PDA

View Full Version : New Stadium on Discovery Channel

37intx
02-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Tempe, AZ – The new Cardinals Stadium will be featured this week in an episode of the Discovery Channel series Extreme Engineering. Cardinals Stadium will be the first episode of the show’s third season and airs Sunday, February 19 at 10:00 p.m. in Arizona. Please check local listings for times in other parts of the country.

The episode will re-air several times, including Monday, February 20 at 2:00 a.m. and again on Sunday, February 26 at 4:00 p.m.

Extreme Engineering highlights architectural and engineering marvels from around the world and documents how each project changed the definition of what was thought possible. The show has previously featured Boston’s “Big Dig” project, the building of an airport in Hong Kong that sits 16 miles out at sea, and the engineering involved in widening the Panama Canal.

The new Cardinals Stadium will be open in time for the 2006 season. The world-class venue will not only feature a retractable roof but will also be the first in North America to feature a fully retractable grass playing surface.

In addition to hosting Cardinals games, the stadium will host the Fiesta Bowl annually as well as the BCS National Championship Game in January of 2007 and Super Bowl XLII in February of 2008. The stadium will have a seating capacity of approximately 63,000 fans with the ability to expand to 73,000 for marquee events.

ZOna_Style
02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the insight on what is on the front page of the cardinals website.:idea:

37intx
02-16-2006, 10:55 AM
:Censored: off :Censored: !!!

:boxing: :boxing:

JLU
02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I actually link straight to the forums without going thru the home page all the time so thanks for the info!

37intx
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I know many do that JLU...which is why I posted the article. You're very welcome by the way.

Mibrilane #56
02-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Awesome. I hope it's also on Discovery HD - I'll be checking on that when I get home. :thumbsup:

Anne
02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the post. Will watch show.

:eyes: :football:

porter55
02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
That is really cool,i will be sure to watch,sounds very interesting,ive seen alot of shows about how they "blow up" the old stadiums from three rivers to the kingdome

it will be far more interesting in seeing what goes into actually building one

skimaniac6
02-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Got the tivo set...Thanks for the heads up!:ok:

LarryCenters_rules
02-17-2006, 08:31 PM
I might be mistaken, but this is probalbly the same as the DVD the season ticket holders recieved with our renewall this year, I believe it was titled something like 'extreme engineering'. It is a good video and i recommend it to anyone who has yet to see it.:thumbsup:

Mibrilane #56
02-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Awesome. I hope it's also on Discovery HD - I'll be checking on that when I get home. :thumbsup:

Sadly, it isn't. :Thumbdown:

PANTONE194C
02-18-2006, 07:15 AM
I might be mistaken, but this is probalbly the same as the DVD the season ticket holders recieved with our renewall this year, I believe it was titled something like 'extreme engineering'. It is a good video and i recommend it to anyone who has yet to see it.:thumbsup:

It's not the same documentary. Jim Omohundro ("Jim O" on the ASFN board) produced that SuperLift 2005 documentary, and has said (again, on the ASFN board) that this is a whole new program.

CardsFanJoe
02-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey Pantone, where did you get some of those pics of the stadium that aren't in the website??

PANTONE194C
02-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Pantone, where did you get some of those pics of the stadium that aren't in the website??

I collect 'em as I find 'em.

I check the AZ-STA site every day for new and pics; however, they haven't updated with any new pics in about two months. Makes me crazy.

And, I took some when I was in the area in early December.

Google works too...

CardsFanJoe
02-18-2006, 02:40 PM
I collect 'em as I find 'em.

I check the AZ-STA site every day for new and pics; however, they haven't updated with any new pics in about two months. Makes me crazy.

And, I took some when I was in the area in early December.

Google works too...

Cool, thanks!
The website hasn't updated in a while either. I WANNA SEE IT!!!

LarryCenters_rules
02-18-2006, 06:07 PM
It's not the same documentary. Jim Omohundro ("Jim O" on the ASFN board) produced that SuperLift 2005 documentary, and has said (again, on the ASFN board) that this is a whole new program.Thanks for the info I will be sure to tune in.

BullheadCardFan
02-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I'll be watching ... :Cards logo:

Anne
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
What channel for Quest cable?

:chicken:

Live on 91st Ave
02-19-2006, 05:10 PM
What channel for Quest cable?

:chicken:

Channel 111

Toro
02-19-2006, 05:21 PM
my tivo guide said 7pm.?

It's GO time
02-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I 'm watching and I love it!:hurray:

It's GO time
02-19-2006, 06:34 PM
From father to son. I hope I can share that kind of life with my son.:explanationmark:

CardsFanJoe
02-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Pretty cool. I thought there would be more up-to-date stuff. But very informative anyway....

RogueCardinal
02-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately that was one of the worst Exteme Engineering episodes I have seen, this new host they have is an idiot. Past episodes were far more professional and informative, why do shows think that the viewer would be interested in watching some little wuss prance around and make jokes. Don't get me wrong I am stoked that they did an episode on the Cards new stadium, but compared to past episodes this was well below standards. The bad thing is that I am a big fan of Extreme Engineering and now I am going to have to deal with this tool for all the new episodes.

JLU
02-22-2006, 11:42 AM
I watched my recording of the show yesterday. All and all, it was interesting to see. I'm amazed by the size of the project and did like how they focused on the 'new' features of the stadium, i.e. the roof and the grass tray.

It did seem that they spent a lot of time focusing on the host's fear of heights, and generally wussyness but at least we got to see something on the stadium.

Mibrilane #56
02-22-2006, 11:58 AM
It did seem that they spent a lot of time focusing on the host's fear of heights, and generally wussyness but at least we got to see something on the stadium.

I think this comes from the general popularity of host-based science shows like the Jeff Corwin Experience or Digging for the Truth. Those shows are good because the host is good, not just because of the format of the show.

The host was a nerdy architect - and not a very interesting person. Also, there was no reason to go to the bar to watch the nerdy guy be nerdy in a bar - what does that have to do with Extreme Engineering?