PDA

View Full Version : Brees Will Not Be Tagged

the wild cards
02-18-2006, 02:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2334609

Okay folks here it is unless Brees comes up with a new deal looks like he will not be FRANCHISE or TRANSITION tagged by SD. If goes on the open market a QB could be falling to us at 10.

The JETS might sign him. MIA or MIN or OAK might sign him. If MIN signs him they would then trade Daunte where? Maybe to OAK for their 1st round pick. What would MIN then draft there? An OL or RB (Lendale White? or more likely a DEANGELO HALL) maybe a VERNON DAVIS. Interesting.

This is going to be one of the WILDEST OFFSEASONS in NFL history!

JimHart
02-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Interesting indeed.

My hunch is that the Chargers are just willing to use the FA market to establish the asking price for an injured QB. If Brees thinks he will get Manning, Vick or Pennington money then IMO he will be very disappointed. Then the Chargers can offer just slightly more than the going rate to get back a QB who has been quite valuable to them.

Despite Brees' success he won't be the hot commodity that someone like Culpepper would be on the open market. There will be suitors no doubt, but nothing the Chargers wouldn't be able to outbid given their cap situation. And even if they end up losing Brees becasue it gets too expensive, they still have Rivers. Smart move if that's what they're doing.

Cardsfan32
02-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Wild Card, I dont think the Vikings will be Drafting Deangelo Hall because he is currently playing for the Falcons. Maybe you mean Deangelo Williams.

ClintonPortis26
02-18-2006, 07:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2334609

Okay folks here it is unless Brees comes up with a new deal looks like he will not be FRANCHISE or TRANSITION tagged by SD. If goes on the open market a QB could be falling to us at 10.

The JETS might sign him. MIA or MIN or OAK might sign him. If MIN signs him they would then trade Daunte where? Maybe to OAK for their 1st round pick. What would MIN then draft there? An OL or RB (Lendale White? or more likely a DEANGELO HALL) maybe a VERNON DAVIS. Interesting.

This is going to be one of the WILDEST OFFSEASONS in NFL history!

Heh, yea and the Redskins just happen to be over 20 million dollars over the cap.

Anyway, thats what you get for signing Warner. Drew Brees will be playing in Miami next season though. Nice fit.

BullheadCardFan
02-18-2006, 07:38 AM
I think Brees is a good QB, but it will take awhile for his injury to heal ...

It could turn out to be a bidding war ... we should not get into the bidding ...

We have Warner now so its time to draft a QBoF and have Kurt tutor him ...

Red Valley
02-18-2006, 07:58 AM
I don't think we need Warner and Brees - way too much of our payroll going to the QB position. I would rather the team draft a QB for Warner to groom (Jacobs, Whitehurst) and maybe try to pick up a backup that is a little lower tier than Brees. Could go after Kitna, Garrard, Volek, or Schaub.

:Cards logo: :rockon:

JimHart
02-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Anyway, thats what you get for signing Warner.

***yawn***
:sleep:

BullheadCardFan
02-18-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't think we need Warner and Brees - way too much of our payroll going to the QB position. I would rather the team draft a QB for Warner to groom (Jacobs, Whitehurst) and maybe try to pick up a backup that is a little lower tier than Brees. Could go after Kitna, Garrard, Volek, or Schaub.

:Cards logo: :rockon:

:iagree:

BullheadCardFan
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Brees nearing possible point of no return

February 18
San Diego Union-Tribune: "Should the impasse between the Chargers and quarterback Drew Brees continue through next week, it appears Brees will be allowed to test the free-agent market and perhaps walk away without the team having any say or receiving any compensation."

Sedd
02-18-2006, 12:59 PM
It's the Chargers fault for letting him play the last week. They knew there was no way of them getting in the playoffs. Rivers should have played the whole game.

Keenum
02-18-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't know. I would like to leave my starters in there for most of the game. You got to have pride for your football team. Even if your 0-15, you have to want to win that final game. Injuries happen in the NFL, you can't blame anyone for it.

Cardinals13
02-18-2006, 02:46 PM
It's the Chargers fault for letting him play the last week. They knew there was no way of them getting in the playoffs. Rivers should have played the whole game.

Yep but their coach is Marty Schottenheimer for crying out loud, one of the dinosraurs of head coaches. Nothing that guy does surprises me anymore. In my opinion he won't even be coach of the Chargers within 2 years.