PDA

View Full Version : Shelton provides Browns with dilemma

BullheadCardFan
02-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Shelton provides Browns with dilemma

February 18
Akron Beacon Journal (registration required): "Which is why the Browns are quietly aware of their situation at a key position -- left tackle. L.J. Shelton remains unsigned heading into free agency."

BullheadCardFan
02-18-2006, 08:27 AM
I find it hard to believe that they actually want to resign him ...

Oaken1
02-19-2006, 10:01 AM
They want to re sign him because he is a capable starter. Not a star by any stretch, he is no Pace, or Jones, but he is capable. Green did everything he could to keep the guy off the field when he got here and still wound up starting him, because he finally could not deny he was better than the other players we had on the field. You can dislike the guy if you choose to, but anyone who knows O-Line play knows Shelton is a pretty good player.

82CardsGrad
02-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Truth is, Shelton would have done no worse than anyone who played for us last year... Of course, neither would my 9 year old son... :iconrolf:

DennisGreenFan
02-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Oaken1:

They want to re sign him because he is a capable starter. Not a star by any stretch, he is no Pace, or Jones, but he is capable. Green did everything he could to keep the guy off the field when he got here and still wound up starting him, because he finally could not deny he was better than the other players we had on the field. You can dislike the guy if you choose to, but anyone who knows O-Line play knows Shelton is a pretty good player.

Were you among the overwhelming number of know-it-all Cardinals alleged Fans on this MB who, one year ago, could not wait to see the backside of the "lazy-***, prone-to-injury bust of a #1 pick Shelton" and his "$3 million wasted-money salary"? The same Shelton that the Buffalo Bills were not willing to trade for the "troubled, disgruntled, and damaged goods" RB Travis Henry?

Hindsight is, indeed, 20/20.

:eyes:

Belac44
02-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Were you among the overwhelming number of know-it-all Cardinals alleged Fans on this MB who, one year ago, could not wait to see the backside of the "lazy-***, prone-to-injury bust of a #1 pick Shelton" and his "$3 million wasted-money salary"? The same Shelton that the Buffalo Bills were not willing to trade for the "troubled, disgruntled, and damaged goods" RB Travis Henry?

There were actually quite a few people on here that didnt want to cut Shelton and I was one of them as well. Is Shelton that much of a bust at #20 or 21 whatever he was? I dont think so...

He wasnt a top 5 tackle in the league, but he is better than Ross or any of the guards we played. I cant comment on his laziness as Im not in the organization and I never witnessed it. I have spoken to LJ a few times and I personally liked the guy. He messed up a few times, but he got more out of him than a lot of other first round picks. Didnt we sign LJ to that new contract? He must have done something worthwhile during his time here. I think its more of a personal thing between Green and LJ.

I didnt realize the Buffalo Bills set the standard for personnel decisions. Also, why would they trade for a guy when everyone knew Green would cut him?

I hate this topic being discussed still because whats done is done, but if people continue to rip on him and agree with the decision to cut him then I will defend those who thinks he should not have been cut.

BigRedVol
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I find it hard to believe that they actually want to resign him ...

They are very interested in re-signing him. Shelton played really well for the Browns.

Browns | Team has Plan B if Shelton becomes too expensive
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:05:51 -0800

Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports Cleveland Browns OT L.J. Shelton remains unsigned headed into free agency. His agent, Vance Larimer, has exchanged proposals with the team, but doesn't see anything heating up until the NFL Combine. Larimer said, "We think he played well enough to establish himself as one of the top 10 to 20 left tackles in the league, and those guys are making $4 million a year on average." If Shelton is too expensive, the team could add a right tackle and move OT Ryan Tucker to left tackle. GM Phil Savage also likes the potential of Georgia Tech OT Nat Dorsey.

crdnl85
02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
There were actually quite a few people on here that didnt want to cut Shelton and I was one of them as well. Is Shelton that much of a bust at #20 or 21 whatever he was? I dont think so...

He wasnt a top 5 tackle in the league, but he is better than Ross or any of the guards we played. I cant comment on his laziness as Im not in the organization and I never witnessed it. I have spoken to LJ a few times and I personally liked the guy. He messed up a few times, but he got more out of him than a lot of other first round picks. Didnt we sign LJ to that new contract? He must have done something worthwhile during his time here. I think its more of a personal thing between Green and LJ.

I didnt realize the Buffalo Bills set the standard for personnel decisions. Also, why would they trade for a guy when everyone knew Green would cut him?

I hate this topic being discussed still because whats done is done, but if people continue to rip on him and agree with the decision to cut him then I will defend those who thinks he should not have been cut.
I wanted to keep him also.But as you say it is done now,and i don't believe DG would ever admit he made a mistake in getting rid of him.

AussieCardinal
02-27-2006, 10:34 PM
lol L.J is not a top 10-20 Tackle sorry

PLCF
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
lol L.J is not a top 10-20 Tackle sorry

When you have guys like Oliver Ross playing tackle for you, you realize how easy it is to suddenly become a top 10-20 tackle.

All the elite tackles can be named almost on one hand.

BullheadCardFan
02-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Browns keep Roye, talk to OT Shelton

February 28
Cleveland Plain Dealer (registration required): "The Browns avoided losing one of their best players on defense Monday when they reached an agreement on a new deal for defensive end Orpheus Roye... Meanwhile, negotiations with offensive left tackle L.J. Shelton heated up as the club sought to lock him up before Friday's anticipated free-agent deadline."

Boldinfan
02-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Shelton wasn't a bad player just some how he got on green bad side. Maybe it was the fact that shelton didn't really want to lose a couple of pounds like green request him to do. With shelton this year i think our running attack could of stood a better chance. i think green first got here knew shelton wasn't one of his players but the past so he tried to force shelton to leave by making him switch position and all that.

Oaken1
03-01-2006, 11:33 AM

No. Actually, I was the one who came out in advance and said he was worth a second round pick, prior to the news that one was being offered. Green had value with Shelton and blew it.
The guy was continually fighting his way back from injuries and breaking the starting lineup regardless of how the staff felt about him. That does not sound like a lazy player to me.