View Full Version : Nightclub assault charges against Pacman dropped ...

03-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Nightclub assault charges against Pacman dropped

Staff Writer

Pacman Jones walked along James Robertson Parkway yesterday morning, relieved that charges against him stemming from a nightclub incident last summer were officially gone and eager to move toward his second season as a cornerback and return man for the Titans.

"It's good to have it over with. I knew everything would work out in the end," he said. "Hopefully I can keep somebody around me at all times so nothing will happen in this manner again."

Jones faced two misdemeanor assault charges and a felony vandalism charge after a July 13 incident at a nightclub called 615 near the Coliseum.

His two accusers, club manager Robert Gaddy and his brother Lamar Woodson, spoke with Assistant District Attorney Shannon Poindexter during a recess before the case was called.

Then they both told Judge John P. Brown they didn't want to pursue the case. Brown questioned their intentions in filing the charges only to try to retract them, and scolded them for the appearance of financial motivation. Gaddy softly denied he was looking for a payday before Brown officially dismissed the case.

"I've been wanting this stuff to be over with for months," Gaddy said afterward. "There wasn't no blood shed. This is over, said and done with … He's been coming to the bar on a few occasions and he's been acting like a civilized gentleman, so I have no problem with him. He can frequent my spot as much as he wants … and he'll be back. We're all good."

Gaddy and Woodson didn't show up for Jones' last court date on Dec. 8, but the district attorney's office asked for one more chance to have them present to address the charges they filed.

Earlier that week the two sides resolved their civil cases, which included a $7.5 million lawsuit by Jones, charging conspiracy, defamation and slander, and a countersuit by Gaddy, claiming assault and battery, as well as defamation. Gaddy was seeking compensatory and punitive damages.

Details of the resolution were kept private.

"I think he will acknowledge that he got upset and so did Mr. Gaddy," said Jones' attorney, Roger May. "And that's where the account sort of differs. Mr. Jones does not admit that an assault occurred or any vandalism occurred. But there were some angry people out there that night and the situation sort of escalated."

In his rookie season, Jones was often the center of controversy with the Titans.

After the incident and arrest on July 13 he held out for the bulk of training camp during contract negotiations. He worked his way into the starting lineup by the fourth game and steadily improved in pass coverage before wearing down a bit at season's end.

As a dynamic return man, he helped the Titans improve a major problem area. He ranked fourth in the NFL with a 26.2-yard kickoff return average and was AFC Special Teams Player of the Week after returning a punt 52 yards for a touchdown in a December win over Houston.

But he had a shouting match with an opposing coach walking off the field at the end of one game. He was the central figure in a late-season locker room debate pertaining to the payment of clubhouse dues.

And in the season finale in Jacksonville, Coach Jeff Fisher pulled him from the game after he drew consecutive penalties for unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct.

Jones spoke yesterday of lessons learned from the court proceedings.

"I learned a lot — pick my times and places as to where to go," he said. "I still feel I was never wrong in the matter, but everything happens for a reason. I could have handled the situation a whole lot differently. Me and Gaddy are on good terms and I hope we can start a new beginning from right now."

After numerous off-the-field incidents by his players last offseason, Fisher said at his season wrap-up in January that he would have a "no tolerance" policy for such legal issues this offseason. Jones said he's doing his part.

"I don't know what's going to happen. I could have somebody knock at my door tomorrow bringing me to court," Jones said. "In this system you don't even have to do anything wrong to get a warrant put out on you. So I can't say I ain't going to be in court. I can tell you I'm going to do my best to stay on a straight line so I won't have to be in these situations."

Said May: "Since he hasn't been in any more trouble since this incident occurred, it's a pretty good indication that he's learned from the past."

Jones, who wore a tan suit and sneakers to court, said he's spent a lot of time in California and Jacksonville since the season ended. His Jacksonville-based agent, Michael Huyghue, was at his side yesterday.

Jones was in Atlanta for the birth of his daughter, Zaniyah Christine Jones, on Feb. 22.

He said while he may work out in Jacksonville between now and the official start of the Titans' offseason conditioning program later this month, he expects to be a regular presence at Baptist Sports Park and knows his teammates need to see him at work.

"It's very important. I'm one of the only guys that's been there the last two weeks working out. I got an early jump on everybody. I want everybody to know I am here to be a better team player," he said.

"All the hype and stuff is irrelevant. … Mentally and emotionally I am ready this year, so everything should be pretty good." •

03-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Pacman cleaning up his act ... ???

Portland Card
03-07-2006, 10:19 AM
"Hopefully I can keep somebody around me at all times so nothing will happen in this manner again."

He admits he needs a sitter ???:iconrolf:

03-09-2006, 06:08 AM
LOL :clapping: