PDA

View Full Version : The Great Lawn is tore up!

about70
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone drove by UPS on the 101 lately? The Great Lawn has been bulldozed at least a foot deep, maybe more. It's all dirt and sprinkler heads. We're less than a month from the first game! Any comments on this? Are they laying new sod to make it super lush and extra "great"?

:cardinals:

SEZ
07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
How about retreeing? Replace the ones that died and remember to put the Bird Bath back.

:Cards logo:

bluefive5
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Replace the dead trees? The Cardinals pride themselves in making the visitors die of heat exhaustion at home games. Oh, that was back on the playing field at SDS. Now it's only the home fans on the great lawn that this game plan is still used.

What a joke. Spend $300 million of public taxes on a stadium and fix everything except the the "red leaf" trees that died within six weeks of planting. Wait two years and spend another $70,000 on lawyers and arbitration judges in order to place blame on who should pay for replacement trees. The initial contract was for 100 gallon (instant shade) trees. The settlement was for 15 gallon twigs that will produce shade for the Great Lawn in about six years.

azbmxican
07-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I did kinda miss the trees. Hoping to see them grow. Then they died:Thumbdown:

azcrdnal
07-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Anyone drove by UPS on the 101 lately? The Great Lawn has been bulldozed at least a foot deep, maybe more. It's all dirt and sprinkler heads. We're less than a month from the first game! Any comments on this? Are they laying new sod to make it super lush and extra "great"?

:cardinals:say bye to the lawn they are building a four story parking garage and retail.

marshall88
07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
say bye to the lawn they are building a four story parking garage and retail.

Do you have a link for this? Because I think the Great Lawn was required by the City as a retention area for the parking lot.

KidStallyn
07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Do you have a link for this? Because I think the Great Lawn was required by the City as a retention area for the parking lot.

That has to be **. No way they would rip up the great lawn for a 4 story parking garage.

reeder15
07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
They're laying new sod. I work at the Margaritaville and drive by it everyday. Nothing to worry about!

azbmxican
07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
good news and thanks for the heads up. maybe we can get new trees as well.

skimaniac6
07-23-2008, 03:22 AM
The lawn got torn up pretty bad at the Super Bowl last year, anyone rememeber all the rain? When I left the NFL Experience the day after the game there were ruts a foot deep and they were still on tearing it all down. I'm surprised they waited this long, when I put in sod I wouldn't even let my dog on it for 3 weeks.:redtowel:

Carddan
07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
910 am this morning stated the the lawn would not be usable until regular season game one in Sept.

kjbad
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Smart. Don't let anybody screw it up before the season...but they had better hope we don't get some killer monsoon storm to screw things up.

donnasaurus
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
910 am this morning stated the the lawn would not be usable until regular season game one in Sept.

Boy, will there be a bunch of surprised people that won't have this info before the games. There's going to be some really upset people with all their lawn setup gear.
This is just sad, and like the tickets coming so close to the opener, the lawn being redone this late is why?

KidStallyn
07-24-2008, 08:27 AM
GREAT LAWN UPDATE

The creation of the Great Lawn within Sportsman's Park was designed to provide our fans with a meeting location for family and friends before each Cardinals game. The original construction of the Great Lawn featured sycamore trees around the perimeter for shade and over 5 acres of turf for tailgating. However, we had challenges maintaining the growth of the trees and water never drained properly from the center of the turf after monsoon rain storms. The Great Lawn was not completed to our expectations to provide the best possible location for our fans.

Within the last month, the Cardinals and Hunt Construction agreed on a remediation plan for the Great Lawn. This work will include the removal of the current turf to correct the drainage and soil characteristics. The entire Great Lawn will be resodded by the end of month and trees again will be planted around the perimeter during the cooler weather in late October. The Great Lawn will finally meet our standards to provide Cardinals fans the best tailgating location in the National Football League.

After installation at the end of the month, the new sod will require a minimum of four weeks to take root before it can be opened to foot traffic. For our two pre-season games in August, the Great Lawn turf will be closed to fans. The landscaped perimeter of the Great Lawn will be available and the lawn area south of Gate 1 will also be open for fans to use. The Great Lawn is expected to re-open on Sunday, September 14 for the start of the regular season.

DesertDave
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Got the update email this morning too.

Kudos to the organization for recognizing that something they wanted to be a top notch feature hadn't panned out that way, and being willing to step up with the cash to do something about it.

ABQCardsFan
07-24-2008, 02:51 PM
That has to be **. No way they would rip up the great lawn for a 4 story parking garage.

Not to mention that would be a traffic nightmare getting out of there after gametime.

NinjaMonkey
07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
They're laying new sod. I work at the Margaritaville and drive by it everyday. Nothing to worry about!

yeah what he said I live real close and drive by the stadium at least twice a day.

donnasaurus
07-24-2008, 11:44 PM
yeah what he said I live real close and drive by the stadium at least twice a day.

Ninja Monkey, have you checked your Private Messages?

reeder15
07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
The funny thing is for me is that in the 2 years we have had the stadium I have never been to the great lawn. I am in the green, so to me that is like walking to Texas!

kjbad
07-25-2008, 07:08 AM
"The Great Lawn is tore up" is obviously a prophetic statement about the Cardinals and their contract situations right now...maybe about70 can tell me the winning lotto numbers too. :)

Tailgater
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
The funny thing is for me is that in the 2 years we have had the stadium I have never been to the great lawn. I am in the green, so to me that is like walking to Texas!

I'm in green too but last year my regular crew all blew off the last game of the year so I went over there with another buddy. Great tailgate area. I'm happy where I'm at but it just goes to show, the more you experience other things (in any part of life) the more you learn.

about70
07-28-2008, 07:39 AM
"The Great Lawn is tore up" is obviously a prophetic statement about the Cardinals and their contract situations right now...maybe about70 can tell me the winning lotto numbers too. :)

Sure thing KJ . . . they are:
7 11 29 32 81 90

GCU has football in '09???? You part of this?