PDA

View Full Version : allen signs with the 49ers

20YRFAN
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
49ers | Allen agrees to terms
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:12:28 -0800

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers have agreed to terms with free agent OG Larry Allen (Cowboys), pending a physical. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

BigDinGlenDale
03-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Wonderful. At least the wild cards will get to see first hand that he isn't washed up.:banghead:

BullheadCardFan
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
49ers | Allen agrees to terms
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:12:28 -0800

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers have agreed to terms with free agent OG Larry Allen (Cowboys), pending a physical. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

I really think Denny was asleep at the wheel on this one ... this will prove that he had plenty of life left in him ....

cardsbestinthewest
03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
i hope he doesnt pass the physical....

Jmoreno
03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
The cards will be sorry for not taking a look at him. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS TEAM DOING ABOUT THEIR OL? The edge will need a line to run behind and the guys they have now scare me. SAME OLD CARDINALS

the wild cards
03-23-2006, 04:59 PM
The worst FRONT OFFICE in football the GENIUSES who drafted Alex Smith #1 just signed him. What does that tell you?

Way to rebuild your team 49ers GOOD PLAN.

By the way the Cowboys would rather have KOSIER on there team then Allen. I think Parcells knows more then the SF Front Office.

Kosier was one of the guys Green was after too.

Mookie
03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
I really think Denny was asleep at the wheel on this one ... this will prove that he had plenty of life left in him ....

Why sign Allen when you have 6+ million tied up in your two starting guards already? We have 3 young guards that show potential to be the next "Larry Allen"... You cant give up on young players after one season.

Legend of Gunny
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Agreed, Bullhead.

I had hoped to enjoy watching an Arizona Cardinal offensive guard who had once squatted nearly half a ton and benched 770 lbs! And I believe he's the only NFL player to have made the Pro Bowl at two offensive line positions (guard and tackle).

And he would have provided the line with much-needed veteran leadership, with his SB rings, pro bowls, and likely future hall-of-fame status.

Anyone know how much the 9ers paid for him?

Jmoreno
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
larry allen makes this OL i whole lot better ,and what young OL showed promise last year? they need veteran leadership which alone would improve the play on the field. you people are so immune to losing that u refuse to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This OL needs help and allen would be a strong band aid to help our o-line until these young get some experience. This team is so close to winning I can taste it but we need more than The Edge to make the playoff we need a OL to block for him.

Big D
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM

This sucks, Allen has at least another pro bowl year or two in him, then probably a year or two of above average play after that. His presense alone is going to give his young QB a lot more confidence when he drops back to pass, oh and we have to play them twice.

I think they botched the Wells deal, I know Allen wasn't cut until after they had already matched but since they ended up giving him $5 mil for this season there was no way they would/could be interested in Allen. They could have let BUF give Wells all that money, taken that #6 and given that $5 mil (probably less) to Allen for a year or two and let E. Brown learn from one of the all time greats, a legend that is still performing at very high level. Then Elton takes over in a season or two or three, serving as a quality depth in the interim.

Instead what they have done is made 1 change on the starting o-line from a year ago,(sound familiar?) a year in which our line was as bad as it's ever been here, and that's really saying something. I do see that Wells has an upside and actually think he is decent and all but the Cards are basically banking on him raising his play to a probowl type level over the next few seasons, for our sake, hopefully that happens. I personally just haven't seen a whole lot that makes me think it's going to happen. We'll see. The west will be interesting this year with all of the change going down, that's for sure.

Jmoreno
03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
i have a buddy that is a huge texan fan and he said this guy is a project to say the least. This team as FAILED to address their OL and this WILL be the one weakness that will once again keep us out of the playoffs.

I will be the first to call for the FIRING of Rod Graves!!!

the wild cards
03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Cards have a plan sign younger FAs who have an upside.
They are going to stick to that plan.
It's been that way for 3 offseasons.

I like their plan better then SFs.

BigDinGlenDale
03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
By the way the Cowboys would rather have KOSIER on there team then Allen.

Actually Allen was cut due to money issues, not because they didn't want him.

Jmoreno
03-23-2006, 05:42 PM
so change it or lose your job because this plan is not working just look at the teams record in the last three years.

1arizonafan
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
ive wanted him fired since plummer and boston walked with no compensation.remeber the trade down that brought us bj and pace.

footballdan
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Larry Allen is worth every penny. Cardinals needed Allen.

Mookie
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Would you rather sign one player in Allen and have it eat up all your FA money so you cant fill any other places like DT, LB, or CB?

the wild cards
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Actually Allen was cut due to money issues, not because they didn't want him.
Uh no sorry they gave Allen's money to Kosier. They could have kept Allen and given him Kosier's money. Cowboys have lots of cap they could have reworked his deal or could have not signed other FAs.

1arizonafan
03-23-2006, 06:13 PM
:Cards logo: the niners are quietly going about fa and landed themselves a great piece in allen to run right over our defense.this is getting me sick i can understand being hopeful with the oline we have but were not looking at defensive fa still out there.someone needs to tell graves and green YOUR NOT THE PATS.they win thats why players sign with them for less.az is so sitting on there laurels and they will sit at home at playoff time.at this point i wouldnt be surprised if the whiners beat us.sf with a colledge team lost barely to us.what scares me more is does green really think this will turn 5 and 11 into 9 and 7.1 and done denny shouldve stuck to the game plan.

Oaken1
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
:Cards logo: the niners are quietly going about fa and landed themselves a great piece in allen to run right over our defense.this is getting me sick i can understand being hopeful with the oline we have but were not looking at defensive fa still out there.someone needs to tell graves and green YOUR NOT THE PATS.they win thats why players sign with them for less.az is so sitting on there laurels and they will sit at home at playoff time.at this point i wouldnt be surprised if the whiners beat us.sf with a colledge team lost barely to us.what scares me more is does green really think this will turn 5 and 11 into 9 and 7.1 and done denny shouldve stuck to the game plan.

Jesus ******* CHRIST you are RIGHT!!! It is HOPELESS, why don't we all just go shoot ourselves in the head RIGHT NOW!!

You go ahead, I will be next.

the wild cards
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
What is going on??? Did the 49ers just sign EDGE and we just sign ALLEN???? Oh no we signed EDGE they signed ALLEN heeelloooo!

We are going to DESTROY the 49ers next year. They will be lucky to win 5 games next year we're going to have at least 10 wins.

Only in AZ are people crying cause the GREAT Larry Allen is gone are they crying in 31 cities EVEN DALLAS abou the loss of a 35 year old guard?????????????????????????

nice stadium
03-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Uh no sorry they gave Allen's money to Kosier. They could have kept Allen and given him Kosier's money. Cowboys have lots of cap they could have reworked his deal or could have not signed other FAs.

Oh God. Have u ever seen Kosier Play? He is HORRIBLE!!! Getting Kosier is more like a booby prize.

AussieCardinal
03-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Oh God. Have u ever seen Kosier Play? He is HORRIBLE!!! Getting Kosier is more like a booby prize.
haha booby prize!:iconrolf:

Northern Soul
03-24-2006, 06:26 AM
What is going on??? Did the 49ers just sign EDGE and we just sign ALLEN???? Oh no we signed EDGE they signed ALLEN heeelloooo!

We are going to DESTROY the 49ers next year. They will be lucky to win 5 games next year we're going to have at least 10 wins.

Only in AZ are people crying cause the GREAT Larry Allen is gone are they crying in 31 cities EVEN DALLAS abou the loss of a 35 year old guard?????????????????????????

As Allen is one of the Elite guards in the NFL. It is probably safe to assume fans of many teams are wishing they could have signed him for a few years.

If I was to have a bet I would back, more O line coaches in the NFL (If answering honestly) would think that Allen on their line improves it, than thought otherwise. Especially in 2006.

BullheadCardFan
03-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Would you rather sign one player in Allen and have it eat up all your FA money so you cant fill any other places like DT, LB, or CB?
Allen wouldn't of eaten up that much $$$ ... signing Edge ate up our $$$ ... and if we would have handled Wells different and made him the mid level tender at $1.5 mil then I believe we would have saved about $2-3 mil this year ... which we could have used toward someone like Allen ...

CardinalChris
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
We had the $$$ to spend so I love the Edgerrin signing but I would have loved to see the Cardinals get Larry Allen also. He was a bargain for the Niners and it is only for two years. As a former Niner season ticket holder, I am happy to see them get him back to NorCal but with them being "further away" than us (the cardinals), I would have liked us to get him for the 2 years. He plays mean and we could use the on the O-line.
Good job Niners...