PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2006 Early Predictions

t2s666
04-11-2006, 10:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2403752

SportsNation's 2006 NFL Predictions

AFC East SN Prediction Reality
Miami.............12-4 Nick Saban is quickly turning this team around.
New England...11-5 Unless healthy, hard to imagine an improvement over 2005.
Buffalo...........9-7 Can the Bills win? Or will their QB be J.P. "Loss-man"?
New York........9-7 Too many question marks to forecast winning season.

AFC North SN Prediction Reality
Pittsburgh......15-1 Can they win 15 games for second season in a row? No.
Cincinnati.......12-4 Is 12 wins possible? Only if Carson Palmer is healthy.
Cleveland........9-7 At least this team appears on the rise.
Baltimore........7-9 Even SportsNation forecasts only a one-game improvement.

AFC South SN Prediction Reality
Indianapolis....15-1 Last year's machine "only" went 14-2.
Jacksonville....15-1 Playoff team? Sure. But 15 wins? Please.
Houston.........7-9 Reggie Bush and Eric Moulds could make this a possibility.
Tennessee......7-9 In a word . . . no.

AFC West SN Prediction Reality
Denver..........14-2 Broncos could lose at least two games in the division alone.
Kansas City....13-3 Highly doubtful with aging, injury-susceptible roster.
San Diego......10-6 If Philip Rivers is the next Bernie Kosar, 10 wins is possible.
Oakland.........10-6 Bay Area water may be contaminated, causing hallucinations.

NFC East SN Prediction Reality
Dallas............14-2 Very solid team, but Bledsoe could lose two games on his own.
Washington....13-3 Another big jump in wins is unlikely.
New York.......12-4 12 wins doesn't even get you to NFC playoffs in BizarroNation.
Philadelphia....9-7 This could be one of the couple teams we'd take the ''over'' on.

NFC North SN Prediction Reality
Chicago........13-3 13 may be too many, but who forecasted 11 wins last season?
Minnesota.....12-4 Double digits should thrill new head coach Brad Childress.
Detroit..........10-6 Wow. Harrington is out and suddenly the Lions are contenders?
Green Bay......10-6 Favre or no Favre, this is 2006, right?

NFC South SN Prediction Reality
Carolina........14-2 Very dangerous, but a tough division to reach 14 wins.
Tampa Bay....14-2 Chris Simms is still learning Gruden's system. No chance.
Atlanta.........12-4 Certainly possible if Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn are healthy.
New Orleans...9-7 Drew Brees for Aaron Brooks is an upgrade, but nine wins?

NFC West SN Prediction Reality
Seattle............14-2 Formerly pessimistic Seattle fans have turned over a new leaf.
St. Louis..........10-6 In this division it would seem anything is possible.
Arizona.............8-8 A championship contender . . . if this were Arena Football.
San Francisco....8-8 See Oakland above.

Mookie
04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I dont understand how no team has less then 7 wins...

t2s666
04-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Homerism at its best
Here's hoping we can agree on something real quick, before we move on here. In nearly every NFL game, there is a winner and a loser, right?
Just checking because the combined records above are 358-154, for a sterling .699 average winning percentage. While you expect a little "homerism", it's not even close. Naturally, there have to be the same number of wins as losses, so the "homerism" epidemic is apparently widespread. How bad is it?

It's so bad that SportsNation only has two teams finishing below .500 (Texans and Titans at 7-9). In addition, six teams were voted to win 14 games or more, including a trio of AFC heavyweights going 15-1.

Can it be? Every team will improve?
Yet another impossibility from the poll results deals with the fact that SportsNation forecasts each team will improve its win total from last season. While we certainly endorse the power of positive thinking, you'll really be sick of the word parity if this happens.
Three teams would make six-game improvements from 2005: Green Bay, New Orleans and Oakland; Meanwhile, four others are forecast to make five-game jumps in the win column (Dallas, Detroit, N.Y. Jets and Houston).

We don't mean to make too much fun of you, SportsNation (OK, yes we do). But may you enjoy your team's season in 2006 as much as we've enjoyed making light of the results.

BullheadCardFan
04-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I dont understand how no team has less then 7 wins...
I noticed that too .. only three teams have losing records ... is this guy trying to cover his butt or what ...???

BullheadCardFan
04-11-2006, 10:29 AM
It's so bad that SportsNation only has two teams finishing below .500 (Texans and Titans at 7-9).

Actually its 3 teams ...

Baltimore........7-9 Even SportsNation forecasts only a one-game improvement.

Houston.........7-9 Reggie Bush and Eric Moulds could make this a possibility.

Tennessee......7-9 In a word . . . no.

native az
04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Stupid, just stupid. Has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

CardsFanJoe
04-11-2006, 11:14 AM
The smartest thing about this is that no one attached their name to it....

t2s666
04-11-2006, 11:36 AM
*** did this get moved??? It clearly invloves the Cardinals????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

ZOna_Style
04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
lol...riiiiigggghhht

DennisGreenIsAGreatCoach
04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Ridiculous article. Yeah, the 49'ers are going to be as good as the Cards.....

the wild cards
04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
How do these guys have jobs???

You could take any poster of this board and he/she could write a better article!

NightHawk11and81
04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Wild cards, I don't think you actually read it. These are not ESPN's picks. These are SportsNation's picks, the fans voting on their own team. The captions are the ESPN guy's response to the idiotic picks by the SportsNation voters. ESPN did a nice job with their responses. SportsNation, not so much.

cardsbestinthewest
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
i was going to say

these are sportsnation's picks not a writers

so obviously everyone wants to predict the best for their own teams i mean come on two 15-1 teams in the same division?

what!

but yes these records would def not come out equally

:wink:

cardsbestinthewest
04-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Here's hoping we can agree on something real quick, before we move on here. In nearly every NFL game, there is a winner and a loser, right?
Just checking because the combined records above are 358-154, for a sterling .699 average winning percentage. While you expect a little "homerism", it's not even close. Naturally, there have to be the same number of wins as losses, so the "homerism" epidemic is apparently widespread. How bad is it?

It's so bad that SportsNation only has two teams finishing below .500 (Texans and Titans at 7-9). In addition, six teams were voted to win 14 games or more, including a trio of AFC heavyweights going 15-1.

Can it be? Every team will improve?
Yet another impossibility from the poll results deals with the fact that SportsNation forecasts each team will improve its win total from last season. While we certainly endorse the power of positive thinking, you'll really be sick of the word parity if this happens.
Three teams would make six-game improvements from 2005: Green Bay, New Orleans and Oakland; Meanwhile, four others are forecast to make five-game jumps in the win column (Dallas, Detroit, N.Y. Jets and Houston).

We don't mean to make too much fun of you, SportsNation (OK, yes we do). But may you enjoy your team's season in 2006 as much as we've enjoyed making light of the results.

==rest of article

Red Valley
04-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Oakland, Green Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco, Buffalo, San Diego, Minnesota. IMO all of the above teams are going to be horrible next season.

PLCF
04-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Oakland, Green Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco, Buffalo, San Diego, Minnesota. IMO all of the above teams are going to be horrible next season.

I bet at least one of them ends up doing well.

HOU, SF, GB, BUF, NO I see all doing bad.

OAK, SD will be so so.

Minnesota will be good, they are in a division where only 'da Bears don't roll over. GB/DET are rollovers, which means 4 wins automatically for the Vikings.

Red Valley
04-12-2006, 06:25 AM
I bet at least one of them ends up doing well.

HOU, SF, GB, BUF I see all doing bad.

OAK, SD will be so so.

Minnesota will be good, they are in a division where only 'da Bears don't roll over. GB/DET are rollovers, which means 4 wins automatically for the Vikings.

The only team that I mentioned that I think has an outside chance of doing good is Minnesota. You're right the NFC North is a horrible division. The other teams I mentioned are just too much in flux...Too many new QB's and too much transition to be successful.

KidStallyn
04-12-2006, 07:48 AM
ESPN conducted a poll on every team and what you thought thier record would be. They compiled all the votes and averaged out everything. That's why you see no team with less then 7 wins. Then ESPN put thier comments next to what America says....

Reckon
04-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I think we should have been warned to not open this thread so not to spoil the surprise upon seeing next season's results. :sarcasm:

Cards_fan40
04-13-2006, 11:12 PM
****, are those records even possiable? Are there enough wins to go around to that many teams?

AussieCardinal
04-14-2006, 06:46 AM
8-8 for us was very reasonable!

jvguballa
04-15-2006, 01:04 PM
I read this on the espn page a while ago and actually you guys are misunderstanding. What they did is asked fans of each of the teams how they thought their team was going to do next year. Of course, every fan thinks that their team will improve so that is why virtually all the teams have a winning record. The comment after is what the writer thinks about the prediction.