PDA

View Full Version : Has Any Coach Won Super Bowls With More Than 1 Team?

NJCardFan
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I know there have been coaches who have coached more than 1 team to the Super Bowl, but has any won with 2 different teams? I don't think so. Here are the ones, and this is from memory, who have coached different teams to the Super Bowl:

Bill Parcells(2 wins with Giants/1 loss with Patriots)

Don Shula(1 loss with Colts/2 wins with Dolphins)

Mike Holmgren(1 win with Packers/1 loss with Seahawks)

Dick Vermeil(1 loss with Eagles/1 win with Rams)

Am I missing anybody?

HollywoodLeo
01-12-2010, 10:31 AM
It's wikipedia, so take it FWIW, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl

Neveralities

There has never been a Super Bowl overtime, although three games have been tied in the final minute.
There has never been a Super Bowl shutout; every Super Bowl participant to date has scored at least 3 points.
No Super Bowl has ever been scoreless at halftime.
No team or head coach has won more than two consecutive Super Bowls
No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different clubs.
No starting quarterback has ever won Super Bowls on two different teams. (Twice starting QBs have have played on different teams but each has only won once.)
No Super Bowl host has ever played in the Super Bowl.

And since none of the head coaches still in it have never won it before (Wisenhunt being the only one that's even been that far as a HC) it won't be happening this year.

Five coaches have taken two different clubs to the Super Bowl: Don Shula (Colts and Dolphins), Dick Vermeil (Eagles and Rams), Bill Parcells (Giants and Patriots), Dan Reeves (Broncos and Falcons]] and Mike Holmgren (Packers and Seahawks).

Tenjikuronin
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Mike Holmgren(1 win with Packers/1 loss with Seahawks)

Holmgren went twice with the Packers....winning the first time and losing the second.

Daser
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
•No starting quarterback has ever won Super Bowls on two different teams. (Twice starting QBs have have played on different teams but each has only won once.)

I would like to see this one be broken this year.

Seahawks4ever
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Although, Don Shula's Baltimore Colts were AFL Champions a couple of times I believe. They lost SB 3, but before there were SB's they won AFL titles, which was the original league.

He then went on to win SB's with the Miami Dolphins. So in a way, he's the only coach to win championships with two different teams.

HollywoodLeo
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
The Colts weren't in the AFL. They were an NFL franchise that moved to the AFC after the merger.

That's why they were able to play the Jets in Super Bowl 3 (Which was the Colts' last year in the NFL/C)

edit: Shula never won the NFL championship. If you don't count winning it before facing the Jets in SB III anyways. (Since it was still the "NFL Championship" that year)

NJCardFan
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
The Colts are the only franchise to represent both the NFL and then the AFC. They along with the Browns and Steelers moved to the AFC as a part of the merger. And I forgot about Reeves who I believe is tied with Levy and Bud Grant with the most losses.

TyPaige
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
No Super Bowl host has ever played in the Super Bowl.

Of course, most of the Superbowls appear in Florida

NJCardFan
01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Of course, most of the Superbowls appear in Florida

The closest were the Rams when they played the Steelers in the Rose Bowl.

HollywoodLeo
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
The closest were the Rams when they played the Steelers in the Rose Bowl.

Super Bowl XIX was close with the 49ers playing at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, Ca.

NJCardFan
01-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Bowl XIX was close with the 49ers playing at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, Ca.
Forgot about that one because in '89 when Candlestick was damaged by the earthquake the 9ers played in that stadium.

GreisenFan14
01-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Lets hope a superbowl never goes into OT. Its too skewed a system for such a high stakes game.

STEVE-O!
01-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
•No starting quarterback has ever won Super Bowls on two different teams. (Twice starting QBs have have played on different teams but each has only won once.)

I would like to see this one be broken this year.

Shh....be careful what we wish for. Need to specify that it be broken by Kurt Warner. It's feasible that a certain over-used, over-hyped sports name could also conceivably break this record. Although I'd have to think that most of the sports fans in this country would prefer it to be Warner.

Jumper
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree. I would rather that it be Warner as well.

Jumper
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Lets hope a superbowl never goes into OT. Its too skewed a system for such a high stakes game.

Rackers is still a go to guy. I would have liked to have seen him make the chipshot though. But we would have missed the coolest ending that we got with adams sack Danbys TD.

dirtybird
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
I think playoff games need to embrace the college OT rules.

HollywoodLeo
01-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I think playoff games need to embrace the college OT rules.

Screw that. As horrible as the current set up is that would be even worse.

Arizona and Green Bay would still be playing.

They just need to make it so that each team gets the ball on offense at least one time.

STEVE-O!
01-15-2010, 02:40 PM
So you're saying like a chance to match. Like Beer Pong rules almost. Or a shoot-off.

After a team scores, the other team gets 1 possession to try and score to tie the game, as long as it is within the 15 mins allocated for the quarter. If a team scores with only 2 minutes left on the clock, the other team has two minutes to try and match it. If time runs out, you lose. I think this would kind of incorporated both the current nfl system and the college system.

All that being said, I kind of like the current sudden death format (especially because we didnt get screwed by the coin flip last week). It renews my faith in sudden death a little bit.

NJCardFan
01-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Screw that. As horrible as the current set up is that would be even worse.

Arizona and Green Bay would still be playing.

They just need to make it so that each team gets the ball on offense at least one time.
Then adopt the Arena Football League overtime rules. Each team gets a crack but it's done traditionally. You have a coin toss and the winner gets to choose. If the team that gets the ball first scores, they kickoff to the other team. If the other team doesn't re-tie the game up, game over. If the first team doesn't score and the 2nd team does, game over. If neither score or they both score, then the game goes into sudden death. Here's a scenario on how this played out in a game I saw:

Chicago at Philly. Game goes into OT. Philly wins the toss and elects to receive. They score and are up by 7. Chicago gets the ball next(again, traditional kickoff) and they end up scoring. This provided an interesting dilemma to Hohensee . He elected to go for 2 to win it but failed and he lost because he didn't want Philly to have the ball again. I think this is the best OT rules I've ever seen.

HollywoodLeo
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Then adopt the Arena Football League overtime rules. Each team gets a crack but it's done traditionally. You have a coin toss and the winner gets to choose. If the team that gets the ball first scores, they kickoff to the other team. If the other team doesn't re-tie the game up, game over. If the first team doesn't score and the 2nd team does, game over. If neither score or they both score, then the game goes into sudden death. Here's a scenario on how this played out in a game I saw:

Chicago at Philly. Game goes into OT. Philly wins the toss and elects to receive. They score and are up by 7. Chicago gets the ball next(again, traditional kickoff) and they end up scoring. This provided an interesting dilemma to Hohensee . He elected to go for 2 to win it but failed and he lost because he didn't want Philly to have the ball again. I think this is the best OT rules I've ever seen.

I like this.

I like it for the regular season as well.

AussieCardinal
01-16-2010, 05:20 AM
I'd go to another quarter.

Or even use the Draw rule in place here for Australian Rules and that is to simply come back next week and have another game.