Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why We Can't Catch the Rapist in Chandler...

Default Why We Can't Catch the Rapist in Chandler...

Calling rapist a Hispanic irks radio station
    Nicole Beyer, Tribune

Chandler police will not alter their description of the Chandler Rapist despite complaints from a Valley radio station about the department’s use of the word “Hispanic” to describe the attacker.

“I think this is racial profiling,” said Mayra Nieves, vice president of programming for KMYL (1190 AM).

Nieves said Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race -- and many Hispanics are white or black. She said ethnicity should not be used when describing an attacker. Instead she said she would describe the Chandler Rapist as having “dark skin.”

But Chandler police spokesman Sgt. Rick Griner said his department will stand by its description, saying they release the details the victims give them.

“It would be irresponsible on our part to change or alter that,” he said.

Since June 2006, police said the Chandler Rapist has sexually assaulted five girls between the ages of 12 and 14 in the area around Andersen Junior High School. In each case, Griner said the attacker threatens his victims with a weapon and then sexually assaults them.

Police said another incident on Thursday could be the work of the same attacker. An intruder broke into a home in the 1600 block of West Temple Street and attacked a 15-year-old girl about 6 a.m. after her single father went to work.

The girl's two younger siblings were the only other people home at the time of the intrusion. Griner said the girl was not sexually assaulted, but he refused to say if she was touched or fondled.

He said the intruder used the same method of operation when breaking into the girl’s home, but police have not yet determined whether the case is linked to the Chandler Rapist.

Police said they have been interviewing construction workers at nearby Andersen Junior High School because three out of the five confirmed Chandler Rapist sexual assaults have occurred in the school’s attendance area.

Construction worker Juan Mendez said he was questioned for two hours Thursday starting at about 6:15 a.m., shortly after the attack. Mendez said in Spanish that he’s not angry police interrogated him, although he said police treated him with suspicion.

“I feel bad because they treated me like a delinquent,” he said.

Andersen Junior High Principal Jim Anderson said the latest victim does not attend his school because she’s of high school age, but he said the incident happened “very close to our school, within about a half to three-quarters of a mile.”

He said that’s why he continues to send safety tips home with students.

“When you walk to school or a bus stop, walk in groups,” Anderson said. “Don’t go by yourself.”

Griner said this predator does surveillance on his victims, so it’s likely he targets girls at places such as bus stops, schools and after-school activities.

Police describe the Chandler Rapist as Hispanic, 28 to 40 years old, short with a muscular build, dark hair and hazel or brown eyes. In Thursday morning’s home intrusion, the victim told police he was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.
    Not supposed to fit in...

Quote Originally Posted by kjbad View Post
    Calling rapist a Hispanic irks radio station
    Nicole Beyer, Tribune

Chandler police will not alter their description of the Chandler Rapist despite complaints from a Valley radio station about the department’s use of the word “Hispanic” to describe the attacker.

“I think this is racial profiling,” said Mayra Nieves, vice president of programming for KMYL (1190 AM).

Nieves said Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race -- and many Hispanics are white or black. She said ethnicity should not be used when describing an attacker. Instead she said she would describe the Chandler Rapist as having “dark skin.”

But Chandler police spokesman Sgt. Rick Griner said his department will stand by its description, saying they release the details the victims give them.

“It would be irresponsible on our part to change or alter that,” he said.

Since June 2006, police said the Chandler Rapist has sexually assaulted five girls between the ages of 12 and 14 in the area around Andersen Junior High School. In each case, Griner said the attacker threatens his victims with a weapon and then sexually assaults them.

Police said another incident on Thursday could be the work of the same attacker. An intruder broke into a home in the 1600 block of West Temple Street and attacked a 15-year-old girl about 6 a.m. after her single father went to work.

The girl's two younger siblings were the only other people home at the time of the intrusion. Griner said the girl was not sexually assaulted, but he refused to say if she was touched or fondled.

He said the intruder used the same method of operation when breaking into the girl’s home, but police have not yet determined whether the case is linked to the Chandler Rapist.

Police said they have been interviewing construction workers at nearby Andersen Junior High School because three out of the five confirmed Chandler Rapist sexual assaults have occurred in the school’s attendance area.

Construction worker Juan Mendez said he was questioned for two hours Thursday starting at about 6:15 a.m., shortly after the attack. Mendez said in Spanish that he’s not angry police interrogated him, although he said police treated him with suspicion.

“I feel bad because they treated me like a delinquent,” he said.

Andersen Junior High Principal Jim Anderson said the latest victim does not attend his school because she’s of high school age, but he said the incident happened “very close to our school, within about a half to three-quarters of a mile.”

He said that’s why he continues to send safety tips home with students.

“When you walk to school or a bus stop, walk in groups,” Anderson said. “Don’t go by yourself.”

Griner said this predator does surveillance on his victims, so it’s likely he targets girls at places such as bus stops, schools and after-school activities.

Police describe the Chandler Rapist as Hispanic, 28 to 40 years old, short with a muscular build, dark hair and hazel or brown eyes. In Thursday morning’s home intrusion, the victim told police he was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.
    Not sure where you are going with this?

I am no more miffed about the police referring to someone as Hispanic, than if they say they are white, black, olive, yellow, or red. If that's the description they have, that's what they have to work with.

I wonder if they catch this criminal, and he turns out to be Hispanic, will the radio station clam-up or what? My guess would be, you won't hear word one. All I care about is that they get the right guy, and let the kids in that area feel safe.
    A.M.Bush... the best kind!

Quote Originally Posted by LAcardJoe67 View Post
    Not sure where you are going
    with this?
    The victim described the rapist as hispanic. The police repeated what the victim said, the rapist is hispanic. Now if they changed the description to something that does not allow potential witnesses to identify the rapist ("dark-skinned", etc.), and this rapist attacks more people, will the radio station take any blame for demanding the description change? Of course not, but all this political correctness can get someone hurt or killed if this keeps up.
    Not supposed to fit in...

Quote Originally Posted by kjbad View Post
    The victim described the rapist as hispanic. The police repeated what the victim said, the rapist is hispanic. Now if they changed the description to something that does not allow potential witnesses to identify the rapist ("dark-skinned", etc.), and this rapist attacks more people, will the radio station take any blame for demanding the description change? Of course not, but all this political correctness can get someone hurt or killed if this keeps up.
    Gotcha! I agree with the police on this one. There is a point of PC and I think the Radio station just crossed it. I am Hispanic and...whats right is right. Unless of course she got the wrong description and gets someone innocent arrested.

Generally, when one hears Hispanic the image that comes to mind is someone with dark olive skin and black hair. Sure not all Hispanics fit this image but they are generalizing. I've known some Latino's to be blond haired and blue eyed. Same goes with African-American. Not all are dark skinned. To catch a rapist like this, they have to give some kind of description. Funy how no one complains when a description is a white male.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 11-15-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    I root for 2 teams; The Cardinals and whoever is playing Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Funy how no one complains when a description is a white male.
    I believe that is the only one that nobody complains about.

They're just trying to "keep the white man down".
    A.M.Bush... the best kind!

Quote Originally Posted by ambushk View Post
    They're just trying to "keep the white man down".
    ....or this Hispanic phrase...."What can BROWN to do for you"?

On a serious note, you guys just proved what the radio station was trying to convey. Maybe Brown male should have been the correct way of describing the attacker. Hispanic is ethnic rather than descriptive like white. If they had used Brown it would generalize the description and easier to identify. Just Like NJ pointed out the Hispanic population is rather complex but all you seem to see in the news are "south American" Hispanics that have a darker complexion and have more Indian blood or features than your more standard Hispanics.
    I am an Mexican American with a fairer complexion that have been often confused as "white", "Greek", or "Italian" but never a "Hispanic".
    If I was the rapist, they would have a hard time trying to find me based on the description that was given.
    I have a feeling that the victims might have heard him speak thus giving authorization to use Hispanic. maybe he has broken English that made them come to that conclusion. I have no problem with that. If they are certain on his ethnicity then by all means to what it takes to get him. I think RAPISTS are one of the worst forms of criminals and should be castrated.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Generally, when one hears Hispanic the image that comes to mind is someone with dark olive skin and black hair. Sure not all Hispanics fit this image but they are generalizing. I've known some Latino's to be blond haired and blue eyed. Same goes with African-American. Not all are dark skinned. To catch a rapist like this, they have to give some kind of description. Funy how no one complains when a description is a white male.

I agree with your conclusion, I disagree with the last statement. No one cmoplains when the description is listed as a black male either...well not on the description. You might hear a few of us say "aw **** not anotha brotha" but the description in a case like this doesn't trigger my racism alarm because it's a definitive statement. If it's described as a white or black male there's no real room for variables.

With that said I'm very self conscious so whenever i hear about a black male wanted i pay special attention to the physical description and area as well. Just gotta make sure i'm not near there and become the "description fitter"...
    Baltimore wins with offense