View Poll Results: Are NFL players too greedy?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they want too much $$$

19 67.86%
  • No, they're doing what they should to get a piece of the pie

9 32.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are NFL players too greedy?

Default Are NFL players too greedy?

Darnell Dockett.
    Devin Hester.
    Brian Westbrook.
    Other veterans demanding raises or trades.
    Numerous rookies holding out as long as they can.

Are they too greedy?
    Not supposed to fit in...

Default Exhibit A...

In case you haven't seen the Devin Hester scenario...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,2803042.story

Bears' Hester on camp: 'I'm not coming'

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter
    12:15 AM CDT, July 24, 2008

The most electrifying return man in the league has found a different way to display his elusiveness.

Devin Hester told the Tribune on Wednesday he intends to hold out of training camp until the Bears grant him a new deal.

"I'm not coming," he said by phone. "I have to make a statement. I showed by going to [organized team activities] that I was a team player. But then, I just felt they weren't taking it seriously that I wanted to get a new deal.

"I can't go out and play this year making $445,000. Come on, man."

Hester is entering the third year of the four-year deal he signed as a rookie second-round draft choice.

The Bears have discussed the possibility of a raise with his agent, Eugene Parker, and each side has exchanged proposals. Complicating matters is the Bears' inability to measure Hester's worth against any other player's contract.

He wants to be paid as a receiver, but the Bears are willing to pay him only as the league's highest-paid special teams player—a deal that no doubt would fall short of Hester's mark.

Efforts to reach Parker were unsuccessful. Bears general manager Jerry Angelo expressed disappointment but left the window to negotiations open. The Bears placed Hester on the reserve/did not report list after he was a no-show Wednesday.

"You should pay me like I'm one of a kind," Hester said. "It's like dating a girl. When you find somebody who is real special, you're going to do whatever it takes to keep her. You might cut back on what you're giving your mom to give to her. And that's how I feel they should treat me."

Hester wouldn't estimate how much money he's seeking or how long a term the deal should be. The Bears awarded contract extensions to Tommie Harris, Brian Urlacher, Alex Brown, Robbie Gould, Desmond Clark and Kyle Orton this off-season. Lance Briggs, Rex Grossman and Rashied Davis signed new deals.

Hester will be fined approximately $15,000 per day if he continues to hold out.

"I'm like this—it's not worth it to show up," he said.

Hester received calls from several of his teammates over the last two days.

"I told him to just handle his business and not let this affect his season," Harris said. "There's a point that you have to know, 'Hey, OK, this is not going to get done.' So he has to get here to benefit him and his family. You don't want to miss out the money that they do owe you, that you've already earned."

Hester said coach Lovie Smith called Wednesday and said the team didn't feel the same without him. Smith verified his comment.

"I am saying that—it's not the same," he said. "Every team is better with Hester out there. But these things happen. … I don't think I've ever been to a training camp where you don't have a couple of surprises."

Harris agreed with Smith's comments on the team missing Hester.

"You know there are going to be two critical plays in a game, and he's going to make one of them," Harris said. "That dude is special, man. We need him here."

Hester has 11 kick returns for touchdowns in two seasons, a total that ranks fourth in NFL history. Last season, he made the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive year as a return man after setting the single-season NFL record with six kick returns for touchdowns (four punts, two kickoffs).

"Everybody in their right mind understands why I'm doing this," Hester said. "For me to have a season like I did last year and getting paid like this, it's not fair. … I deserve more, and that's just the way I feel."

I voted yes ill try to elaborate when i get home from work.
    I wouldn't need to manage my anger If you would just manage your stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by kjbad View Post
    Are they too greedy?

It is interesting that, by it's very nature, this question suggests that there are appropriate levels of greed.

In fact "too greedy" suggests that there must be a corollary level of 'not greedy enough'.
    Your tears...they are delicious!

There are almost 2,000 players in the NFL so I have a tough time lumping them all as anything whether it be dumb or criminal or greedy. There are some who are, others who aren't. Pretty much the same in any walk of life - for instance:

Jerry Jones
    Daniel Snyder
    Al Davis
    Other owners demanding new stadiums

Are they too greedy? or

George Clooney
    Julia Roberts
    Jay Leno
    Other celebreties entertaining the masses

Are they too greedy?

If I had to answer for the entire group, I'd say no. No one is forcing them to play and no one is forcing someone to pay them what they ask. By and large they operate within the rules of the system that has been set up and prospered for decades.

nope.

Some are too greedy, some aren't. I couldn't vote. One thing's for sure though, Hester averaging 5.5 return TD's per season over the last two years definitely deserves more than he is making. Still, holding out when he will be a free agent soon is probably not the best answer.

Yes, absolutely! Before Q decided he was being lied to and underpaid (2.5-3 MILLION DOLLARS a year for the next 3 years!) I might have said "no" or probably just kept my mouth shut. But this is absolutely ridiculous. For Q to say that Fitz "earned" his contract is total **. $10 million a year for four years is overpaid. The ONLY reason the FO gave him this deal is because they totally *** up his rookie contract with all those escalators. Fitz DID NOT earn $10 million a year. He's a great receiver, one of the top in the league. Average people will do crazy stuff on national TV for the chance to get ONE million dollars, and these guys are making 2-3 or 10 TIMES that every year? And complaining? This is **.

It's a Catch 22 really. It's the old cliche on how we fans get caught in the middle of crap between millionaire players and billionaire owners. The days of service contracts are over so if a player is unhappy, the door is open to leave. Now Hester has a beef. This guy has been a beast for Chicago so $400K is a bit thin. Sure we can all sit back in our living rooms and talk about how Hester is being rediculous about complaining about $400K but think of what this guy has dome for the Bears. To not give him a contract worthy is stupid. Should he get $10million? No, he's just a kick retuner but he should get something.

But to be fair, the owners got themselves into this so they get no sympathy from me since because of their actions I've been pretty much priced out the door.
    I root for 2 teams; The Cardinals and whoever is playing Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDave View Post
    It is interesting that, by it's very nature, this question suggests that there are appropriate levels of greed.

In fact "too greedy" suggests that there must be a corollary level of 'not greedy enough'.
    There must be an appropriate level of greed, or else owners would not come close to reaching the salary cap (meaning they pocket the rest). At the same time, there are people who command an unreasonable portion of the available cap figure and should be brought back to earth.

The NFL can never leave well enough alone - in an economically challenged time for fans, the owners walk out of the CBA and the players tell us how they can't survive on 6- or 7-figure annual salaries. It's hard to support this kind of lunacy, but there are thousands of vendors and small businesses tied to this monster. It's pretty sad all around.