Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 reasons the Cardinals could shock the NFL world

Default 5 reasons the Cardinals could shock the NFL world

Last edited by yukmouth2005; 01-06-2009 at 05:01 AM.
    since 2005

For the next five days everyone will be telling you why the Arizona Cardinals don’t have a chance to win against the Carolina Panthers. What about the reasons why they could pull the upset? Here are five reasons why you may be able to celebrate a Cardinals’ victory on Saturday night.

5) The Role of Underdog

With the exception of diehard Cardinals’ fans, no one expects the Redbirds to pull off the upset in Carolina Saturday night. That role suited the Cardinals just fine on this past weekend as the national media and odds makers picked Atlanta to win. Although the Cardinals shouldn’t need motivation, being overlooked can help this young team gain that little extra focus needed to win on the road. Not to mention that with Carolina being a 9.5 point favorite, the largest spread of the weekend, the Panthers may be looking forward to the NFC Championship Game rather than taking care of business at home.

4) Every streak has to come to an end

The Cardinals are 0-5 in games east of the Mississippi this year and 2-19 over the last 6 seasons, while the Panthers are 8-0 at home this year. Not encouraging stats when you think about it, but every streak has to come to an end right?

One factor that may benefit the Cardinals is that in the last 6 years only one of those east coast games was the late game, a start time the Cardinals are accustomed to. Athletes are creatures of habit, so instead of waking up much earlier than they normally would and starting a game when they usually would be arriving at the stadium, Saturday’s 6:15pm local start time affords them the chance to stay in their normal rhythm even though they are playing in the Eastern Time Zone.

3) Edgerrin James

Whether he is playing to help the Cardinals win a championship, or to audition for a new team for the 2009 season, Edgerrin James has come up big in the last two games. In those two contests against Seattle and Atlanta, James has combined for 179 yards on 30 carries. In the four weeks prior to James’ return to the starting lineup, the Cardinals entire team combined for 175 rushing yards on 54 carries.

Edge has been the Britney Spears of the NFL in the last few weeks. Like Britney, he teetered on the edge of irrelevance, only to reinvent himself and thrust himself back into the spotlight. If he continues to be effective when called upon, the Cardinals offense is next to unstoppable. That balanced attack could propel the Cards to victory.

2) Week 8 of the NFL season: Panthers 27, Cardinals 23

How can a 27-23 loss be reason for optimism?

The Cardinals cost themselves the game, hands down. They had a 14-point lead on the road. The Panthers had no answer for the Cardinals passing attack, giving up 375 yards and 2 touchdowns to Kurt Warner. If it weren’t for two turnovers that killed scoring drives, the Cardinals would have maintained that lead. How about when the Cardinals took a 23-17 lead and Neil Rackers missed the extra point? Or a controversial ruling that Steve Smith didn’t step out of bounds on a long touchdown at the end of the third quarter to give Carolina a 24-23 lead?

The Cardinals know that they can hang with the Panthers in Carolina because of this game. If they can minimize mistakes and follow a similar game plan to that of Week 8, they should be in strong position to win.

1) Kurt Warner

Plain and simple, Kurt Warner knows how to win in big situations. As the starting quarterback in 1994 at Northern Iowa he won the Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship. In the Arena Football League, Warner was 5-3 as a starter in the playoffs with two arena bowl appearances in his 3 seasons. As a starting quarterback in the NFL, he is 7-2 in the playoffs with two trips to the Super Bowl.

Every time Kurt Warner seems to be counted out, he finds a way to win. His experience and leadership are enough to give the Cardinals a good chance. Plus, he was a starter for the Amsterdam Admirals, while Panthers’ quarterback Jake Delhome was his backup, so that has to be worth something, right?.
    since 2005

That's encouraging to read. I really hope we show up... how amazing would it be to win?

Great stuff. I agree with this guy almost down to the word. Almost makes me wish I wrote it, actually.

I was hoping for some love for the defense as I was running out of reasons.

Now, Carolina is a very good football team at home. They are better than what we saw in October. But this is the playoffs. This is all about who's fire is hottest.

KWHOF is offline Superbowl XXXVII Champion

Quote Originally Posted by yukmouth2005 View Post
    1) Kurt Warner

Plain and simple, Kurt Warner knows how to win in big situations. As the starting quarterback in 1994 at Northern Iowa he won the Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship. In the Arena Football League, Warner was 5-3 as a starter in the playoffs with two arena bowl appearances in his 3 seasons. As a starting quarterback in the NFL, he is 7-2 in the playoffs with two trips to the Super Bowl.

Every time Kurt Warner seems to be counted out, he finds a way to win. His experience and leadership are enough to give the Cardinals a good chance. Plus, he was a starter for the Amsterdam Admirals, while Panthers’ quarterback Jake Delhome was his backup, so that has to be worth something, right?.
    Couldn't agree more, show 'em what you got Kurt...

and they didn't even mention the primary reason the Cards can win: the Panthers defense is trash...they especially were in the latter part of the season...this will allow any team to stay in a playoff game with them...this will likely be a last possession type of game, whoever makes the big drive in the last 3 minutes will win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
    and they didn't even mention the primary reason the Cards can win: the Panthers defense is trash...they especially were in the latter part of the season...this will allow any team to stay in a playoff game with them...this will likely be a last possession type of game, whoever makes the big drive in the last 3 minutes will win it.
    No offense, but so was the Cards D, they decided to show up last week, and hopefully will this week too. I'm not trying to sound like the mean guy, but just keeping them honest. I think the Broncos and Cards played a lot alike this year, hot and cold, and they had a "cold" showing against the Panthers there in NC.

As long as the Cards come out playing like they did last week, I have no doubt in the world they'll win, in fact, I think they make it the Superbowl playing like they did last week.

Lets Go Kurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just read this again, and got chills.
    In draft mode. Hoping for Trubisky, happy with Watson or Rudolph.

Default Don't forget DRC

DRC was not starting & hardly played in the 1st Panther game. This has been under-reported & I think it will have a huge impact. I believe he can cover Smith in Man & allow us to toughen up & 2-time Muhammed often. We can also bring the extra man into the box. Let our linebackers loose to fill the gaps. If DRC can indeed cover SS, then we can do some great things on 'D' if Clancy has the nerve. DRC also makes another big play (maybe 2). We can do this!!! We can!!!