Thread: Highlight of First 5 Games of 1974

Default Highlight of First 5 Games of 1974

Brought back a lot of memories seeing the Hart-Gray TD pass combo. Jackie Smith breaking tackles and of course Terry Metcalf running back KO and punts.

I was at the Browns - Cards game that year and watched the Cards on TV beat Dallas to go 5-0. Was 9years old so I was running around saying we are 5-0.

Thanks for sharing.

Jump'n into the 'wayback' machine would certainly bring back exciting memories of that fateful season. Second-year head coach Don Coryell being able to fine-tune his San Diego State offense and hit the NFL square in the mouth with it! He should finally get his due this coming week when the veterans' committie rightfully votes him in to Canton,joining three of his players. His O-line coach,Jim Hanifan, assembling what is arguably the finest line in Cardinals history. Their was Dierdorf,Dobler,Brahaney,Young and McMillan ably backed-up by Finnie,Banks,Reynolds and Jackie Smith to set a team record for fewest sacks given up. The following season they did that one-better by setting an NFL record only giving up eight QB sacks!
    That line road-graded the pounding of Jim Otis,one of Woody Hays boys,and sparked the emergence of Terry Metcalf,who in the next season set an NFL record for combined yards! By protectin Jim Hart the team became a feared offensive unit and was the main reason we won consecutive division titles. Yes, we fans had visions of Super Bowl dancing in our heads when we started that season winning our first seven games!
    And that is what we need now...a powerful,well-oiled offensive line that dominates the line of scrimmage allowing Coach Arians to work his magic with play-calling. I sense management 'gets it' and will focus on just that need this offseason. With Jonathan Cooper busting on the scene,too,and us having now developed some quality backups we should be much improved in offensive play.
    But, the biggest thing I remember from those 'Cardiac Cards' days is that we lacked a defense. Coaches Jim Hanifan and Joe Gibbs could only improve half a team. We lacked a defense to complement our offense and protect their scoring and the leads it gave us. We have that defense now. I am excited once again for next season's prospects. Only now I can start enjoying my daydreaming this offseason and needn't wait for the surprise of a season starting seven game winning streak!

That was greased lightning baby! Everything but the defense gelled! TM on special teams and at RB provided that explosive pop which was always missing. The OL was amazing which definitely made Hart to Gray. I can still hear Bob Starr now. 7-0-0 was like a dream!

Great time for the Big Red. St Louis fans were on fire. Loved Metcalf. All we had were newspapers to read about the team. Imagine that... real paper. lol

Thank you for your compassionate service, USAFMedic. Those in uniform, and us 'ustas,' have nothing but the highest regard for the men and women who treat our brokenness, me included, USMC RVN. It is only fitting that your spirit became enshrined on Mt.Suribachi, James Bradley, Corpsman, USN.

Those Cardiac Cards, what a thrill ride they gave us fans, and then a mini-repeat with Jim Hanifan. It was great while it lasted but now we have a more complete team with top-drawer support. Imagine that...