Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Ryan

Default Buddy Ryan

Hey guys, I was reading a little bit about Buddy Ryan and the character he was. When Buddy came to coach the Azcards I was about 7 years old or so. I was wondering if anyone could share some stories, opinions, city recognition, etc etc. I just want to know more about this era thats all. I know most facts IE winning percentage, and hard numbers but some times theres more to a coach/gm being fired than just a lousy record. Especially since he went 8-8 his first year.

"You've got a Winner in Town."

That's all I'm gonna say about that. - Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by TnTCardFans View Post
    "You've got a Winner in Town."

That's all I'm gonna say about that. - Forrest Gump
    more like a weiner lol!!!! I guess since the boards added this section I figured it would be proper to ask here.

Buddy Ryan's tenure was absolute circus. A cluster **** of catastrophic proportions which set the team back at least five year, possibly as much as a decade. Bad contract signings, paternalistic hiring and contract decisions, and horribly faulted "leader" who's arrogance would have prevented him from acknowledging, and owning, his own faults and mistakes - if his hubris would have allowed him to admit having them.

The worst part about the whole thing, was the damage done to the...what's the right word...?

Mindset of ownership.

See, the thing is, the Bidwill family *did* their due diligence before the hiring of Ryan. And every knowledgeable football person they spoke all agreed that giving Ryan free rein - by making him HC and GM - was a smart move for a franchise that needed to be rebuilt and have a fire built under it.

When that hiring backfired so cataclysmically, owner turtled up into a 'once bitten twice shy' shell and became, IMO, overly sensitized to hiring "great coaches". Focusing instead on guy like Vince "Mr. Beige" Tobin.

And, don't get me wrong here; Tobin was the exact right guy to bring in after Ryan. The team needed someone rigid, subdued, and process driven. Someone to get some actual controls back in place and settle things down. His tenure should have ended a year earlier than it did and, when it did end, the organization 'should' have looked outside for a more...charismatic..head coach but, ownership was still smarting from the embarrassment of the Buddy Ryan debacle, and brought McGinnis up from inside.

It would be 2004 before the team would once again look outside the franchise for a highly recommended, talented, knowledgeable, rock solid, lead pipe cinch of a lock for a coaching choice, and would hire the universally recommended - Denny Green.

We all know how that turned out.

While Green's tenure was by no means the train wreck that Ryan's was; It was ultimately another failed 'marquee' coach signing, that was roundly endorsed by virtually every knowledgable GM and NFL 'person'.

But now I'm rambling...

The main thing with Buddy Ryan and his tenure, was the absolute chaos the team was in internally.

Fights - and I mean down and dirty flipping barroom brawls - were standard business during *team practices*. Ryan would go out of his way to assign players who were injured, or players he just didn't like, simply humiliating tasks during practices. Not to mention the things he would say during his own talk show, which were flat out embarrassing to the organization.

On camera, on air, calling fans who asked why something did or did not happen in a game "stupid" "moronic" or conversely just ignoring the question altogether.

I remember one in particular where the Cardinals had a rare lead late in the game and, in trying to run out the clock, Ryan called nothing but inside running plays on...I think it was 3 consecutive *SERIES*. Not a single pass. Just runs. Inside left, inside right, center.

When asked why he never called a pass, he answered something like:

"You must not know anything about football. That's what you do in that situation, run it three times and you punt. Anyone who knows football knows that."

"So, even though it wasn't working that's what you do?"

"You're an idiot, I already answered your question. Next."

One of the other nails in his coffin - and I apologize for re-opening this wound for every one who, like me, saw this actually happen and still have bad dream about it....

Steve Bono 76 yard touchdown run on a naked bootleg.

Basically, Ryan stacked the line against a run and, on the snap the entire cardinals D - line, linebackers, dbs, everyone - dogpiled on the line of scrimmage. Bono swung to his right and started doing what passes for running for him - I think it took him something like 28 seconds to run that distance but, watching it, seemed like an hour...hell..there was an O-Lineman out in front of him the whole way waving him on! "Come on! Come on MAN! Run!" No Card defender was able to dig out of the pile til Bono was well past the 50. by the time anyone did get out of it and figure out what the hell happened, it was too late.

ANd deeper apologies guys...I found a video of it....

Games ended with team mates fighting on the sidelines and in the locker room and Ryan did nothing to stop it. And his final straw was trotting off the field before a game was over.
    I see the sky is still firmly in place above us.

Yeah I was at that game, sitting in the north end zone upper, had a front row seat watching that mess. Buddy Ryan by the time he got here, was nothing but a messed up joke. he went 8-8 his first year with mostly guys Joe Bugel & Company had coached; then blew those guys out and brought in his own hand-picked *cough* talent - and proceded to go 4-12. Good riddance.

The only thing worthwhile he brought to Phoenix was this:

You've Got A... Winner In Town

That there is some funny stuff, now I don't care who you are...
    Last edited by cardsreign; 08-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Oh dear Lord...Buddy...I`m sad to say i fell for him hook, line and sinker,did`nt take him long to sour my koolaide though...but Denny got me to..so now people wonder why i am reluctant to shower new coaches in flowers before they prove their self
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

thanks guys!! Stuff like that was exactly what I wanted to read/hear. I know the tenure wasn't good, but its still a part of our history and I like to know it. My first taste of knowing a head coach was Mcginnis. It seems Buddy Ryan just lost complete respect of the whole squad almost like he didnt care any more.

The worst part was, Buddy encouraged the fighting. He thought it was good thing. It was the guys "being competitive" and the 'leaders asserting themselves and leading".

The sheer degree of just not getting he had was legitimately shocking.
    I see the sky is still firmly in place above us.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDave View Post

One of the other nails in his coffin - and I apologize for re-opening this wound for every one who, like me, saw this actually happen and still have bad dream about it....

Steve Bono 76 yard touchdown run on a naked bootleg.

Basically, Ryan stacked the line against a run and, on the snap the entire cardinals D - line, linebackers, dbs, everyone - dogpiled on the line of scrimmage. Bono swung to his right and started doing what passes for running for him - I think it took him something like 28 seconds to run that distance but, watching it, seemed like an hour...hell..there was an O-Lineman out in front of him the whole way waving him on! "Come on! Come on MAN! Run!" No Card defender was able to dig out of the pile til Bono was well past the 50. by the time anyone did get out of it and figure out what the hell happened, it was too late.

ANd deeper apologies guys...I found a video of it....

Games ended with team mates fighting on the sidelines and in the locker room and Ryan did nothing to stop it. And his final straw was trotting off the field before a game was over.
    I was living in Kansas City during this time. It was embarrassing to see this play. I caught so much grief from the Chiefs fans and my coworkers the next day for this play. What I remember most is the O-lineman running with Bono down the field and waving him on the entire way. How come our defense did not run them down I do not know.
    Last edited by BigRedFanSTL; 08-19-2013 at 09:54 AM.

I had never seen that play before. It's pretty hilarious and pathetic at the same time. Ohhh Buddy Ryan i'm sure he gave some laughs though.