Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by azbmxican View Post
    I had never seen that play before. It's pretty hilarious and pathetic at the same time. Ohhh Buddy Ryan i'm sure he gave some laughs though.
    HA!! This is all good read.. I'm 31 so I was just a teenager when Buddy Ryan was coaching here and never paid much attention to his shenanigans.

exactly my point Phil! Its cool to read about others that remembered some of the old days.

Those were two seasons are two I would rather forget.... though we had an awesome defense his first year.

He brought Clyde Simmons and Seth Joyner with him from the Eagles, and they had a nice effect as LBs the first year. Not gonna go far though, when your revolving fearless field generals are Beurelein, Schroeder, and McMahon.
    Once my pants are on, I make the playoffs- Ayy Zee Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by AZCrazy View Post
    He brought Clyde Simmons and Seth Joyner with him from the Eagles, and they had a nice effect as LBs the first year. Not gonna go far though, when your revolving fearless field generals are Beurelein, Schroeder, and McMahon.
    I totally forgot Seth Joyner was a Card at one point.

Not to mention teenaged Rob Ryan and Rex Ryan running around as coordinators and coaches because they
    "were the best men for the job."
    Once my pants are on, I make the playoffs- Ayy Zee Crazy

This video is why I never liked Buddy Ryan coming to the Cardinals

I didn't like that Joe Bugel was let go the year before.

Buddy was a fresh breathe of air at first. I will always love Buddy Ryan but he simply couldn't produce a winner. buddy never could come up with the right offensive formula of players and system to be a good offense. His 1st year his defense was solid. Wilber Marshalls hit on Troy Aikman was classic. By the second year the defense really stunk. Players gave up. Teams easily figured out the 46.. Idk. Dave Krieg was our Qb for christs sake. The energy and nastiness Buddy brought was unquestionable. His lack of care on offense was troubling. I also feel the cardinals would have been served better with a GM that would work well with Buddy. Buddy did bring in some good players. Let's not forget Rob Moore. I also feel he brought A. Williams from good to great. So while there's a lot that went wrong there was some good. Imo the cardinals were the weakling that good beat up and never fought back. With Buddy they fought back but still got a beaten because they just weren't strong enough. Knowing this I will always respect Buddy.

Default Buddy

There's two things I can bring to this from before his head coaching days. When George Halas decided to hire a new head coach of the Chicago Bears around 1982-83 Buddy was the entrenched "head coach' of the defense and Halas intended to keep him there for whoever he would hire as the new HC. Halas wanted to bring in Mike Ditka who had been in Dallas as a player and a special teams and TE coach for about nine years. Halas talked to Landry and was assured that Ditka could handle it, so Halas did. Hiring Ditka, a Chicago Bear legend, i.e. Ditka is reputed to have said that George Halas was so tight with money that. "he threw them around like they were manhole covers," over the expecting Buddy created a tense coaching staff situation that was always simmering just below boiling point.

Anyway, when the Bears went to Dallas sometime a year or two later to play the Cowboys, Buddy's defense not only stomped Landry's offense they were scoring and shutting them out on their own field. Ditka was very uncomfortable about this and before the final score would become too embarrassing for Ditka he approached Buddy and told him to, "call off the dogs." And, Buddy told his head coach, his boss, "I run this defense, get lost!" The Bears stomed over the Cowboys something like 30-0.

The other thing I know about Buddy is that he is a doggie Korean War combat veteran. He supposedly as a young noncom taken over his squad in very dire straits and not saved his troopers from disaster but accomplished the assigned mission. He was decorated several times, too. He eventually was promoted several times and reached a very high rank, something like 'top kick.'

Yeah, if there is anything you need to know about Buddy is that he is one tough hombre.

Actually, the Bears beat Dallas 44-0 in that game. I only remember that because it was the cover of Sports illustrated.

$T2eC16V,!)cFIdkYvYn7BSbrDwjFK!~~60_35.JPG

Here's the thing with Buddy. He always coached with the "us vs them" mentality when it came to the offense. Had he paid any mind to the offense when he was in Philly, the Eagles would have easily won at least 1 Super Bowl. His defenses there were down right scary. He never gave Cunningham and weapons to work with. No running game, mediocre to above average wide receivers. The only real weapon he had was TE Keith Jackson. When he came to the Cards, he had some offensive weapons but had no QB to work with and what he brought in wasn't anything to write home about(Jim McMahon/Jay Shroeder/Dave Kreig). And, yeah, he set this team back a bit but we did go to the playoffs in 1998. It was the ownership who chose to break that team up.
    I root for 2 teams; The Cardinals and whoever is playing Dallas.