Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The difference over the years

Let see this in perspective, How many guys Whiz brought in via Draft are still on the team?
    Under Whiz

Calais Campbell, Daryl Washington, Dan Williams, Patrick Peterson, Michael Floyd

Clearly no difference makers drafted my Whiz and Co...Clearly

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Agreed that we finally have "A" talent as a GM and coaching staff. The think I like about BA and despised about Whiz was the use of rookies -- if you can play, then don't look at the birth certificate. Darren Urban has an article about how little Whiz played rookies and wasn't even going to start PP21 at CB opening game but Toler had a slight hamstring injury whereas BA played TM - Ellington - Taylor - Tony Jefferson - even Jaron Brown and of course announced Cooper was going to start at LG before injury.

Cards did very well in Free Agency and if the draft falls right for Keim & Co ... BA will get the BEST players on the field regardless of age - experience however he will also demand the players know their assignments before hitting the field too -- (are you listening Bobbie Massie ??)
    This. Also, B.A. talked about how some coaches on his staff wanted to pick up players in the 1st and 2nd round that "could" or have "potential" but needed to develop. He rejected the idea and reminded the coaches that they needed players in the 1st and 2nd round that could play and win NOW. So that mind set for the first two rounds are to pick up players that can play from day 1, which is a mindset I love.

The real turn around happened when Jr took over the team. I don't care how good guys were before when the contract ended they were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    I like the new coach but credit for the turn around is due to Whiz and Co. He took this team to the Superbowl and in the process created a hardcore fan base. Under Whiz is when the young people of Phoenix proudly claimed the Cardinals. Before Whiz it was pretty shameful (think Jacksonville) to be a Cardinal fan. Cowboys, 49ers, Bear, Packers, and Steelers fans that populate the valley would laugh at you because this was not Cardinals country. Under Whiz it became Cardinals Country. Give credit where credit is due
    I agree with the spirit of this statement, but not the content. I think the turn around starting happening more when Michael Bidwill took over the team and orchestrated the UoP stadium being built. That more so than anything else helped create a local identity for the team and started the creation of our local fan base. Also, moving from the NFC East to the NFC West made a difference as well. Way to many rabid Cowboy fans out there and I hated going to games in Tempe where they outnumbered us 4 to 1.

Whiz was the Bob Brenley of the Cardinals. Brenley took over the Diamondbacks from Showalter and won the World Series the next year and afterwards could never reproduce the magic. Whiz took a team that was ready to make that run and was at least smart enough to not get in their way. It's afterwards his shortcomings as a head coach appeared. Stubborness regarding his "system", inability to put players in successful situations and poor judgement of QB talent.

Michael Bidwill was part of the team that hired and eventually fired Whiz and company.

So I say under Michael Bidwill "Cardinals Country" was born.
    Last edited by boomer719; 05-01-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Under Whiz

Calais Campbell, Daryl Washington, Dan Williams, Patrick Peterson, Michael Floyd

Clearly no difference makers drafted my Whiz and Co...Clearly

5 in 6 years ...

5 out of 42 chances...

The last draft gave us probably the same amount of starters...

Guys that will start this season:

Jefferson, Ellington, Mathieu, Cooper, Watford, Minter, Okafor ...

And probably 3 of them are game changers ...

So Whiz/Graves did a poor job (and if the storys behind the washington move is right than probably they did a real poor job and Keim saved there ***...)

Quote Originally Posted by NJGalczynski View Post
    First off, I am not a long time fan. I'm from Pittsburgh so I grew up around Steeler fans (the worst) but I was never really into football until 07. I was 15 when the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl in 08. I hopped on the bandwagon I'll be the first to admit it. I have since stuck with the team and I have a **** passion for it now. I LOVE the cardinals and I'll stick with them for the rest of my life. Even got to come out to Arizona for my first game against the colts (perfect game to go to) and I'm coming back out there for the Detroit game.

Anyway, from 08 til now I have noticed so much change. In 08 we were an offensive team rallying behind Warner, not Whisenhunt. If we had the defense we of now in that Super Bowl we would have blown the steelers out EASY. That's the first differance. It is so refreshing to see a team play for a coach. Remember the last year Whisenhunt was here at that Seattle game? The team gave up on Whiz. I feel like we are headed in a direction that could keep us competitive constantly. Kind of like Pitt. You notice that no matter what they are always competitive in the division? Not a fan of them at all but it is true. I feel like that is the direction we are headed in. Which brings me to the second differance. Whisenhunt had us competitive for 2-3 years. I think Arians can keep us there. This would be so refreshing.. I know I haven't been a fan for long so I don't understand what you guys have been through, but just seeing the Derek Anderson! Max Hall, kevin Kolb thing for a few years was enough for me..

Another thing I like is how we are finding quality players in later rounds. Andre ellington , tony jefferson (he will be very quality depth at the very least) tyrann mathieu, Alex okafor (arguably the best pass rusher in that draft) and I'm excited about this years draft as well.

Things are looking real bright and just thought I'd share some things from the perspective of a dedicated short time fan.
    Wow, you sound exactly like me. Grew up in a place surrounded by fans of a team you don't like (lions for me) found football in 2007 (the year I started playing football and fell in love with it) jumped on the cards bandwagon at 15 in 2008 when they went to the super bowl (I was born in 93 and jumped ship from the patriots that year) never looked back (I'm a die hard cards fan and have been since) been to arizona a couple times and loved it (me too, it's the place I want to end up after college) you sound exactly like me so welcome I'm glad you're here

I like the new coach but credit for the turn around is due to Whiz and Co. He took this team to the Superbowl and in the process created a hardcore fan base.
    Lol. Whisenhunt is garbage. I can't wait to watch the Titans suck it up. I know such a hater thing to say, but it will probably take that for the Whis supporters to realize how bad he actually was. He had nothing without Warner.

It's kinda like all those people who had to watch Leinart suck it up in HOU before fully understanding he was garbage too.
    No more Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    LOL your bragging about that? That would be at best less than one good player per draft. Williams is still a maybe for me as to a just a player or not. One could say 4 players in 6 drafts. I will give you five that is still a joke.

Just the hole he put us in with one joke QB after the other post Kurt is to much to over look. He set us back so far with that fiasco no more needs to be said. DRC a 2nd for who again? Now add the fact he thought Grimm was a good coach and stuck with him to fix our O line and you have a serious problem at head coach. He built nothing and did nothing but let Kurt start the 2008 season do to his words we were on the road and would look at it as the season went on. Kurt took off Whiz road the wave and then got exposed and thrown out of town as he should have.

Your name fits "junior". Zero respect. And I mean ZERO. Which makes you clueless.

How about this for a HUGE difference

This will be the start of the second season in a row without a confounded QB competition!!! What a mind numbing, spirit killing, team chemistry wrecking those whiz days used to be.

How sweet is that??
    Last edited by boomer719; 05-02-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    What? Nice reply now I know how to talk to people like I should thank you for your example. As to Whiz and his turning the Cardinals around proof is right there. You can't dispute what I said so you go after how I said it? This is a football site right? You don't brag about 4 or 5 good picks in 6 seasons as proof he did his job. That is funny it proves he didn't. He took over a loser he left us with a loser. Not only that he taught us about moxie and swagger. Just think if Kurt did not go best of all time for 3 years. I don't feel sorry for Whiz I feel sorry for us. He got millions I owe him nothing including my respect. As to the poster that builds him up for the 5 good players in 6 seasons well it's an opinion of Whiz I went after Whiz not him clam down I was not the only one that thought that was off.

Mod did the same thing to the same post about Whiz? It's all about Whiz do you think he did a good job and have nothing to say but get mad?

It's all good try telling us what he did that was so great? That is but "help" pick 5 out of close to 45 players and road the back of Kurt Warner. He picked DA all on his own what was that?
    Dude, your grammar, spelling and puncuation are so bad that it's an effort to read through and try and understand what you are actually saying. I usually just ignore posts like yours for that reason.

It's hard to tell if you have anything significant or relevant to add to the conversation.
    Last edited by boomer719; 05-02-2014 at 11:54 AM.