Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glory Years....

Big Red fan since 1967

Default Remember Them Like It Was Yesterday

Thanks, 'Smitty,' for that link to the pics. Have to admit it was a blast to revisit the past in my memory. I go so far back that the oldest pics are of players I watched in training camp at Lake Forest College in Lake Forest, Illinois when my Dad and I would drive up from Chicago when he took his vacation. We'd travel to that lakeshore campus in time to see the morning practice and have a boxed lunch my mother would prepare and stay for the two-a-day practice. We started that ritual when they still played in Chi-town and thru most of the '60's when the team still used that school's facilities and owned and run by brothers, Stormy and Bill Bidwill. Great memories...

A couple of things about that link: First, is that 2nd pic of the fisheye shot of Busch Stadium. I watched the Big Red from my season-ticket seat just to the right of that cameraman's setup. My seat was on the 35 yardline, Section 35, Row 1, Seat 7 from after I returned from the war til they shook that St.Louis dust from their feet. Many great memories, of hard fought contests, exciting players and hardly ever in a soldout stadium. Second, is that the Cardinals have had in three separate eras an NFL elite O-line that point the way for today's team to add their names to that lofty achievement. The line that played in the Orange Bowl following the '64 season was the respected group of Reynolds, Goode, DeMarco, Gray, McMillan and Jackie Smith and then Don Coryell/Jim Hanifan line of Roger Finnie, Bob Young, Tom Brahaney/Tom Banks, Conrad Dobler, Dan Dierdorf and Jackie Smith, the 3rd line when Jim Hanifan was the coach and he had Luis Sharpe, Terry Stieve, Dan Dierdorf, Joe Bostic, Tootie Robbins and Doug Marsh/Greg LaFleur.

Could today's group come up to their standard and maybe even excel as they did? I, for one, would love to see may 4th NFL elite O-line. Oh, what our offense could develop into! You Valley fans would be in for a treat, a feared offensive machine for many years to come.

Thanks for posting the great picture's. I remember almost all of them. I have to say there were two that I had almost forgot about.

John David Crow, and Bobby Joe Conrad. Both are perfect football names for the position that they played. I mean...come on, what team wouldn't like to have a wide receiver or running back with names like that. They may not be hall of famers, but they were good and lived up to there unique and very cool names.

I thought I would add this video. I looked for this for some time and finally found it.

Larry Wilson with perhaps the best interception ever. Two broken hands with cast on them. Men were men back then.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...4B890D8B8CB5D0
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Good look at the 1969 squad led by Charlie Johnson vs the Billy Kilmer's Saints.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FC9819CA5736FA
    Big Red fan since 1967

Default Billy Kilmer

Ah...Billy Kilmer, I mainly remember him when he was a Redskin.

As recall, and my memory sometimes fails me....lol. I remember a game or 2 when we knocked out Joe Theisman only to face Billy as the back up.

In my opinion Billy Kilmer was better, and I think we lost those games.

I have a love hate with Billy Kilmer. He and Sonny Jurgensen were two beer belly quarterbacks you just gotta love.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    Ah...Billy Kilmer, I mainly remember him when he was a Redskin.

As recall, and my memory sometimes fails me....lol. I remember a game or 2 when we knocked out Joe Theisman only to face Billy as the back up.

In my opinion Billy Kilmer was better, and I think we lost those games.

I have a love hate with Billy Kilmer. He and Sonny Jurgensen were two beer belly quarterbacks you just gotta love.
    He also played with the 49ers. It was his fumble that Jim Marshall ran the wrong way.
    I root for 2 teams; The Cardinals and whoever is playing Dallas.

Thanks for the pics. Remember in the 70's going to 2 or 3 games a year with my uncle who had end zone season tickets. Always a blast watching the Big Red play.

Great pics Smitty. Most before my time, but I've learned a lot about some of those guys.
    We only had a regular TV show (Highlights) in the UK in 1984 for the first time. Before that we had Armed Forces Radio, although I didnt know that at the time, and highlights of the Superbowl, a week late, on a Saturday Afternoon sports show.

Stump Mitchell was one of the guys who helped me choose the Cards as my team to follow. Not that I'm blaming him of course.
    Last edited by Northern Soul; 05-28-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Twickers bound.