Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Logan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    Max Hall was at the helm when we won an important game too. But you can't seriously compare the two. Have to wonder how Max may have done under a HC like Carroll instead of Whisenhunt the QB destroyer. It'd also be interesting to know how Max would have performed with just an average O line. I felt like he had some potential.
    Sorry....

But, had you seen Hall up here in the CFL, you wouldn't use his name and potential in the same sentence.

He is 6'6". Obviously, that's what it takes to be a great quarterback.

They said he was a long term project and he wasn't supposed to see the field. Unfortunately, our top 2 qb's both went down, so he was forced in for a few series, and looked predictably lost.
    I won't belittle the kid, he's just not ready and it shows, but roster spots are valuable. If they want a project OK, but reading a defense and passing accuracy are the hallmarks of great quarterbacking.
    It gets exponentially harder in the NFL, not easier. If you aren't accurate against Tennessee-Chattanooga, it won't work against the Seahawks.
    Once my pants are on, I make the playoffs- Ayy Zee Crazy

Thomas is just a bigger stronger version of Skelton and Lindley. Don't ever see him making it at QB in the nfl. Not even a decent back up. He doesn't have the accuracy and can't read a D.

After watching Whiz totally destroy a whole bunch of QBs who obviously weren't ready for prime time, I applaud BA's approach.

When coaches and FO talent evaluators use the word potential certain positions warrant an extra long look. And QB will always be 'looked at' deeper into camp than other positions. Coaches say you can't teach arm strength, speed, height, you know, the physical attributes, of which, Logan Thomas is gifted with. But, his still being on the roster must have something to do with that word, 'potential.' A coach or two must have either asked for more time to assess his off-season progress of the intangibles of QB play or been asked by SK to treat him as a special project to see if he is a keeper.

With him having been learning the system and relaxed in not being released, just yet, his being given the opportunity to demonstrate noteworthy growth in QB play is acceptable for now. This year's selection of QB draftees is admittedly thin and after spending a fourth round pick on No.6 doesn't it make more sense to see what he can do thru training camp since he is already one year ahead of the curve?

My point really is two-fold, that he can always be released late in camp and someone else's young gun QB signed with no real harm done to QB depth and development. But, if No.6 shows a steadiness and the necessary production in higher stakes competition than the promise SK and Logan's coaches must see in him will end up being a win-win. The time is there to see what Logan has in him that the coaches can bring out. It's Logan's dream to play in the NFL and it's up to him to exhibit the confidence and talent necessary to make the roster. There's the time to see how he makes his case and he is an intriguing project. The time spent on him costs nothing at this point and BA is going to challenge him with maximum camp reps to properly evaluate him under quality QB coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    When coaches and FO talent evaluators use the word potential certain positions warrant an extra long look. And QB will always be 'looked at' deeper into camp than other positions. Coaches say you can't teach arm strength, speed, height, you know, the physical attributes, of which, Logan Thomas is gifted with. But, his still being on the roster must have something to do with that word, 'potential.' A coach or two must have either asked for more time to assess his off-season progress of the intangibles of QB play or been asked by SK to treat him as a special project to see if he is a keeper.

With him having been learning the system and relaxed in not being released, just yet, his being given the opportunity to demonstrate noteworthy growth in QB play is acceptable for now. This year's selection of QB draftees is admittedly thin and after spending a fourth round pick on No.6 doesn't it make more sense to see what he can do thru training camp since he is already one year ahead of the curve?

My point really is two-fold, that he can always be released late in camp and someone else's young gun QB signed with no real harm done to QB depth and development. But, if No.6 shows a steadiness and the necessary production in higher stakes competition than the promise SK and Logan's coaches must see in him will end up being a win-win. The time is there to see what Logan has in him that the coaches can bring out. It's Logan's dream to play in the NFL and it's up to him to exhibit the confidence and talent necessary to make the roster. There's the time to see how he makes his case and he is an intriguing project. The time spent on him costs nothing at this point and BA is going to challenge him with maximum camp reps to properly evaluate him under quality QB coaching.
    This is one of the best thought out posts on a young "potential QB" prospect that I've read on this board. Good post Tom. The verdict on LT is still out and the jury will go into deliberation this spring/summer.

As for "most" of the rest, either rants or the "I know better than anyone else" types (which are so ego-maniacal). But unfortunately these types prevail in threads like this one.

JosEPh

His selection is a sunk cost, so you are correct Tom in saying that it only makes sense to take time and see how he develops. No doubt he would be the most physically imposing quarterback in the league if he were to develop his skills. Bigger and stronger even than Kaepernick and Newton. He's not a dumb kid. Seeing and hearing his interviews demonstrate that he is mature, confident, and stable. Just needs a ton of work in processing and predicting - the hard part about pro quarterbacking. He's welcome to the third QB spot, but I hope if he is occupying that space that he has a dedicated couple of coaches working every day with him to develop him, in a way that most 3rd stringers do not.
    Once my pants are on, I make the playoffs- Ayy Zee Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by In the Cards View Post
    Can someone provide an example of a QB that eventually started in the NFL after being a 3rd stringer in order to develop for a few years?
    I'll do you one better. There was on guy who bagged groceries and then couldn't even make 3rd string in the NFL but ended up doing ok.

Thomas was a reach to start with. He lost a big opportunity to one of the worst QBs in recent history. He will struggle to make the team, especially if another QB is drafted this year.
    Last edited by monsterike; 03-29-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    Thomas was a reach to start with. He lost a big opportunity to one of the worst QBs in recent history. He will struggle to make the team, especially if another QB is drafted this year.
    'Reach' is another way of saying 'project'.

Given that BA did and has made it clear that he wasn't to play in year one, there was no opportunity missed as he was simply not ready. Setting him up for failure is hardly a development plan.

We'll see a lot more of him this offseason, and be in a better position to assess.