Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elmer's Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    Knowing this give 'n take about the O-lines of yesteryear for Valley fans comes across a bit dated for this old-school fan it's fun. Those lines represent the high-octane years for offense in the team's modern history. Think about it...Charley Johnson setting new standards for QB play with HC's Wally Lemm and Charley Winner followed by Jim Hart taking the Cardiac Cards to three successive division titles along with Terry Metcalf and Mel Gray and seeing Coryell's line coach, Jim Hanifan, schooling Neil Lomax to new heights with O.J., Stump, and Roy"Jetstream"Gray.

When going to my Row 1, Section 35 upper deck seat at Busch Stadium in the mid-'70's I would always get in as early as I could and just watch those O-lineman go thru their warmups. They'd loosen up and then Hanifan would put them thru their paces as a unit and I then sense them getting ready to battle the likes of Landry's 'Doomsday
    Defense,' or Allen's 'Old Gray Line,' or the Jet's 'Sack Exchange,' the 49'ers 'Gold Rush,' and the Ram's 'Fearsome Foursome.' They always held their own or dominated the opposing D-line.

Just talking about it brings a smile to my graybeard face for I know what BA could accomplish if he and SK are able to have the complete package of barracuda O-lineman, a unit par excellance. The sky would be the limit for CP. Look what he has accomplished this season. Go Big Red...
    I agree 100%

My two fav Rec's of all time Maynard & Fitz Maynard was a Cardinal for a cup of coffee.

Another great Cardinal that no one remembers is Jerry Stovall. A great tight safety that got injured so often.

I remember seeing that great 70's OL at Shea vs the Jets. They almost close enough the Hart to touch him it was amazing but no sacks. just a perfect pocket
    Larry Wilson Jackie Smith Jim hart Mel Gray

Jerry Stovall, No.21, is one of my all-time favorite Cardinals. Among my displayed Cardinal stuff I have a signed 8x10 glossy of him taken at Lake Forest College training camp circa 1964. Along with John David and Jim Bakken and Bobby Joe he would mingle amongst us young fans who'd travel up from the city during training camp. They would toss the ball around and answer our kid questions before the afternoon practice session. Meeting and talking to players such as these was gratifying, even inspirational. I can recall the long drive coming home and talking with my father about all things football and then overwhelming my with the days highlights while she prepared dinner.

I spurted up to near six foot the summer after finishing 8th grade and already knew I would try out for football in the Fall. I made a point of asking a Cardinal player, maybe No.21, I don't recall, if I looked like I could 'hack it?' He sized me up told me to run top speed about twenty strides and angle toward some landmark he pointed to. So I did and caught an over the shoulder throw from him. What a thrill for a kid my age! He told me I looked pretty good but I had better put on some weight. Being a newcarrier for the Chicago American and earning extra coin cutting lawns I used the next six weeks devouring milkshakes every day along with keeping my Mom from having any leftovers from dinner. When high school started that mid-September I went out for and made the Frosh team having gone from 120 up to 140 lbs. It's memories like that that I used to teach my kid brother and may own children about all things Cardinals and if I am lucky enough to repeat them to my grandkids in a few years. Hopefully I will have a SB victory to bookend my years of fandom as I bob and weave thru the stories from and with my father about the Cardinals.

Jerry Stovall was the perfect complement to Larry 'Wildcat' Wilson and I remember him well. And Don Maynard, that deceptively speedy Texan, was a special target for Joe Namath. Didn't he end his career a team and league record holder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    Jerry Stovall, No.21, is one of my all-time favorite Cardinals. Among my displayed Cardinal stuff I have a signed 8x10 glossy of him taken at Lake Forest College training camp circa 1964. Along with John David and Jim Bakken and Bobby Joe he would mingle amongst us young fans who'd travel up from the city during training camp. They would toss the ball around and answer our kid questions before the afternoon practice session. Meeting and talking to players such as these was gratifying, even inspirational. I can recall the long drive coming home and talking with my father about all things football and then overwhelming my with the days highlights while she prepared dinner.

I spurted up to near six foot the summer after finishing 8th grade and already knew I would try out for football in the Fall. I made a point of asking a Cardinal player, maybe No.21, I don't recall, if I looked like I could 'hack it?' He sized me up told me to run top speed about twenty strides and angle toward some landmark he pointed to. So I did and caught an over the shoulder throw from him. What a thrill for a kid my age! He told me I looked pretty good but I had better put on some weight. Being a newcarrier for the Chicago American and earning extra coin cutting lawns I used the next six weeks devouring milkshakes every day along with keeping my Mom from having any leftovers from dinner. When high school started that mid-September I went out for and made the Frosh team having gone from 120 up to 140 lbs. It's memories like that that I used to teach my kid brother and may own children about all things Cardinals and if I am lucky enough to repeat them to my grandkids in a few years. Hopefully I will have a SB victory to bookend my years of fandom as I bob and weave thru the stories from and with my father about the Cardinals.

Jerry Stovall was the perfect complement to Larry 'Wildcat' Wilson and I remember him well. And Don Maynard, that deceptively speedy Texan, was a special target for Joe Namath. Didn't he end his career a team and league record holder?
    Yes he did! He had that extra gear that he would shift into & he was gone. I tried out for the jets LOL or I wrote a letter for a tryout. But they said we are not doing tryouts this year..... That was it...never would have made it but it would have been fun trying.

Do you ever go to games anymore & are you a Baseball Cardinals fan?
    Larry Wilson Jackie Smith Jim hart Mel Gray