Thread: Any parking lot tailgaters?

Default Any parking lot tailgaters?

I'm wondering if any parking lot tailgaters have had any issues with the parking lot golf cart staff. My tailgate is simple, a couple of tables, a grill, some folding chairs, an ice chest with beverages, just a handful of people getting together before the game to eat, shoot the breeze, have a few beers. We're as harmless as the day is long. We spread into the parking spot behind us by a couple feet, a friend of mine always arrives a little later and he always parks there. There's never a shortage of parking and we would of course get out of the way if anyone insisted on parking there.

Anyway, at the Washington game the golf cart pulls up and it's got a cop on board. The Pride Group lady tells us to get the chairs out of the adjacent spot. One of my friends politely says a few more people are coming (true, they were parked in another lot and were walking over). Then I said that another friend would be there in probably 15 minutes and would take the spot. Totally low key. At that point the cop gets out of the cart, comes up to me and says "look it's like elementary school, if you do it then everybody else will start doing it", etc. A complete (rhymes with stole). I just said OK no problem, we moved the chairs 18 or so inches to the north until my friend arrived 10 minutes later and occupied the spot, after which we spread out again. Keep in mind the game was nowhere near at full attendance and there were parking spots galore.

I suggest that if the Cardinals want to be known for their "game day experience" they tell the cops they rent to back off and save the attitude for the criminals and liars they will chase when they're on real duty. Not a bunch of guys wearing Cardinal jerseys just hanging out.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    I'm wondering if any parking lot tailgaters have had any issues with the parking lot golf cart staff. My tailgate is simple, a couple of tables, a grill, some folding chairs, an ice chest with beverages, just a handful of people getting together before the game to eat, shoot the breeze, have a few beers. We're as harmless as the day is long. We spread into the parking spot behind us by a couple feet, a friend of mine always arrives a little later and he always parks there. There's never a shortage of parking and we would of course get out of the way if anyone insisted on parking there.

Anyway, at the Washington game the golf cart pulls up and it's got a cop on board. The Pride Group lady tells us to get the chairs out of the adjacent spot. One of my friends politely says a few more people are coming (true, they were parked in another lot and were walking over). Then I said that another friend would be there in probably 15 minutes and would take the spot. Totally low key. At that point the cop gets out of the cart, comes up to me and says "look it's like elementary school, if you do it then everybody else will start doing it", etc. A complete (rhymes with stole). I just said OK no problem, we moved the chairs 18 or so inches to the north until my friend arrived 10 minutes later and occupied the spot, after which we spread out again. Keep in mind the game was nowhere near at full attendance and there were parking spots galore.

I suggest that if the Cardinals want to be known for their "game day experience" they tell the cops they rent to back off and save the attitude for the criminals and liars they will chase when they're on real duty. Not a bunch of guys wearing Cardinal jerseys just hanging out.

Rant over.
    Sounds like the rent a cop was just doing his job, not being a jerk, and all ended well for you. I understand that these guys give up a lot of free time to work these OT jobs at malls and parking lots and the pay is typically low. I usually say "Thanks for your service." Then do what is asked. Most off duty cops are extraordinary people, pay taxes, have families, and vote, just like us.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Sounds like the rent a cop was just doing his job, not being a jerk, and all ended well for you. I understand that these guys give up a lot of free time to work these OT jobs at malls and parking lots and the pay is typically low. I usually say "Thanks for your service." Then do what is asked. Most off duty cops are extraordinary people, pay taxes, have families, and vote, just like us.
    I've heard the opposite, that they get paid quite well for the off duty work and clamor for it. I wasn't saying the guy was a bad citizen, didn't pay his taxes, etc.. Just exercise a little bit of judgment and cool it with the attitude. Just to be clear, this was a uniformed Glendale cop with a gun, the whole thing. Not a Pinkerton type guy. None of us were copping an attitude, just trying to explain in a logical manner.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    I've heard the opposite, that they get paid quite well for the off duty work and clamor for it. I wasn't saying the guy was a bad citizen, didn't pay his taxes, etc.. Just exercise a little bit of judgment and cool it with the attitude. Just to be clear, this was a uniformed Glendale cop with a gun, the whole thing. Not a Pinkerton type guy. None of us were copping an attitude, just trying to explain in a logical manner.
    OH, I understand exactly what you are saying about 'attitude.' I was stopped and cited by a uniformed patrolman for a "California rolling stop" at a right on red light at about noontime, 25 years ago. As the patrolman approached my vehicle, I clearly noted that his right hand was on his service revolver. The words that came out of his mouth were the usual: license and registration. I was wrong and said so to the patrolman. Then I fully complied with all instructions. I mentioned that I was shaken a bit by the revolver thing. On that day, two men were being very cautious.

CA rolling stop = moving @ 5-10mph.