Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: At what price tag do we move on from C Campbell?

I agree that CC did very well in 2016. His numbers were impressive for a change. Yet, I am holding fast to SK paying CC what he's worth today for 2 more years hard work, plus bus fare money if CC then decides to go his own way after the 2018 season. If CC does a repeat of the 2016 performance in 2017 and 2018, then pay him well again. Our GM is working hard to assemble a physical playoff team for the long haul. That means spreading the dough around, paying top dollar and inking longer contracts for younger and stronger and faster guys who will be team major contributors for the longest time, and putting the older and fatter guys on notice that the pay will be good but the contracts shorter and shorter as skills diminish and years pile up. My math make sense to yaw'l? It's just business smarts to me.

Back up CC's age by 4 years, add the 2016 performance, then CC is worth the half-decade long contract and $MMMs dollars that CC's agent thinks CC's worth to the organization. Otherwise, I fold.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    It's just business smarts to me.
    Business smarts are fine as long as they are being used in conjunction with football smarts. I just can't imagine Campbell or his agent are asking for something untenable. I would guess Keim is offering a deal close to what Bennett got, and CC is likely looking for a Demarcus Ware deal. If that is the case, the two sides are within a few million already, and there is no reason to believe something won't get worked out. The Cardinals DL is MEASURABLY better with CC playing on it, and CC has personal ties to the area and organization. It's mutually beneficial to work something out, and I'm sure it will happen.

Jefferson is a different story. While he certainly seems to enjoy playing in Arizona, he has consistently made it clear that, ever since he was tendered, he was going to be after the money. I don't think he is worth more than $5M a year. It is quite possible that some desperate team money whips him. If that happens, Keim has a fall back in DJ Swearinger. There is no fall back for CC, whose departure would only make it likely that the Cards "fall back."

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Business smarts are fine as long as they are being used in conjunction with football smarts. I just can't imagine Campbell or his agent are asking for something untenable. I would guess Keim is offering a deal close to what Bennett got, and CC is likely looking for a Demarcus Ware deal. If that is the case, the two sides are within a few million already, and there is no reason to believe something won't get worked out. The Cardinals DL is MEASURABLY better with CC playing on it, and CC has personal ties to the area and organization. It's mutually beneficial to work something out, and I'm sure it will happen.

Jefferson is a different story. While he certainly seems to enjoy playing in Arizona, he has consistently made it clear that, ever since he was tendered, he was going to be after the money. I don't think he is worth more than $5M a year. It is quite possible that some desperate team money whips him. If that happens, Keim has a fall back in DJ Swearinger. There is no fall back for CC, whose departure would only make it likely that the Cards "fall back."
    Since we're just thinking out loud, I say that falling farther down from an 7-8-1 record is a slip, not a Cleveland-type 15-1 crash and burn. I concur that CC's contributions from 2016 will not be easily back-filled. And, whatever Keim has in mind for CC's total contract value won't kill the team payroll. Neither will CC's departure devastate the organization if it comes to that. Thanks for pointing out Jefferson's creed and greed. There's a huge difference between Campbell and Jefferson when it comes to loyalties and wants.

It might be better to rein in that 'creed and greed' talk when talking about NFL FA's. Their situations come in all flavors and should not be assessed alike. Comparing CC and Tony illustrates my point. For CC, while being an older veteran, he's already had his crack at his first extension beyond the rookie contract. He earned a handsome bonus and played the contract out and is seeking a fair deal which is likely his last.

The younger Jefferson, unlike CC, was an UDFA who's had to claw and scrape and pray to get where he is at now, that is, a chance to his talent value. He had to endure and thrive in an environment that is set up to limit his opportunity to overcome. He succeeded and put himself in a position of being wanted, of feeling the self-satisfaction of believing in himself.

I can relate to that journey for Tony in myself, where a person has to work a little harder, wait a little longer and deal with having been labelled, which never goes away. Yes, I would want Tony to reveal less of himself off the field, but will overlook his enjoying the spotlight shining on him. He earned it and should tone down his exurberance once this contract issue and employer are determined.

Calais can be replaced, just like Tony, but it would be with a much less experienced player. I try not to pay much attention to this 'dead' time from the end of the SB to the start of free agency, there's just not enough juice to quench our wanting to be in the know. I guess I have too much Sgt.Joe Friday in me, i.e. "Just the fact Ma'am, just the facts."

Am confident SK will work out things with our own FA's to keep the lockerroom intact as best as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    1. "no noise" ? It's been reported that they are down to a $1 to $1.5m separation.
    2. We have no CAP problems and it will take very little creative accounting to sign CC and meet other perceived needs.
    3. You and I don't know what Keim will do.
    4. The PATS simply do not sign large Free Agent deals. Period.
    5. Hometown discounts are largely a myth.
    I think you're confusing Jefferson with CC. Gambo reported that the Cards and TJ were within 1-1.5M annually. I haven't heard anything like that on Calais. Heard that Tampa and Tennessee were willing to start deals at 13M per. If so, he's either gone or taking a massive discount to stay. Cards aren't going past 10, maybe stretch to 11 per, but I doubt it. And if teams are starting at 13, they'll be fine going upward of 15M per.
    Last edited by 1988CARD; 02-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988CARD View Post
    I think you're confusing Jefferson with CC. Gambo reported that the Cards and TJ were within 1-1.5M annually. I haven't heard anything like that on Calais. Heard that Tampa and Tennessee were willing to start deals at 13M per. If so, he's either gone or taking a massive discount to stay. Cards aren't going past 10, maybe stretch to 11 per, but I doubt it. And if teams are starting at 13, they'll be fine going upward of 15M per.
    Perhaps. It was from a Tweet by one of the beat reporters.

I pay little attention to the claims at this point which are largely promoted by agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    It might be better to rein in that 'creed and greed' talk when talking about NFL FA's. Their situations come in all flavors and should not be assessed alike. Comparing CC and Tony illustrates my point. For CC, while being an older veteran, he's already had his crack at his first extension beyond the rookie contract. He earned a handsome bonus and played the contract out and is seeking a fair deal which is likely his last.

The younger Jefferson, unlike CC, was an UDFA who's had to claw and scrape and pray to get where he is at now, that is, a chance to his talent value. He had to endure and thrive in an environment that is set up to limit his opportunity to overcome. He succeeded and put himself in a position of being wanted, of feeling the self-satisfaction of believing in himself.

I can relate to that journey for Tony in myself, where a person has to work a little harder, wait a little longer and deal with having been labelled, which never goes away. Yes, I would want Tony to reveal less of himself off the field, but will overlook his enjoying the spotlight shining on him. He earned it and should tone down his exurberance once this contract issue and employer are determined.

Calais can be replaced, just like Tony, but it would be with a much less experienced player. I try not to pay much attention to this 'dead' time from the end of the SB to the start of free agency, there's just not enough juice to quench our wanting to be in the know. I guess I have too much Sgt.Joe Friday in me, i.e. "Just the fact Ma'am, just the facts."

Am confident SK will work out things with our own FA's to keep the lockerroom intact as best as needed.
    TS, thanks for the note. My bad if I came across as painting every player with a greed brush. I think your view can be applied to many, many football players that make it to the big show. I can't begin to imagine all the hard work and pain on their trails to stardom. About CC, he is a true class act. TJ deserves his limelight and a big payday, as you say. Lastly, I couldn't agree more about the line, "Trust in BASK." They'll get the FA's they want.