Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 116

Thread: Jefferson and Campbell Gone?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    One really big assumption that Card fans are making is that the Cards are on the cusp of playing/winning the SB. More likely, our window has closed on the current roster and the reason guys like CC and TJ are leaving is that they know that our opportunity has come and gone. Might as well grab the big contract since the chances of competing are just as good with the Jags/Ravens. If the Cards don't (or can't) solve the QB dilemma, we will have a team of a few decent players with no one to lead them. We saw what happened when KW retired and the Cards floundered and flopped like a hooked fish on dry land.
    "Cusp" or not, CC was never going to leave $27m on the table nor was TJ going to leave $12m, which is the difference between the last reported Card offers and what they left for. This is first and foremost a business for both owners and players.

    Get your coin and if it also leads to a ring, great!

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Two FA's that the Cardinals should target...

    Safety - TJ McDonald
    WR- Cordarrelle Patterson

    Both are 25 years old and will help the current Cardinals roster.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    One really big assumption that Card fans are making is that the Cards are on the cusp of playing/winning the SB. More likely, our window has closed on the current roster and the reason guys like CC and TJ are leaving is that they know that our opportunity has come and gone. Might as well grab the big contract since the chances of competing are just as good with the Jags/Ravens. If the Cards don't (or can't) solve the QB dilemma, we will have a team of a few decent players with no one to lead them. We saw what happened when KW retired and the Cards floundered and flopped like a hooked fish on dry land.
    I see it more as just a money factor. The team just had a disproportionate number of players reach FA all at the same time as signing a big puzzle piece in Chandler Jones. The real casualty was CC. In the meantime guys like TJ and Swearinger and others are heading out because they got good offers. Nothing particularly earth shattering is really happening IMO.

    The main players are still in place. QB...OT...pass rush...secondary....Fitz and DJ.... the D line is FAR from decimated....and this thing is just now getting started.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    I see it more as just a money factor. The team just had a disproportionate number of players reach FA all at the same time as signing a big puzzle piece in Chandler Jones. The real casualty was CC. In the meantime guys like TJ and Swearinger and others are heading out because they got good offers. Nothing particularly earth shattering is really happening IMO.

    The main players are still in place. QB...OT...pass rush...secondary....Fitz and DJ.... the D line is FAR from decimated....and this thing is just now getting started.
    Exactly. We are entering year five of the BASK era. In 2013 Keim took the reins, brought in BA, who together did one of the largest roster makeovers I've ever witnessed in any sport. In that context, it makes sense that this was a year so many contracts would be ending.

    A trip down memory lane. In 2012 we ended 5-11. Our contract and cap situation was an absolute nightmare. We had drafted Floyd in the first, had no second as we'd traded it away along with DRC for Kolb, who spent 2012 on IR. Then drafted Fleming, Massie, Kelemente, Bethel and Lindley.

    Those of us posting back then often discussed our weakenesses in the "big three" positions of QB, LT and OLB. We were rolling to loss after loss, 11 of the last 12 games, with Skelton or Lindley at QB, horrible Levi Brown at LT who ended up on IR backed by names like Batiste, Potter and Snyder, and OLBs like Acho, Groves and Schoefield. We were paying safeties like Adub and Rhodes, WRs like Fitz, DEs like Dockett, the aforementioned Levi Brown and unproven QB Kolb as far as cap goes.

    Go back and google the 2012 roster, and see how far we've come. Look at our situation compared to then, with two LTs far more capable than Levi locked up, one looking to be a young stud cornerstone LT. Two young bookend OLBs locked up far better than anything we had when BASK arrived. A vet pro QB best since Warner to lead this year and either a QBOF pick this draft to learn under him or the money and picks to have a great shot at a FA or rookie QBOF next year. We are in great shape with the "big three" positions as it goes in the NFL. Only real question mark for me is QB after Palmer...but we have the ammo to address that. They got Palmer with far less in 2013!

    On top of this we have one of the best young RBs in the NFL, and two of best young DBs in the NFL, all locked up. Young Gunter and Nkemdiche on the DLine are question marks that will be answered this season. We still have a draft coming, with some exciting options at ILB, DLine, S, CB, Oline, WR. We have quality vet leaders and quality young guys with leadership potential, as "team captain" is a regular phrase in BASK FA and draft profiles. QB, LT and OLB is where it's at in the NFL. All these other positions...TEs, S, CB, RBs, C, G, WRs...can all be replaced more easily for less money in FA and drafts.

    2017 was always going to be a tough year for free agency. Some of us kept saying it going back a year. Keim certainly knew it and prepared for the big hits like CC starting years ago with Gunter and then Nkemdiche. This should make fans happy. We have a GM who has a long term plan. He's not going to hit home runs every time at the plate. He couldn't know Palmer or Badger would blow a knee right after a big contract. He couldn't know Jefferson would have a career year after getting him on a cheap tender vs a new contract.

    But he has a plan, both short term and long term without sacrificing one for the other. A giant CC deal would have sacrificed long term for the short, while Gunter and/or Nkemdiche mostly sat on the bench.

    Short term he is working on ST failures in replacing kicker and punter I don't doubt we will see more in returning and coverage personnel. This was our biggest issue last year...offense and defense were top 10. For our inevitable personnel losses, he is band-aiding with high football IQ, passionate, consistent vets with leadership qualities and who know the "Palmer/Fitz deal" and want a shot at winning. These band-aids will give us a shot this year then give us flexabilty in the post Palmer/Fitz era for another massive reboot a la 2013.

    Except we will be positioned better than going into 2013 in personnel, contracts and money.

    Looking forward to the rest of FA and the draft.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    "Cusp" or not, CC was never going to leave $27m on the table nor was TJ going to leave $12m, which is the difference between the last reported Card offers and what they left for. This is first and foremost a business for both owners and players.

    Get your coin and if it also leads to a ring, great!
    Actually, for TJ the difference was $2M.

    The Ravens offered $14M gtd and AZ offered $12M gtd.

    In the current NFL, the guaranteed money is all that matters.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,067

    Default

    Very well put and argued, DH.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Actually, for TJ the difference was $2M.

    The Ravens offered $14M gtd and AZ offered $12M gtd.

    In the current NFL, the guaranteed money is all that matters.
    Ok... but doubt that if Card's had matched the guarantee on a $ 24 vs $36m deal that he would have stuck around.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Ok... but doubt that if Card's had matched the guarantee on a $ 24 vs $36m deal that he would have stuck around.
    You are likely correct, given that TJ himself basically said he was offended by Keim's initial offer in December, and at that point one foot was already out the door.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    You are likely correct, given that TJ himself basically said he was offended by Keim's initial offer in December, and at that point one foot was already out the door.
    And the true guarantee is in truth the bonus and, lest we forget, the year one salary. This last point is likely to be higher on a $36 vs $24m deal.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    And the true guarantee is in truth the bonus and, lest we forget, the year one salary. This last point is likely to be higher on a $36 vs $24m deal.
    That's part of the guarantee. End of the day, the guarantees (bonus plus whatever year(s) salary was gtd) was:
    Baltimore: $14M
    Arizona: $12M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •