Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jefferson and Campbell Gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    The money "is" there. CC made $9.5m with a $15m CAP hit in 2016 and we had no problem fielding a competitive team on paper last season.

It is a football decision when it comes to CC, not money, as the offers will probably come in at the same range as 2016.

There is all kinds of ways of creating additional space, if required.
    Yep! It'll be interesting to see how it ends up.

We can sign everyone really. There is also a nice stack available if they get a deal done with Jones, to get him off the Tag.

Do we not receive a Washington's money back? That's $4M right there. Do we have to wait for the season to start?
    No more Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by The What? View Post
    Yep! It'll be interesting to see how it ends up.

We can sign everyone really. There is also a nice stack available if they get a deal done with Jones, to get him off the Tag.

Do we not receive a Washington's money back? That's $4M right there. Do we have to wait for the season to start?
    While the CAP sites include Washington's salary, truth is, we do not pay it and receive CAP relief for the amount. Has been that way since he was suspended.

While the CAP sites include Washington's salary, truth is, we do not pay it and receive CAP relief for the amount. Has been that way since he was suspended.
    Excellent comment, CC.

Correct, the only thing counting against the Cards is his signing bonus money ($2.5 million this season, regardless if he is reinstated or remains suspended). The Cards talked going after signing bonus money but have not done so. The more time goes by the less chance of getting that money back

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2017/01/...shington-info/

TJ McDonald could be a cheaper and nice replacement. Rams are letting him test the market. He can definitely play in the box as well
    Last edited by Nando; 03-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    TJ McDonald could be a cheaper and nice replacement. Rams are letting him test the market. He can definitely play in the box as well
    TJM = 6'2" and 220lb. The guy can run and hit with power -- when healthy. He's missed a few games in 2015-16.

TJM is under contract thru 2017. He'll test the market and his agent will probably ask for a new Rams deal comparable to other 4-5 year Safeties, e.g., $50+M w/ $10-12M guaranteed cash on the table, or he walks.

I predict that TJM will get paid by the Rams. That team can't lose anymore of its better defenders.

Default PFT - Reports

It looks like the Cardinals defense will be down a couple of key players from last year’s unit when the team returns to work this offseason.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that word around the Scouting Combine this week is that the Cardinals will lose both defensive end Calais Campbell and safety Tony Jefferson as free agents. Per Somers, the players — who rank 10th and 14th on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents — are “going to command more money” than the Cardinals will be willing or able to pay them to remain in Arizona.

Campbell’s departure would leave the Cardinals without a player that has been a fixture in the Arizona lineup since coming to the team as a second-round pick in 2008. Mike Klis of KUSA in Denver reported this week that the Broncos are expected to make a run at signing Campbell.

Jefferson hits free agency after the Cardinals signed Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu to long-term deals and at a moment when they used the franchise tag to lock up linebacker Chandler Jones and a fair chunk of cap space. That’s made his departure a likely outcome for some time.

Somers reports that re-signing safety D.J. Swearinger and tight end Jermaine Gresham would take on a higher priority if things play out as expected with Campbell and Jefferson.

Just hope the people that wanted to let CC walk don't complain about the run D next year

I see Campbell staying and Jefferson leaving. Calais is too vital to the defense stopping the run, and overall toughness, durability. He got 8 sacks and forced a couple fumbles, picked off a pass, and had a lot of tackles. They can't afford to lose a player that important to defensive success. You can find a safety but you can't depend on a red-shirted rookie who doesn't show he gets it to replace a player like CC.
    Last edited by BulldogsCards; 03-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Just hope the people that wanted to let CC walk don't complain about the run D next year
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing anyone wanting to let him go. I love CC, he is staple and it isn't right thinking of him in another uniform, but they can't pay everyone.

I would keep CC over Tony if I had to choose. I personally would pay him as he is great for team and community. A lot of money gets freed up next year with Fitz and Palmer leaving. I just think Cards know he is moving on.