Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ty Branch reportedly takes 50% pay cut

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Ian Whetstone‏
    @IanWhetstone
    Looks like Arizona CB Justin Bethel took a straight reduction in pay from $4.5M to $2M this year, and had his 2018 contract year deleted
    Good!!
    "It's OUR Time"

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Ian Whetstone‏
    @IanWhetstone
    Looks like Arizona CB Justin Bethel took a straight reduction in pay from $4.5M to $2M this year, and had his 2018 contract year deleted
    Wow! Kept Bethel and Branch in the backfield at salaries and cap hits more in line with production, giving us $4.5 million more cap this year and more flexability in years to come. As I said earlier these were the two potential cuts of guys I could have seen for cap reasons, but very glad both are staying as both still have important roles here.

Sweet
    Last edited by Birdgang95; 03-15-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Just read that Bethel is taking a pay cut to become a unrestricted free agent next year.. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Wow! Kept Bethel and Branch in the backfield at salaries and cap hits more in line with production, giving us $4.5 million more cap this year and more flexability in years to come. As I said earlier these were the two potential cuts of guys I could have seen for cap reasons, but very glad both are staying as both still have important roles here.
    Bethel, after accelerating his signing bonus into 2017, is a $1.75m saving against the CAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Bethel, after accelerating his signing bonus into 2017, is a $1.75m saving against the CAP.
    Ah, got it. Still helps. Next year's team is going to look much different I think. Keim seems to be doing several things to get a few new pieces for a run this year, though.

This also puts the pressure on Bethel making it a contract year for him in this 2017 Palmer/Fitz push. He was given a big contract in anticipation of being able to step into the CB2 role and didn't work out. Got called "failure in progress"...harsh but he seemed to respond to that pressure at the end of the season. I hope he steps up, knowing he's got a second chance to prove himself and get paid here or as a FA next year.

Default HMMMM ... is SK planning on another trade or veteran cut ?

Didn't last yr Patrick Peterson gets his contract reworked allowing for more cap room and then within a short period of time the Chandler Jones trade happened ???

HMMM ... now we see Branch - Bethel (2 of the 3 players whom I cited would be asked to take pay cuts to free up space) getting their deals reworked and pay cut to free up cap space. Almost all of the FA's available would not be a big hit to the cap, so is SK about ready to make a trade for a vet who has a decent salary at a need position ???? As I stated before, I am incredulous as to why either Warford (G) or Baker (DT) was not signed since their APY was reasonable; however maybe SK had another plan as he's talking with teams and with possibly several 2018 compensatory picks as hedges to trading away maybe a draft pick this yr and one next yr to get a player on last yr of his deal ??????

I am just trying to connect dots here and I am very surprised that SK didn't make a couple moves already. Next yr the Cards will have a load of Cap Room and a lot of picks and 2017 is the year the window is still open -- I am smelling a trade coming OR he is freeing up some $$ for Claiborne or Hightower ??

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Didn't last yr Patrick Peterson gets his contract reworked allowing for more cap room and then within a short period of time the Chandler Jones trade happened ???

HMMM ... now we see Branch - Bethel (2 of the 3 players whom I cited would be asked to take pay cuts to free up space) getting their deals reworked and pay cut to free up cap space. Almost all of the FA's available would not be a big hit to the cap, so is SK about ready to make a trade for a vet who has a decent salary at a need position ???? As I stated before, I am incredulous as to why either Warford (G) or Baker (DT) was not signed since their APY was reasonable; however maybe SK had another plan as he's talking with teams and with possibly several 2018 compensatory picks as hedges to trading away maybe a draft pick this yr and one next yr to get a player on last yr of his deal ??????

I am just trying to connect dots here and I am very surprised that SK didn't make a couple moves already. Next yr the Cards will have a load of Cap Room and a lot of picks and 2017 is the year the window is still open -- I am smelling a trade coming OR he is freeing up some $$ for Claiborne or Hightower ??
    I think they're both gone aren't they?

I'm wondering about something even bigger than that....

I guess Claiborne is still available, Not Hightower, he re-upped w/ BB.
    Last edited by CardCore; 03-15-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post

Hightower is staying with the Pats, and I don't think Claiborne would be that expensive though is reportedly likely going to Baltimore. They let Cooper go and looked to be serious about letting Bethel go unless he agreed to a pay cut. Those were the top two CB2 possibilities already with the team, and we all know we still needed a CB2 upgrade anyway. I doubt they think we are now good with only Bethel and Williams as CB2, or BA comfortable with an unknown rookie CB.

There is another thread about DRC, who overthecap targeted as a top CB most likely to be cut for cap reasons. A more recent Giants writer listed trading or cutting DRC as a way to free some cap room, as they are currently using him in the slot, have other options (drafted Eli Apple), only have him under contract until next year, and owe him $8.5 million each year. Now, with the signing of Fluker, the Giants have the least cap room of any team, and some holes to work on. They are another team that's close and trying to do all they can this year.

Possible we trade a late pick and take on an $8.5 million contract for a CB2? I don't think so. But maybe for a 30 yr old CB with a lot of talent who supposedly would like to come back to the team that drafted him, they could work a trade with DRC agreeing to a new contract that is more reasonable, instead of being traded to anyone or cut.

Any other CB trades anyone can see happening? Right guard? Anything else? QBOF??

It's hard to get a handle on our current cap situation, but my scribbles estimate $15-17 million available. We haven't done any huge cap hit FA deals except Jones...but even that one was structured to shift cap hits to later years...why, if there wasn't a plan for the cap money this year? There's enough there it seems to go after someone big, and there isn't much big left in the remaining pool of FAs.
    Last edited by Dry Heat; 03-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.