Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marcus Cooper to the Bears

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    They won the SB because they have Belichick as Head Coach and Brady (with a relatively small salary) as QB. Nothing else matters.

Cooks won't help as much as you think. His value comes solely on deep routes, but Brady makes his hay on quick hitters where precision and timing are paramount, and Cooks is a bit of a sloppy route runner.

Bennett was a match-up nightmare in two-TE sets with Gronk. Allen won't be. He's basically an in-line TE.
    Nothing else matters?

the fact they don't have a cap nightmare? That doesn't "matter". Its huge.

Yes it's clear BB/Brady is the glue on this team and one that would win some championships. But putting it all together the way they are doing NOW is making them a perennial favorite.

Cook is a weapon . Another weapon. Longer routes open things up for underneath routes. They didn't have that much last year. Route running? Jeez you sound like a scout where did you pick that gem up?

NE had an outstanding off season.
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Nothing else matters?

the fact they don't have a cap nightmare? That doesn't "matter". Its huge.

Yes it's clear BB/Brady is the glue on this team and one that would win some championships. But putting it all together the way they are doing NOW is making them a perennial favorite.

Cook is a weapon . Another weapon. Longer routes open things up for underneath routes. They didn't have that much last year. Route running? Jeez you sound like a scout where did you pick that gem up?

NE had an outstanding off season.
    Watch Cooks on the All-22. You'll see it. He doesn't track the ball well unless it's in his original sight-line. He tends to round off routes. He doesn't use his body well to adjust his speed and generate space on underthrown 9-routes. His steps can be choppy at times.

He's fast. Really fast. And he will be a pain to chase on drags. And yes when he crushes the CB off the line he will draw Safeties away.

But the NE offense, for the most part, is completely predicated at this point on rubs and slants and hooks and back-shoulder outs. Timing and precision.

Brady has his first deep threat since Moss. But Brady also doesn't have near the arm strength he had ten years ago.

And the REASONS they face no cap issues are:
    1) Brady has played his entire career under market value and
    2) Having a HC like BB and a QB like TB12 means everyone else is basically interchangeable. So the cap should never be a problem because you can delegate your money responsibly on defense, and just plug in skill guys and OL on offense.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 03-16-2017 at 07:13 PM.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...gency-tracker/

Based on PFF, Nickell Roby is the best remaining CB FA. 78.6 is a very solid grade on the season. Only 25. but hes only 5'8. That wont work. After him they got Brandon Flowers. 31. 76.7 aint bad.

Ugh, this disgusts me....I remember 2 years ago the Cardinals worked out Terrance Newman. And for 2 years hes been aeguably one of the top 5 CBs in the entire NFL for the Vikings. What an absolute stud.

But hes 39!

The football dont care how old somebody is. That 39 year old is balling out crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

Based on PFF, Nickell Roby is the best remaining CB FA. 78.6 is a very solid grade on the season. Only 25. but hes only 5'8. That wont work. After him they got Brandon Flowers. 31. 76.7 aint bad.

Ugh, this disgusts me....I remember 2 years ago the Cardinals worked out Terrance Newman. And for 2 years hes been aeguably one of the top 5 CBs in the entire NFL for the Vikings. What an absolute stud.

But hes 39!

The football dont care how old somebody is. That 39 year old is balling out crazy
    I'd give Ladarius Webb a whirl at outside CB.

He reminds me of a better, more versatile Powers. Not ideal size, but Bettcher loves playing a hybrid Quarters on the other side of PP (believe it or not, the Cardinals rarely play press man across the board. It's usually just PP21 and a zone of some sort behind him.) And I guess you could argue that Webb's position flexibility could make up for the fact that he isn't 6'2", 215lbs. (interchangeable parts can be valuable when injuries hit)

Plus, he was cut, so he wouldn't count in the comp pick equation that Keim is obviously paying close attention to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

But hes 39!

Are here any reports of us talking to any FA CBs? I know they talked about wanting to keep Cooper but not over-paying. AND, they were obviously serious enough about potentially cutting Bethel resulting in him agreeing to take a pay cut. We know they aren't satisfied with who we have at CB2, and they don't seem to have pursued any of the FA's out there very hard. I don't think they are going into the season comfortable with some unknown rookie from pick #13 or any other pick, after Williams last year. BA doesn't drop rookies right in.

Reading the tea leaves a bit, but I still think Keim has something trade-related up his sleeve. He felt OLB was the big need last year and pulled the Jones trade off. Could something similar be in the works?

They should be able to find an upgrade over Cooper in the draft this year. Very rich cb draft and the difference is they won't over pay for it. Cooper was good but that cb opposite PP was getting burned a lot whoever was playing there.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan