Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft Needs - Opinions

cardinals 2017 Draft Needs - Opinions

#1 Looks like we need a CB and I'd like to draft a guy in the first round, get the best guy possible...it's no fun watching teams torch you so yeah get a ball hawk.

#2 We're gonna need a WR as well, But mostly for next year so I'd like to get a guy like Fitz, if possible

#3 It would have been cool to get Revis and play him as FS, He would own in that position! Ball hawk.

#4 How's our O Line looking now?

#5 We need Linebackers who can cover the pass.

#6 Wait for 2018 to draft Sam Darnold QB.

My responses:

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper1111 View Post
    #1 Looks like we need a CB and I'd like to draft a guy in the first round, get the best guy possible...it's no fun watching teams torch you so yeah get a ball hawk.

The Cards have been drafting for this position like last year with Williams and Miller and I expect Bethel to compete with another player, maybe a vet picked up by Keim. I believe the Cards take the best player available at #13, not necessarily a cb.

#2 We're gonna need a WR as well, But mostly for next year so I'd like to get a guy like Fitz, if possible

This would allow a lot offensively and hard to ignore. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they try to make their offense better. Corey Davis would make this offense scary if he can handle the big show off the field.

#3 It would have been cool to get Revis and play him as FS, He would own in that position! Ball hawk.
    With the amount of nickel played on defenses now, it wouldn't surprise me if Revis is explored to use as a db in that scheme.

#4 How's our O Line looking now?

Another position built with past talent like Toner, Boehm, Wetzel that quietly have been getting better playing together. I expect a veteran brought in to compete.

#5 We need Linebackers who can cover the pass.
    If no wr in round 1, I could see a Peppers or versatile athlete like a Cunningham picked. They would have the perfect mentors on D to learn from and they could be moved around in the scheme.

#6 Wait for 2018 to draft Sam Darnold QB.
    I like Josh Dobbs out of Tennessee as a qb pick in maybe the 5th or sixth round.
    Last edited by BulldogsCards; 03-12-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Dobbs will be no more than a career back up. If he even makes it that far. I can see him playing in Canada. Guy had all the tools and the team was loaded with talent and he never put it together. Neither did the team. He is better than Logan Thomas but not by much....Pass on Dobbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Dobbs will be no more than a career back up. If he even makes it that far. I can see him playing in Canada. Guy had all the tools and the team was loaded with talent and he never put it together. Neither did the team. He is better than Logan Thomas but not by much....Pass on Dobbs.
    What should be the answer at the qb position going into this draft? Is the answer drafting a qb right away? I don't see that slam dunk without reaching for a qb.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Trade down Rd #1 -- pick Adoree Jackson CB/Returner
    #2 - Zay Jones WR
    #3 - Dion Dawkins G/T - Temple
    #3 (picked up from trade down) - Duke Riley, LSU or Davis Webb QB (Cards will probably work him out and will see if he's bright enough and a hard worker to pickup pro system under CP/Leftwich's tutelege. CP is still under contract including 2018 so it is not a given that he is done after this year so can BASK go 1 more yr until drafting a QB in a better class (2018).

BTW: Many of the ILB's are still available (someone will do a team-friendly 1 yr deal) - other than Hightower, you have Z. Brown - Hodges - Spence - McClain - Minter - Sio Moore.

One other closing thought Jahri Evans G -- if he still wants to play football could be a cheap 1 yr deal if SK can sell him on the Cards making SB. TJ Lang is available but will be too expensive.
    Last edited by SurpriseCardFan; 03-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Trade down Rd #1 -- pick Adoree Jackson CB/Returner
    #2 - Zay Jones WR
    #3 - Dion Dawkins G/T - Temple
    #3 (picked up from trade down) - Duke Riley, LSU or Davis Webb QB (Cards will probably work him out and will see if he's bright enough and a hard worker to pickup pro system under CP/Leftwich's tutelege. CP is still under contract including 2018 so it is not a given that he is done after this year so can BASK go 1 more yr until drafting a QB in a better class (2018).

BTW: Many of the ILB's are still available (someone will do a team-friendly 1 yr deal) - other than Hightower, you have Z. Brown - Hodges - Spence - McClain - Minter - Sio Moore.

One other closing thought Jahri Evans G -- if he still wants to play football could be a cheap 1 yr deal if SK can sell him on the Cards making SB. TJ Lang is available but will be too expensive.
    Sounds like Lang just signed with the Lions, which is good because we probably couldn't afford but Green Bay and Seattle were after him. I still don't think the Lions are as good as their record last year.

Two things I think of right away are QB and a Fitz replacement. I'm sure there are a lot of others that feel the same way. The problem with drafting a QB is Trubisky and Watson will not be there. Mahomes is a maybe. Something tells me if SK tries to trade back and pick Mahomes later than 13 somebody will take him ahead of us, ala last draft when Denver did that.

I don't know how Keim & Co will rate Mahomes, but if they WANT him they might be best off just taking him at 13. Either that or just wait and see what happens and maybe take Kaaya, Dobbs, or wait even longer and take Kelly. I have a feeling Kelly isn't an option, but I could be wrong. If the team is planning on trying for the USC kid next year we could be in for a heaping helping of Stanton in 2018 if Palmer hangs 'em up.

I believe though, if they like Mahomes they should just take him at 13. Don't screw it up and lose a chance to take a guy you believe has what it takes.

In replacing Fitz I loved what I've seen from Williams, but again, he could very well be gone at 13. I've been thinking of it in terms of getting a slot, possession type receiver and like the JuJu option later, but that's coming from a guy that watches very little college ball.

Going back to QB, I'm understanding Kaaya has the accuracy down pat, but needs a clean pocket as he isn't a scrambler and needs to be able to set up to be accurate. If that's the direction we go we best have an awesome O line.

I want a QB who is primarily an accurate pocket passer, with a good TD\INT ratio like Kaaya, but who is at least capable of scrambling and not taking sack after sack for negative yardage and loss of down with risk of fumbles, unlike Kaaya. I don't want Kaaya.

I think with the news that Sidney Jones just injured his leg, maybe we could get a first round talent late, 4th round maybe? ( Of course Jaylon Smith only fell 1 round so...)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eft-leg-injury

Trade back in the first and take an ILB or a QB or a FS. Pick up a second round if possible.

In the 2nd, use those picks to cover the other 2 positions not addressed in the first.

The third round pick on Guard, we will have missed out on Lamp but maybe feeney, elfin , or Johnson.

Jones won't fall to the 4th round