Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 a wasted opportunity

Default 2016 a wasted opportunity

2016 was our all in season. I don't expect much from 2017 but it could turn out better then I think. I just feel the 2017 draft should be all about the future. So Qb or Wr maybe even a lineman from either side of the ball I think should be our 1st and second pick in whichever order. Well I should not forget that ILB is needed as well. We should be able to get someone very important for the future we have plenty of openings.

I feel the window closed in 2016 and it's all about the future now. I feel a few good choices over the next two drafts could put us back in to contention if we can land a Qb.
    Last edited by Redbirdfan62; 03-13-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    2016 was our all in season. I don't expect much from 2017 but it could turn out better then I think. I just feel the 2017 draft should be all about the future. So Qb or Wr maybe even a lineman from either side of the ball I think should be our 1st and second pick in whichever order.

I feel the window closed in 2016 and it's all about the future now. I feel a few good choices over the next two drafts could put us back in to contention if we can land a Qb.
    Keim, as a rule, drafts at positions of longer term need.

He fills holes in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Keim, as a rule, drafts at positions of longer term need.

He fills holes in FA.
    Agreed but I feel free agency will not be able to help us this season however next season it could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    Agreed but I feel free agency will not be able to help us this season however next season it could help.
    Well, stop trusting your feelings.

The second wave of FA is about to begin.

I think we have a chance at the play offs. Might even win the division, but we took too much of a hit on D to get to the super bowl. Any of those player on D is replaceable by them selves. Loosing all we did on D I think is just too much. Figure we are also loosing Minter that's 5 starters we have lost on D. Now down the road it might be better in a couple of years, but not this year.

I can see the OP's point, "if" you are driving the car with the rear view mirror.

JosEPh

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    I think we have a chance at the play offs. Might even win the division, but we took too much of a hit on D to get to the super bowl. Any of those player on D is replaceable by them selves. Loosing all we did on D I think is just too much. Figure we are also loosing Minter that's 5 starters we have lost on D. Now down the road it might be better in a couple of years, but not this year.
    Mediocre teams make the playoffs in the NFL every year. Most playoff teams are mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Mediocre teams make the playoffs in the NFL every year. Most playoff teams are mediocre.
    I have to ask you this question: Do you still pine after the Dynasty years of Football from back in the 60' and 70's?

JosEPh

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    I can see the OP's point, "if" you are driving the car with the rear view mirror.

JosEPh
    If you don't use the rear view mirror or any mirror for that matter, you might miss out on a hazard. The D has lost so much , do you think the 2016 team was a better team then we currently have ? Not saying this team won't be competitive but SB don't think it can happen this season where last year there was a hope it would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    I have to ask you this question: Do you still pine after the Dynasty years of Football from back in the 60' and 70's?

JosEPh
    I thought the playoffs and the continuity of teams put really top teams into the playoffs. When you look at a Dynasty like Pittsburgh, they had to go through the Raiders and the Cowboys to win a SB. What you really had was high quality teams in the playoffs every year and the winner was clearly the best team in the league.

Expansion has hurt the game. The rookie salary cap has hurt continuity and experience. The rules have created a farce on the field of play.

Interestingly we still have a dynasty team in the NFL in spite of the water downed product.

I would be very comfortable with the current NFL system if we had rules that were clear. Penalties for misconduct that impacted the players who committed them and not the team and results and about 6 to 8 less teams. I also don't like the current salary cap system combined with a rookie wage scale. It tends to water the product down by favoring low paid wage scale players with little experience over proven players. Again it's an attempt to even up organizations based on a system rather than the quality of their management. While it's not doing that it is watering down the overall product.