Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bloom off the rose?

I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone think a secondary reason so many of our defensive starters are leaving is, besides more money, also because they are not happy with Bettcher as DC? Just have to ask....and, yes, I know our D was statistically good in 2015 and 2016 and I also know we can't afford to pay everyone. But if players are in a place they love and have a good shot at winning (e.g. New England, for example), they take below market contracts to win.

Quote Originally Posted by 11andCounting View Post
    I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone think a secondary reason so many of our defensive starters are leaving is, besides more money, also because they are not happy with Bettcher as DC? Just have to ask....and, yes, I know our D was statistically good in 2015 and 2016 and I also know we can't afford to pay everyone. But if players are in a place they love and have a good shot at winning (e.g. New England, for example), they take below market contracts to win.
    No, I think it was money and Steve not wanting to overpay. Our offers to CC and Jefferson were well below what they got. Doesn't seem we saw Cooper as worth CB2 money, and I don't think we even pursued Swearinger or Minter. I'd only be worried if a player had said that or left for less or equal pay.

Google and read the thank you letter CC wrote, it's awesome and speaks well of what he thought of the Cardinals organization.

Back to the theme of the original post.

This year's initial FA period has been different across the League. Look at all the short year "prove it" deals already in place. Normally players are settling for those months in, not days in. Guaranteed money is fairly low across the board.
    No more Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by beach bird View Post
    Does it seem a little different this year with free agency or is it just about setting us up with more compensatory picks and not going crazy with the salary cap. After the way B.A. reacted and things that were said publicly about the players last year it just seems like the image of him has changed from the cool uncle you want to have a drink with to the crazy uncle that nobody wants to invite over. It used to be that the guys would gush about his coaching style and how much they loved him, but now it seems like it has worn thin and players are avoiding visits and getting out of town. I do like the idea of getting younger in areas with a strong draft but something just seems different with the established players and the lack of visits that are not happening. I wonder if word got around about how he handled adversity and it is affecting free agency.
    Just looking for different options or thoughts on this. Hope i'm wrong and the rest of the draft and are free agency picks up.

Go Cards!!
    The irony is this really is the all or nothing season a year late. If you sign these older players, you could be indicating you're all in with that small window of time. It's high risk/high reward.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 11andCounting View Post
    LOL....players take "below market contracts to win"

Outside of perhaps Brady (and I don't know the details if it's even true) name one NE player who took "below market value".

Players want to get paid. They will go to a stinkhole like Jacksonville (like I predicted Campbell would even the length of contract I got right) in order to make more money.

this is not a criticism of those players. If faced with possible injury and short careers you don't say no to millions of dollars more.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

Outside of perhaps Brady (and I don't know the details if it's even true) name one NE player who took "below market value".

Players want to get paid. They will go to a stinkhole like Jacksonville (like I predicted Campbell would even the length of contract I got right) in order to make more money.

this is not a criticism of those players. If faced with possible injury and short careers you don't say no to millions of dollars more.
    Both C Johnson and J Gresham last year turned down larger and longer contracts because they wanted to stay with AZ for what they and many others would be a shot at a Super Bowl run. That's not glorious NE, just longest losing streak, team in the desert AZ. It's not hard to then suppose some have done it for New England.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/14/11...malcolm-butler

nothing in that article has suggested the NE player actually signed for less.

Take Gronk. He signed an extension two years into his career which is not unusual at all. He got more money then his rookie contract would have gotten him and NE got more years added. Just because he wants more now means nothing.

Same with Butler. All the article said was he's underpaid and if he was being advised by Reavis he would sit out to demand more.

Hightower tried to leave but nobody was offering more.

Nothing here proving anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Both C Johnson and J Gresham last year turned down larger and longer contracts because they wanted to stay with AZ for what they and many others would be a shot at a Super Bowl run. That's not glorious NE, just longest losing streak, team in the desert AZ. It's not hard to then suppose some have done it for New England.
    I don't know if that's true or speculation.

It could be true for certain players at end of career maybe looking for a ring but in general players take the money and run.

I don't know if that's true or speculation.

It could be true for certain players at end of career maybe looking for a ring but in general players take the money and run.
    In general, you are correct.