Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am i the only one?

suddenly no one is "worried".

Before CC and Jefferson left we had a lot of fans convinced these guys were staying "for a super bowl run" or "a reasonable contract".

It was never going to happen. These guys got PAID.

It happens but this year has happened more to the Cards and it will have an effect clearly. But there was no way you wanted to overpay these guys it would kill you down the road.

Fans like Crazy canuck and VW don't get that part of it.
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

Before CC and Jefferson left we had a lot of fans convinced these guys were staying "for a super bowl run" or "a reasonable contract".

It happens but this year has happened more to the Cards and it will have an effect clearly. But there was no way you wanted to overpay these guys it would kill you down the road.

They pretend to know football and throw out stats ignoring the only stat that counts in the end is your record (A bunch of "IF" guys). You are what your record says you are. They have some blind homerism going on and think the players leaving should be loyal fans of the Cardinals organization. They think a home town discount is a few million when in reality a home town discount is a few hundred thousand at most. They don't understand that each individual player is a business and conduct themselves accordingly. They lack the vision to see that Jacksonville is up and coming and is much like the Raiders 2 years ago. The right man is in charge in Jacksonville. And one is a Skins fan

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    The only thing I'm worried about is....that's 4 guys we lost from our starting defensive unit. Probably going to loose Minter also, so now that's 5 starters we have lost on D. Three of those guys were key cogs on D. CC, Jefferson, and Sweringer. MInter was servicable as was Cooper. Both those guys could have been up graded, but the Cards could have got along just fine with them still as starters. That's a lot of starters to loose from 1 unit, and we really don't know who or how good the back up will be.
    CC, to my mind, is a real but understandable loss and we'll have to see how the committee of "D" lineman fill the void. He was first and foremost a premier run stuffer that forced double teams whether he lined up at end or inside. Mauro, Peters, Gunter, etc., have proven pretty solid against the run and there are other serviceable pieces. The X-factor is Nkemdiche. If he comes through, we'll hardly miss a beat on the "D" line.

Bethea, who is downgraded largely due to age, is a solid in the box SS and an adequate stop gap. Jefferson had a breakout year, so we lose a bit if that's what he carries forward for his new employers. Much the same can be said about Dansby; age not quality of play is the fixation of some. His numbers show that he can still do the job and we can hope that his role will have a similar effect on BUC as it once had on Dwash.

Swearinger's FS, SS versatility will be missed, no doubt.

I'd expect that FA will deliver a erstwhile replacement for Cooper.

No reason to believe that Jarvis Jones can't offer as much production as Okafor.

From what I've read, it seems that this is a good "D" draft, so I'd expect some additions come April.

So, for one, I'm not tense about this fairly natural churning of the roster.

No doubt, as you are such a fine purveyor of truth, you'll recycle my posts showing that I suggested overpaying either of these two. I thought the Bennett deal (3 yrs - $30m) was in the range for CC and the Cards final offer (3 years, $34m, $17m guaranteed) shows that the people who actually have skin in this game were in general agreement. I had no real opinion on what to do with Jefferson beyond hopefully keeping him. I saw Swearinger as a good fall back but for reasons unknown, they decided to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    They pretend to know football and throw out stats ignoring the only stat that counts in the end is your record (A bunch of "IF" guys). You are what your record says you are. They have some blind homerism going on and think the players leaving should be loyal fans of the Cardinals organization. They think a home town discount is a few million when in reality a home town discount is a few hundred thousand at most. They don't understand that each individual player is a business and conduct themselves accordingly. They lack the vision to see that Jacksonville is up and coming and is much like the Raiders 2 years ago. The right man is in charge in Jacksonville. And one is a Skins fan
    Jacksonvilles record 3&13. You are what your record says you are.

CC didn't sign with Jacks because they are an up and coming team. He signed with them for max money in a State with no income tax.
    He chose Jacksonville without talking to management. He signed the biggest offer he got. If the organization had anything to do with it he would be a Bronco.

Up and coming organization. They are a dysfunctional crappy organization until their record says they aren't.
    Last edited by Biggs; 03-15-2017 at 09:32 AM.

What effect? It's hard to believe we can be anymore mediocre than we were last year. This team was out of contention early and padded the stats late. Our division was awful and we faced Wilson once when he was clearly incapable of moving. We have a decent draft, get a decent No. 2 CB and Mathieu comes back our D could be better. Getting rid of Floyd should help our O. How many first downs were left on the field early in the season by that **** pile? If both Browns are healthy and the OL comes back healthy we are a much better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    The only thing I'm worried about is....that's 4 guys we lost from our starting defensive unit. Probably going to loose Minter also, so now that's 5 starters we have lost on D. Three of those guys were key cogs on D. CC, Jefferson, and Sweringer. MInter was servicable as was Cooper. Both those guys could have been up graded, but the Cards could have got along just fine with them still as starters. That's a lot of starters to loose from 1 unit, and we really don't know who or how good the back up will be.
    Yep Minter's gone, but Dansby's in. So that doesn't bother me one bit. I don't like losing both Jefferson and Swearinger, but it happens. Can't stop guys like Campbell from taking premium money from lousy teams, plus the weather is good in Jacksonville so it makes more sense than heading off to a winter hellhole like Cleveland. As the saying goes, one door closes another door opens.

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion.

Im not real thrilled with how its gone. But I guess there are reasons. I liked Swearinger, but I guess theres a reason he's not on the team, and I think everyone has figured it out. Oh well. Jefferson? Meh. Woulda been nice to keep him, but I think he's easily replaced. CC? Now that one bums me out. I woulda liked to see him play his entire career right here, But I think there were other things going on other than him getting a payday. Did you hear anything about him being in talks with the Cards and not being able to come to an agreement? I didn't. But every season that BA has been here he's singled him out to complain about. Sadly, I don't think BA liked the guy. I think his leaving was in the cards. (ugh)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac Card View Post
    Did you hear anything about him being in talks with the Cards and not being able to come to an agreement? I didn't.
    Yes.

The offer was 3/$33.5M (very similar to Michael Bennett deal.)

Campbell chose the money, which is his right.

Here is a quick article talking about Campbell and his decision. Looks like Broncos were pushing late to try and get him to sign with them... Campbell claims he didnt sign for money, but Im sure a team that just signed you to a bunch of money doesnt want to hear you saying "Yeah this team sucks but hey, money money money!". So its expected for him to talk up the Jags. Which is fine, you only have so long in the NFL, getting paid is nothing to be ashamed of.

Calais Campbell: I felt I could add more value to Jaguars
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ue-to-jaguars/