Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chandler Jones vs Hightower contract numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    When was the last time the Pats or Steelers had a loosing year ? A year when they didn't loose there starting Qb for a period of time. We had a loosing record last year and our QWB played the whole year. Pats and Steelers always draft better than the Cards. It's a proven fact.
    Looking forward to your detailed support of 'it's a proven fact' over the past 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by azpcbman View Post
    Looks like the cards got fleeced compared to the Patriots contract numbers for Hightower. Hard to think Jones is worth DOUBLE what Hightower received. These outrageous contracts are what is holding the Cards captive from spreading the wealth around the team rather than concentrated on a few positions only. The poor drafting by Keim and co. is crippling the teams ability to remain competitive and able to let greedy money grabbers search greener pastures elsewhere. They seem incapable of loading up through the draft the way the good teams like steelers and patriots. The cards are starting to look like the team of old days in Sun Devil stadium under daddy Bidwill, by paying a few players big money and patching together the rest of the team.
    Palmer and Fitz are not the entire team and the talk of a "window of opportunity" for a super bowl run can only happen before these two retire is pathetic. Palmer is not worth $24M this year or any year, he is not an elite QB. Bengals and Raiders would not have let him go if he was so good. I like Fitz, too bad he doesn't have the heart for football like Tom Brady. Threatening retirement at such a young age with so much left in the tank really unfortunate. Too bad Fitz would not restructure his contract and extend for another year or two to help the team and the fans.
    Hopefully the Cards have a home run draft and turn the sinking ship around but their draft history coupled with terrible free agency suggests the boat will keep sinking.
    I remain optimistic that Palmer can put together an elite QB season and Keim wins the draft. The writing is on the wall though. I have seen this movie so many times.
    I hope I am wrong this time.
    Lets look at this a little differently.... First they play two different positions.
    Chandler Jones is an OLB
    Hightower is an ILB.

So jump on my magic bus as we travel around the NFL universe. Next stop. Overthecap! chooo chooo. (yes my bus has one of those fancy train horns)

OLB largest contracts
    Von Miller 114.5 Million 6 years
    Justin Houston 101 million (this was a mistake!) 6 years
    Chandler Jones 82.5 Million

Now lets go inside!
    Luke Keuchly 61.8 million
    Brian Cushing 52 million
    Bobby Wagner 43 million

So the two just cant be compared. If you wanted to compare the contract given to Chandler, it'd be best to compare him to either Von Miller or Justin Houston. Justin Houston tore his ACL, and is 2 years older. I can already see a value problem here. Justin Houston has 4 seasons with 10 sacks or less, and seasons with 10.5+. Very inconsistent.

I'd say we got fair market value for Chandler Jones. But it's not fair to compare him to someone at a different position. It'd be like comparing a WR contract to a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Lets look at this a little differently.... First they play two different positions.
    Chandler Jones is an OLB
    Hightower is an ILB.

So jump on my magic bus as we travel around the NFL universe. Next stop. Overthecap! chooo chooo. (yes my bus has one of those fancy train horns)

OLB largest contracts
    Von Miller 114.5 Million 6 years
    Justin Houston 101 million (this was a mistake!) 6 years
    Chandler Jones 82.5 Million

Now lets go inside!
    Luke Keuchly 61.8 million
    Brian Cushing 52 million
    Bobby Wagner 43 million

So the two just cant be compared. If you wanted to compare the contract given to Chandler, it'd be best to compare him to either Von Miller or Justin Houston. Justin Houston tore his ACL, and is 2 years older. I can already see a value problem here. Justin Houston has 4 seasons with 10 sacks or less, and seasons with 10.5+. Very inconsistent.

I'd say we got fair market value for Chandler Jones. But it's not fair to compare him to someone at a different position. It'd be like comparing a WR contract to a RB.

Right. Now one has to wonder about how things play out with Golden.

Quote Originally Posted by azpcbman View Post
    Steelers and Patriots usually pick late in the draft and always seem to stay there year in and year out. They always seem to have an abundance of talented players at each position ready to step in and replace whoever is lost in the offseason.

If Keim's draft pics have been so good why are the Cards picking at 13 this year and have so many holes to fill?
    Injuries to starting players in the last year of the core of the team making a run for a SB. That's why we sucked last year among other issues. It wasn't Keim's drafts that killed us it was injuries and everyone discounts that BA was sick last year. It impacted the staff and the players. He was coach of the year for a reason.

The Pats and Steelers have a better owner, better coaches and both teams have outright elite QB's who are miles better than Palmer. That doesn't mean we don't have a good staff. We have an above average staff and they have done a good job building the current team with a QB who was washing out of the league a few years ago.