Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Next Years Cap??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,855

    Default Next Years Cap??

    I keep reading on this board how next year is going to be crazy. I get that, if Fitz and CP are gone. (Still hoping Fitz comes back, but that is personal).

    I suck at understanding the salary cap and how it all works. Can one of you out there give us an idea of what we will be at next year if both leave? Also anyone have the breakdown on FA we have next year? I know (hopefully, because I am just as good at understanding Comp picks) that we should have a lot of picks in the draft next year. With a lot of money to spend and a lot of draft picks that are now tradeable we might be looking at a whole new look team in 2018.

    I know a lot of you guys are on top of this kind of thing, so just curious.
    CP3 in AZ baby!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    556

    Default

    If next years cap goes up by 10-11 million, and Palmer retires we will owe him 6.25m, and Fitz 4.85m. We will roll over any unspent cap this year. Washington won't count against the cap since he is suspended but Ill throw that money towards the rookie pool and an IR designation or two to replace the players.

    Lets say we roll 10 million forward. Plus the cap savings from Palmers retirement of 14 million. We'd be looking at having around 82-83 million in cap space (They haven't removed Bethels salary yet)

    Our FA's would be:
    John Wetzel
    Deone Bucannon
    Drew Stanton
    Niklas
    John Brown
    Corey Peters
    Ed Stinson
    Kareem Martin

    Which only Bucannon can really demand much money out of that at this point. We'd have 82 million or so to address our own UFA's. To manage any extensions, and of course to find any UFA's off other teams we would be in need of.
    We are actually looking really good after this season in that sense, that is barring the QBoTF position.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Not saying I want him, but we'd be in a very strong position to outbid everybody for Kirk Cousins.

    I wouldnt be surprised if we did.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    If next years cap goes up by 10-11 million, and Palmer retires we will owe him 6.25m, and Fitz 4.85m. We will roll over any unspent cap this year. Washington won't count against the cap since he is suspended but Ill throw that money towards the rookie pool and an IR designation or two to replace the players.

    Lets say we roll 10 million forward. Plus the cap savings from Palmers retirement of 14 million. We'd be looking at having around 82-83 million in cap space (They haven't removed Bethels salary yet)

    Our FA's would be:
    John Wetzel
    Deone Bucannon
    Drew Stanton
    Niklas
    John Brown
    Corey Peters
    Ed Stinson
    Kareem Martin

    Which only Bucannon can really demand much money out of that at this point. We'd have 82 million or so to address our own UFA's. To manage any extensions, and of course to find any UFA's off other teams we would be in need of.
    We are actually looking really good after this season in that sense, that is barring the QBoTF position.
    Bucannon's 5th year option will be picked up.

    The next contracts are Bucannon and David Johnson, after the 2018 season.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Bucannon's 5th year option will be picked up.

    The next contracts are Bucannon and David Johnson, after the 2018 season.
    They don't have to be addressed till 2018, but we could see the Cards be proactive and give extensions early.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,128

    Default

    While we will likely be free from the contracts of Palmer and Fitz, with lots of cap money and draft picks, it's important to look at what the personnel will look like and where that money will have to go. We will have some gaping holes to fill, QBOF being number one. If we can find a real rookie QBOF, it changes everything.

    We only have around 30 guys under contract for 2018, and many of those are bottom of the roster types. You have to look at the core to build around.

    QB: Biggest need
    WR: Nelson is the only current starter under contract. If Brown/Brown play well I'd imagine they can be retained reasonably, but we have a huge hole with the loss of Fitz and Floyd (if Fitz doesn't decide to keep at it).
    RB: set with DJ and can fill in rest. Penny will still be under contract and I hope he looks good this year.
    TE: Gresham only one signed
    Oline: Beldheer, Iupati, Humphries, Toner, Shipley, Boehm all under contract gives us some consistency. My hope is Boehm proves himself as our starting C and Humphries kills it as LT. Need a RG!
    DLine/OLB: jones, Golden, Nkemdiche, Gunter, Mauro all under contract provides a good young corps.
    ILB: DBuc will be fifth year optioned, but we need more. Dansby not a long term solution
    S: Badger and Bethea under contract, see where Miller fits in, but will need to address esp given Bethea's age.
    CB: PP21 and let's see if B Williams can develop by then into an NFL CB. Need to address CB2 this year so that should provide 3 guys signed for 2018.
    K: Dawson under contract but replaceable w/o much dead money.

    We have a good young core of players for 2018...NEED THE QB ANSWER! Then need RG, WRs, ILB, Dlinemen, CBs, S...lots to fill and upgrade but will have money to do some exciting things. This year's draft will address some of these holes without using much 2018 cap, and remaining FA this year should fill some holes (RG and CB I hope).

    All I know is the 2018 team will look a lot different than 2016-17's team.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil1999 View Post
    They don't have to be addressed till 2018, but we could see the Cards be proactive and give extensions early.
    DBuc I could see but he wouldn't be too expensive as an ILB or S. Too early to do DJohnson...risk of RB big contracts so why do it early when you have him so cheap? He may want to lock down a reasonable contract though, for the same reasons. That knee injury and a new family could scare him into locking some money down.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    DBuc I could see but he wouldn't be too expensive as an ILB or S. Too early to do DJohnson...risk of RB big contracts so why do it early when you have him so cheap? He may want to lock down a reasonable contract though, for the same reasons. That knee injury and a new family could scare him into locking some money down.
    My cold calculation on DJ is Franchise him twice.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    My cold calculation on DJ is Franchise him twice.
    And with the way RB contracts are going, that would also likely be a cheap option.

    Would not be a surprise if the average of the top-5 RB by 2018 is "only" somewhere around the $8M/year range.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,855

    Default

    Thanks guys, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

    P.S Looks like Claiborne and Carr are gone.
    CP3 in AZ baby!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •