Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LeGarrette Blount

Default LeGarrette Blount

With the choices remaining in free agency, the upcoming draft, and a view of our team needs I'm not seeing much in terms of upgrades or depth...vets who can help us for cheap. The guys at positions of obvious need like RG or CB aren't that exciting.

There is a guy still available who I think could be a sneaky big part of success on our team that I mentioned on this board at the very beginning of free agency and that's Blount.

For years I've said we should get a true, hard nosed between the tackles short yardage RB. Mean, big and strong and able to consistently gring out tough yards.

DJ was #7 in rushing yards in the NFL last year, used in all sorts of ways. Blount was #8, used in a very traditional way in obvious running downs up the middle and on the goal line. DJ had 16 running TDs and Blount 18. Similar amount of carries. DJ fumbled 6 times and Blount fumbled twice. DJ is a nice kid and Blount is a mean man. DJ has far more yards per carry but I believe Blount's pedestrian 3.9 yards per carry are representative of how he was used between the tackles. But he can bust for long runs too...he had more 20+ yard carries than DJ believe it or not! DJ gets long runs by making them miss and speed, Blount by bowling guys over and carrying tacklers on his back.

I don't think there would be a better guy used situationally to keep David fresh, protect him from the type of injuries that occur between the tackles, capable on short yardage and goal line situations, and perfect to plug in with fresh legs to hold a late lead and drain the clock and lower David's annual carries, keeping him fresher forma hopeful playoff run.

And he would bring a mean streak to our run game. And he can block and put hits on guys.

Ellington and Williams don't do this. Penny is not this. With RBs not getting much of anything this year...AP and other "stars" still out there coming to grips with their low perceived values...I think Blount could be had for cheap. Yes there are always RBs in the draft, but why use a valuable pick on an unknown when you could pick up a guy who had over 1100 yards and 18 TDs and several Super Bowl rings for cheap?

Blount's on-field stat sheet speaks for itself. He gets the job done.

Everyone also knows that Blount is not bashful about mixing football and politics, at least recently.

I don't see a Cards roster spot happening for this RB at this time.

just draft a big guy in the middle to late rounds, plenty of capable RBs in this year's draft

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    just draft a big guy in the middle to late rounds, plenty of capable RBs in this year's draft
    Name 2 or 3 LeGarrette Bounts in the draft spots you're thinking, and why those wouldn't be better spent on a deep WR and CB and Dlinemen in a deep draft for those. Those are the types of players who provide value in rookie deals.

And then of course none of them will be NFL proven at 1100 yards and 18 TDs with a Super Bowl experience and ring as recently as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Blount's on-field stat sheet speaks for itself. He gets the job done.

Everyone also knows that Blount is not bashful about mixing football and politics, at least recently.

I don't see a Cards roster spot happening for this RB at this time.
    Passing on a visit to the White House by Blount is no reason to pass on him as a player IMO...that goes if he had passed on an Obama or Trump White House. Do you have a non-political reason for not having a roster spot? Our roster is not deep at RB simply because we have four RBs. Honest question.

With having David Johnson as the premier back in his prime, I don't see Blount getting signed by the Cards. Johnson has shown he can carry the load but of course a draft pick in late rounds would make sense to provide some touches to spell DJ. Pumphrey, Conner look like good late round picks around the 5th, 6th round.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogsCards View Post
    With having David Johnson as the premier back in his prime, I don't see Blount getting signed by the Cards. Johnson has shown he can carry the load but of course a draft pick in late rounds would make sense to provide some touches to spell DJ. Pumphrey, Conner look like good late round picks around the 5th, 6th round.
    Of course DJ can carry the load but that knee injury last year made me all the more not want to be in a situation where he NEEDS to carry the load.

I love Pumphries but not at all in the role I described in the post. If we are truly using Ellington as a WR, I wouldn't mind 5'8" Pumphries as a RB weapon. Not comparable to what 6' 260 lb big mean Blount could do.

The Pitt kid is more what I was thinking and has a good story beating cancer, but is also a guy off an ACL and not nearly as proven as Blount. And again, I'd like to see the draft used for players that hold value, and 5th-7th round RBs don't tend to do that. Blount would be for bang for the buck 2017 impact and nothing more.

Resign Chris Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by LuisRoc View Post
    Resign Chris Johnson
    Older, 2 year injury history, 50 lbs lighter and game based on speed which at 31 after two injury years I'd worry about. Again, not a Blount type, between the tackles player.

If you guys think we need more poor mans DJ's that's fine. I'm talking about my opinion we could use a between the tackles traditional beast ball carrier to use situationally and to hold leads and drain clock without risking DJ.

Anyone have opinions on 1) The benefit of such a RB in 2017 and 2) if yes, which FA or draft pick rookie?

We need a back up RB that will also be a special teams ace. I like LB and he would be great to pound the football, but I don't see it happening. I would like to see us draft a backup and get penny more reps to see what he can do.