Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LeGarrette Blount

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac Card View Post
    He's to big. Doesn't fit the system.
    The system calls for a smaller speedy RB going straight up the middle. DJ is actually to big for the system, but I think nobody expected him to become the superstar he is or they wouldn't have drafted him.
    Then why did they put E. Penney on the roster, who is an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier than Johnson?

People need to realize a system isn't built for just on RB size or style. In today's NFL there are very few "bell cows", and even where there are situations arise for other RB uses.

Reality is we have DJ as our main weapon, used in all sorts of ways. He's most effective using his vision and cutting ability followed by his toughness to bring down. Then his ability to go outside and be used as a WR. There is no RB in the NFL today as a WR. He's ok at blocking...in a "he can do it when asked" sort of way. He's been a surprise at being able to go between the tackles, but he's no L. Bell there.

DJ is 6'1" 225 and Penney is DJ Jr, at 6'-2" 235, also with a good first cut and good as a receiver. Penney is our poor man's DJ and I don't see a reason to draft another.

Williams is 5'-8" and under 200 lbs. He's the little fast guy you mention and we aren't seeing him used between the tackles. We are seeing him used around the edges, like Ellington always did best. BA tried to have Ellington be a quick, fast guy and he didn't work our between the tackles. I to this day don't understand why he thought he could be a 3 down back used every which way like that. Ruined him, made him gun shy. Anyway, Ellington and Williams are our little, speed guys to be used situationally. Pumphries, whomsomeone mentioned earlier, could be an Ellington or Williams upgrade.

What we don't have and what I've argued for the entire BASK era is a true brick house, up the middle, nasty bulldozer. Lower to the ground and bigger and stronger than DJ or Penney. Not a WR at all. Just give him the ball and he won't fumble and he'll go N-S and get yardage and burn clock and wear on defenses. That would be 6', 250 lbs of low muscle Blount. We did go after this type of RB for BAs system once, forget his name, but he promptly got in a domestic dispute and was kicked off the team. Back in the Mendenhall years.

There is always a place in the system for this type of RB. Because there are always 3rd and shorts. There are always 2nd and goal from the 1 or 2's. There are always leads to hold and clock to kill. And a fresh legged Blount is perfect for these situations. And it would help protect DJ from injury and overuse, extending his career, as well as provide a seasoned capable proven backup should disaster strike and DJ go down.

DH,

I think the guy you are referencing was former Steeler / Cardinal RB Jonathan Dwyer. A few years back, Dwyer had some decent RB skills and also an anger management issue. He got nailed with DV and was immediately cut by the Cardinals. This was right about the time of the DWash / Rice events too. I think Dwyer is out of pro football now.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/police-c...ad-butted-wife

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    DH,

I think the guy you are referencing was former Steeler / Cardinal RB Jonathan Dwyer. A few years back, Dwyer had some decent RB skills and also an anger management issue. He got nailed with DV and was immediately cut by the Cardinals. This was right about the time of the DWash / Rice events too. I think Dwyer is out of pro football now.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/police-c...ad-butted-wife
    Yep that was him. Thanks!

Old school use of a bull-dozer RB was to control the clock, move the chains, protect a lead.

BA's preferred method of ball control is via the pass, not the run. As Dry Heat pointed out earlier in this thread, Cards under BA have lost some games because they didn't go to a run-oriented ball control tactic and instead kept throwing the ball. That method is a disaster when you misfire and stop the clock and then turn the ball over with time remaining. Three running plays---even if they don't get that first down, keep the clock running and force the opposing team to burn time outs.

My guess is that BA would rather live-and-die by the passing game and not carry that extra RB who would be the designated bowling ball on ball possession plays. BA doesn't carry a true FB and has minimal use of a bulldozer RB. Stephen Taylor has filled that spot but is also vital on special teams. Proof is in his roster construction---BA doesn't believe in that role and that type of guy is not a high priority on the roster.

(Agree that AE was misused and abused early in his career by banging him into the line---too small, fragile. His talent is his quickness and ability juke past defenders---something tough to accomplish with the big dinosaurs crowding the line of scrimmage. Like to see AE revive his career by succeeding as a WR. We need more bodies and AE has shown he has decent hands and quicks off the line.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Passing on a visit to the White House by Blount is no reason to pass on him as a player IMO...that goes if he had passed on an Obama or Trump White House. Do you have a non-political reason for not having a roster spot? Our roster is not deep at RB simply because we have four RBs. Honest question.
    Agree, lots of players in many sports do not make the winner's pilgrimage to the WH and I don't hold that against any of them for making the choice. My concern about Blount is his weight. Same goes for Lacy and his off-season bloat habit.

Of course DJ can carry the load but that knee injury last year made me all the more not want to be in a situation where he NEEDS to carry the load.

I love Pumphries but not at all in the role I described in the post. If we are truly using Ellington as a WR, I wouldn't mind 5'8" Pumphries as a RB weapon. Not comparable to what 6' 260 lb big mean Blount could do.

The Pitt kid is more what I was thinking and has a good story beating cancer, but is also a guy off an ACL and not nearly as proven as Blount. And again, I'd like to see the draft used for players that hold value, and 5th-7th round RBs don't tend to do that. Blount would be for bang for the buck 2017 impact and nothing more.
    Good points, makes too much sense. But at what cost. Drafting makes more sense because the cap would get hit too hard by signing Blunt and there are pending issues like cb and G.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogsCards View Post
    Good points, makes too much sense. But at what cost. Drafting makes more sense because the cap would get hit too hard by signing Blunt and there are pending issues like cb and G.
    A FA G or especially CB hits the cap harder than a FA RB. I'm looking for impact players with FA dollars, then suggesting cheap draft picks bemused year after year on high dollar positions. So many people seem to say "RBs are cheap and disposable and there are plenty in the draft". Well, this is what makes them cheap as free agents and not worth using valuable draft picks on, as the draft is currently about the only place in today's NFL you can potentially lock up a stud or starting QB, LT, OLB, CB or WR for a few million dollars.

A FA G or especially CB hits the cap harder than a FA RB. I'm looking for impact players with FA dollars, then suggesting cheap draft picks bemused year after year on high dollar positions. So many people seem to say "RBs are cheap and disposable and there are plenty in the draft". Well, this is what makes them cheap as free agents and not worth using valuable draft picks on, as the draft is currently about the only place in today's NFL you can potentially lock up a stud or starting QB, LT, OLB, CB or WR for a few million dollars.
    Good points. Gotta protect the quarterback and rbs first before Blount does anything. I expect that Keim has made some of these moves to get more cap space to make one of those big moves to get a competent guard to protect Carson Palmer.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogsCards View Post
    Good points. Gotta protect the quarterback and rbs first before Blount does anything. I expect that Keim has made some of these moves to get more cap space to make one of those big moves to get a competent guard to protect Carson Palmer.
    I believe the two top guards are still out there. Warford and Zietler.

The longer FA goes the better chance you have of getting them at a more reasonable cost.

I would think the addition of one of those guys would really solidify our line.
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    I believe the two top guards are still out there. Warford and Zietler.

The longer FA goes the better chance you have of getting them at a more reasonable cost.

I would think the addition of one of those guys would really solidify our line.
    Zietler is now a Brown and the highest paid guard in the NFL. Warford is a Saint. Not much left in the guard or cornerback market, which is where I expected our cap money to go.

I still wish we'd get news of Mangold coming in for a visit, to take the C position and lead/mentor Boehm into it. Let Boehm try out as a guard next to him. Or maybe Nick could transition to guard and Boehm at center, with Nick in the huddle teaching alongside him.
    Last edited by Dry Heat; 03-20-2017 at 08:22 PM.