Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Palmer be back in 2018?

Default Will Palmer be back in 2018?

If our o-line keeps him healthy in 2017 then he will definitely come back in 2018. We definitely will need to draft a qb though because if Palmer returns for 2018, I predict he will have a year similar to Peyton manning last year, where you can just clearly see regression. It won't be until week 9 when Arians makes the qb change and the rookie qb will be ready!!lol. I dreamt that last night, only I was the rookie qb!lol

Not if we have another season like last year and even if we make the playoffs it would be questionable. I think he needs to see a big uptick in our special teams play and a lot more focus in the locker room than we had last year to even consider coming back.

I assume he doesn't need the money and his main concern would be to leave the game with his mind and body intact which at his age becomes more difficult.

Obviously winning a championship makes it a forgone conclusion he will retire......let's hope for that scenario in which case I will happily walk wave at him as he rides off into the sunset.
    Last edited by boomer719; 05-16-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Yes Palmer's 38 this year. Last year he started his age related decline. Still played well at times and clearly our best option.

The only thing that will save Palmer this year is david Johnson. Lots of david Johnson. Will keep the pass rush at bay and D in the box which should help him and Larry put up some big numbers.

What will be really interesting for me will be the longer passes. Last year he was near the bottom of the league. It was a vigorous debate on here as to why but that's something to keep your eye on.
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Yes Palmer's 38 this year. Last year he started his age related decline. Still played well at times and clearly our best option.

The only thing that will save Palmer this year is david Johnson. Lots of david Johnson. Will keep the pass rush at bay and D in the box which should help him and Larry put up some big numbers.

What will be really interesting for me will be the longer passes. Last year he was near the bottom of the league. It was a vigorous debate on here as to why but that's something to keep your eye on.
    I have some difficulty with the idea of an age related decline in performance connected to a QB that regularly overthrows a long range target.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    I have some difficulty with the idea of an age related decline in performance connected to a QB that regularly overthrows a long range target.
    He may be using his body more then in the past, hence the inaccuracy. But what I noticed was the ball was all over the place. It was short, sideways and sometimes long.

I don't know why people have such a hard time grasping that not many QB's do well after the mid thirties. The body declines. It's science.
    season ticket holder

He may be using his body more then in the past, hence the inaccuracy. But what I noticed was the ball was all over the place. It was short, sideways and sometimes long.

I don't know why people have such a hard time grasping that not many QB's do well after the mid thirties. The body declines. It's science.
    Actually there is little to see in his body decline related to his ability to throw the long pass. The things that decline first are very subtle, reflexes and reaction. Palmer's biggest problem that may be related to age is his inability to pull the trigger because he is seeing the openings a little late and isn't comfortable. Palmer continually pulls the ball down and gets out of rhythm. I think that with today's training you can keep your base and body in shape well into your 40's. What you can't condition is reflexes , eyesight and overall balance and coordination. They go and in an elite athlete it doesn't take much to go from great to bench.

Palmer when he is in rhythm and set has no issue throwing the NFL tree including the deep ball.

Believe me, I'm real aware of age related decline. Lol. My memory just seems to include more pictures of Palmer overthrowing receivers on the deep routes.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

In 2016, with an epically beat up Oline, no John or Jaron Brown, and a drunken Floyd Palmer had his third best QBR in the last 10 years. He had the third most number of yards thrown for, short of his second best by only 41 yards and his second best TD/INT ratio of the last 10 years. He even had his third highest number of rushing yards of the last 10 years.

His 2015 season was the outlier, far above his normal production but a glimpse of what it can be with time in the pocket and weapons. Hopefully the Oline is more solid and healthy this year. I'm a bit concerned at RG and with swapping our tackles, and still not convinced we have C nailed yet. The weapons look to be good. Both Browns back healthy plus the Williams kid and Ellington at WR should help.

Age catches all of us, but I don't see Palmer being caught yet based on the numbers and I think his pocket passing style will extend his career. We need to limit the hits he took last year. Keep him upright and he could play at age 37 (which he is now until Dec) and 38. Brady says he plans to play to 45.

LAST SEASON the entire team played like garbage for the most part, with a few exceptions. Part of the team that was garbage was the Oline. So that affects the QBs performance. I think Palmer would have looked much better if the Oline had looked better. We will know for sure how Palmers performance in relation to his age stacks up if we improve the Oline like we need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    In 2016, with an epically beat up Oline, no John or Jaron Brown, and a drunken Floyd Palmer had his third best QBR in the last 10 years. He had the third most number of yards thrown for, short of his second best by only 41 yards and his second best TD/INT ratio of the last 10 years. He even had his third highest number of rushing yards of the last 10 years.

His 2015 season was the outlier, far above his normal production but a glimpse of what it can be with time in the pocket and weapons. Hopefully the Oline is more solid and healthy this year. I'm a bit concerned at RG and with swapping our tackles, and still not convinced we have C nailed yet. The weapons look to be good. Both Browns back healthy plus the Williams kid and Ellington at WR should help.

Age catches all of us, but I don't see Palmer being caught yet based on the numbers and I think his pocket passing style will extend his career. We need to limit the hits he took last year. Keep him upright and he could play at age 37 (which he is now until Dec) and 38. Brady says he plans to play to 45.

40+ sacks
    120+ hits