Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the BA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post

I seriously doubt Arians retires after this season. The only reason I could see that happening would be if they won the SB. If that were to happen I could more easily see Fitz and Palmer calling it good as well.

I don't see any of the 3 doing a Brett Favre imitation either, retiring and then unretiring perennially.

One thing bugs me a lot though, is how the 3 of them would be if they LOST the SB. Obviously that would tear them ALL up, and us too, but I think it could devastate Larry. It makes me wonder about even losing another NFCCG.

BA's health concerns have been sited, but he has seemed to be in good health lately and he has Moore to look at if he ever gets to feeling old. I seriously think BA will stay at his position until he either wins a SB as a HC or they decide to get rid of him, which I don't really see happening. I don't think Christine would attempt to stand in his way either. Unless it was a serious health thing.

We're goin' for the gusto again this season, but if we get derailed again over whatever, and miss the playoffs or have some fluky injuries, I have a feeling they'd all 3 likely play again in 2018.
    Do you see any chance Arians retires to avoid getting fired? Look at the numbers. If the Cardinals go 8-8 Arians will after five years have a record of 49-30-1 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs including an NFC Championship Game disaster where his team was so ill-prepared it defies description (sorry I had to go there but I think it matters). After five years Whis was 40-40 in the regular season, but 4-2 in the playoffs. Whis then capped off his time with the 4-12 disaster in 2012 to get to 44-52 in the regular season for his six years.

So on the surface it's an easy call, right? Arians is the MAN! Well, not necessarily. The trend would be negative, i.e. two stinkers in a row. No real playoff success. And, most importantly, it wasn't a level playing field with Arians and Whis. Arians demanded and got an army of assistants that Whis never had. Arians demanded and got better facilities that Whis never had. Arians got a GM who has the green light to constantly upgrade the roster, Whis had a yes man named Graves who had no discernible talent above front office hack.

Anyway, it's just offseason bubble gum to chew on, but if Arians blows hard and delivers another stack of brown smelly stuff I think it's well within the realm of possibility that Arians hangs it up. I think Mike Bidwill would rather swallow ground glass than actually fire Arians, but who knows. Another stinker and I think a lot of the fans will be over Arians just like they were over Whis.

Please note that none of the above should be construed as an endorsement of Whis over Arians. Just trying to make the point that Arians' seat should be ready to get warmed up if the results don't match the talk, particularly in the kicking game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    I dont understand this "BA is going to retire" notion. Why?

His health is fine. Same as Patrick and John and Dorian. They have it under control.

His age? Guy has been trying to become a HC for 60 years, you think hes going to retire after 5 as a HC? Pete Carrol is 65. He aint going anywhere. Tom Coughlin is 70, hes still working.

His wife isnt pestering him to retire. All she does is support him in interviews. You see her in All or Nothing? She clearly loves football.

And maybe bigger than anything, Bear Bryant, BAs idol. You know what Bear Bryant did? Coached for 37 years, retired in 1982 and died in 1983. People speculate because he didnt have anything to do anymore. I think BA recognizes that.

He aint going anywhere.
    BA has that big belly . He looks more like a guy who sits on his boat and drinks.

Last year he had chest pains, diverticulosis and a torn rotator cuff.

This is not in any way a comparable situation with a young guy like PP who had an undiagnosed issue.

BA is an old man who much like his QB is on the decline.
    Last edited by AriS.; 05-17-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Do you see any chance Arians retires to avoid getting fired? Look at the numbers. If the Cardinals go 8-8 Arians will after five years have a record of 49-30-1 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs including an NFC Championship Game disaster where his team was so ill-prepared it defies description (sorry I had to go there but I think it matters). After five years Whis was 40-40 in the regular season, but 4-2 in the playoffs. Whis then capped off his time with the 4-12 disaster in 2012 to get to 44-52 in the regular season for his six years.

So on the surface it's an easy call, right? Arians is the MAN! Well, not necessarily. The trend would be negative, i.e. two stinkers in a row. No real playoff success. And, most importantly, it wasn't a level playing field with Arians and Whis. Arians demanded and got an army of assistants that Whis never had. Arians demanded and got better facilities that Whis never had. Arians got a GM who has the green light to constantly upgrade the roster, Whis had a yes man named Graves who had no discernible talent above front office hack.

Anyway, it's just offseason bubble gum to chew on, but if Arians blows hard and delivers another stack of brown smelly stuff I think it's well within the realm of possibility that Arians hangs it up. I think Mike Bidwill would rather swallow ground glass than actually fire Arians, but who knows. Another stinker and I think a lot of the fans will be over Arians just like they were over Whis.

Please note that none of the above should be construed as an endorsement of Whis over Arians. Just trying to make the point that Arians' seat should be ready to get warmed up if the results don't match the talk, particularly in the kicking game.
    I suppose there's always a chance, but I'd be real surprised to see that happen. This is BA's first and likely his last HC gig. I could see him being a consultant later or something of that nature, maybe a role like Tom Moore has now, but the Arizona Cardinals is his last hurrah IMO.

There have been allegations/rumblings (from an unidentified source) that some team members grow weary of some of BA's tactics during the season.
    None of that is verified, but you know what I speak of, and there is a likelihood that there is some undercurrent due to that. I would be amazed if BA had absolutely no clue any of that was ever there.
    I have to wonder if he isn't a little more judicious with that this season, at least tempering it to some degree. There's always the possibility he totally ignores it and continues blaring into ears and microphones without regard, so time will tell.

I didn't mean to go off on a cowpath, but that whole thing concerns me a bit more than the idea he might HAVE to think about quitting to avoid being fired. When ALL of the contributing factors are weighed, Michael would be an idiot to challenge fate by doing something that irrational. (IMO)

7-8-1 is not a "stinker" for a Card fan since '88. I have serious doubts Keim and Michael B would consider starting all over again unless we see a REAL stinker....and it would probably take more than one of those.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

I suppose there's always a chance, but I'd be real surprised to see that happen. This is BA's first and likely his last HC gig. I could see him being a consultant later or something of that nature, maybe a role like Tom Moore has now, but the Arizona Cardinals is his last hurrah IMO.

There have been allegations/rumblings (from an unidentified source) that some team members grow weary of some of BA's tactics during the season.
    None of that is verified, but you know what I speak of, and there is a likelihood that there is some undercurrent due to that. I would be amazed if BA had absolutely no clue any of that was ever there.
    I have to wonder if he isn't a little more judicious with that this season, at least tempering it to some degree. There's always the possibility he totally ignores it and continues blaring into ears and microphones without regard, so time will tell.

I didn't mean to go off on a cowpath, but that whole thing concerns me a bit more than the idea he might HAVE to think about quitting to avoid being fired. When ALL of the contributing factors are weighed, Michael would be an idiot to challenge fate by doing something that irrational. (IMO)

7-8-1 is not a "stinker" for a Card fan since '88. I have serious doubts Keim and Michael B would consider starting all over again unless we see a REAL stinker....and it would probably take more than one of those.
    Relative to the expectations set by Arians himself, it's a huge stinker and he owns it (kicking game fiasco at a minimum). I don't recall Arians ever tempering any of his expectations while everybody fawned over his squad with "all that talent". And I think another season like last year would have to have Bidwill wondering just what in the heck he's shelling out all of that assistant coach and facility cash for if mediocre is the best Arians can do.

I think you're probably right, Arians would get maybe one more year if he wants it but you never know. Let's say 7-8-1 is followed by 8-8 and then 5-11. Bidwill would be feeling like he did on that dreadful day in Seattle, knowing for certain he waited one year too late to pull the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Relative to the expectations set by Arians himself, it's a huge stinker and he owns it (kicking game fiasco at a minimum). I don't recall Arians ever tempering any of his expectations while everybody fawned over his squad with "all that talent". And I think another season like last year would have to have Bidwill wondering just what in the heck he's shelling out all of that assistant coach and facility cash for if mediocre is the best Arians can do.

I think you're probably right, Arians would get maybe one more year if he wants it but you never know. Let's say 7-8-1 is followed by 8-8 and then 5-11. Bidwill would be feeling like he did on that dreadful day in Seattle, knowing for certain he waited one year too late to pull the plug.
    Enjoy rooting for 8-8 followed by 5-11.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    BA has that big belly . He looks more like a guy who sits on his boat and drinks.

Last year he had chest pains, diverticulosis and a torn rotator cuff.

This is not in any way a comparable situation with a young guy like PP who had an undiagnosed issue.

BA is an old man who much like his QB is on the decline.
    Hes fat, old, and frail.

As are all old guys.

Thats not to say hes about to die. Dude is 64. tom coughlin is 70. BA is easily good for 6 more years.

Hes fat, old, and frail.

As are all old guys.

Thats not to say hes about to die. Dude is 64. tom coughlin is 70. BA is easily good for 6 more years.
    And Tom Moore and Tom Pratt are how old too? Last I heard was 76 and 80 respectively.

It's all in the "want to" and BA's has not diminished. No matter how someone wants to spin it.

JosEPh

What can you say CardCore? Some ppl are naturally pessimistic. And if you've been a Cardinal fan since '68 your not in that boat.

JosEPh

Who's saying he's "enjoying it". Just realistically looking at scenarios. With his ST coach Amos still at the helm and clearly shoudnt be these are the types of things that bring football teams down. We now know stubbornness is not a good trait.
    Hes fat, old, and frail.

As are all old guys.

I hope your right but he's clearly got some issues.
    season ticket holder

Isn't Arians under contract until 2019? If anything he will retire then.. don't get why Peaple want him to retire. He s great coach, 10-6 the first year, got us to the play-offs with a backup qb, coach of the year, contract extensions, and y'all want him to retire!!lol. Who would you prefer, chip kelly? One of the Ryan brothers, and they fatter than bruce! Sure he's made some bone head moves and comments..but I'm not ready to run him out of town yet....or at all!!