Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long for Fitz?

This is it for him

no he won't hit Rice record....only one he may beat is Pro Bowls by a WR...he tied Rice last season

Everyone knows he played with garbage QB's for the majority of his career...thus making his numbers even more impressive.
    Owner

Larry says he'll address future plans at TC:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/
    Last edited by CardCore; 05-23-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    He is a free agent after this year. I think he has 4 options at the end of the year. Retire, Cardinals, Patriots for a chance at the ring, or go home to the Vikings.
    It's pretty clear now that its either the cardinals or retire. IF he would have moved it would have been a couple of years ago.
    season ticket holder

I think this will be his last, but I hope 1 more season for Fitz.

Fitz will play as long as he can, last year I didn't see any signs of regression in fact I think he got a lot better making some amazing catches. I'm my opinion he will play probably another 3 or 4 years with this year being his last in Arizona maybe. If AZ doesn't make the superbowl this year then he will chase that record for sure, by the end of the season he will realize that he's not too far from it and still has the ability to do so. If he due retire then I will be so depressed during2019 season watching the game from tv

I think this will be Fitz last year with the Cards. Now if they happen to win the SB I think he hangs his cleats up for good. If not I can see him maybe going to NE and trying one last time for a ring.

Fitz like 95 % of pro player has been doing this all his life. So he has been doing this for over 20+ years. After a while it gets to be a grind. It's a 9 month job. He surely doesn't need the money anymore. There comes a time when it's just not worth the time spent getting ready to pay and playing the games.

I have a friend who was a pro baseball player. He puled the plug after the season when he turned 35, and he was still a good player. I asked him how come. He got tired of the grind and being away from his family so much. He also said the body doesn't recuperate as fast and the aches and pains last longer. He also said it's different when you turn 30. You look at the game and what you have to do to be good differently. He flat said he'd had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    I think this will be Fitz last year with the Cards. Now if they happen to win the SB I think he hangs his cleats up for good. If not I can see him maybe going to NE and trying one last time for a ring.

Fitz like 95 % of pro player has been doing this all his life. So he has been doing this for over 20+ years. After a while it gets to be a grind. It's a 9 month job. He surely doesn't need the money anymore. There comes a time when it's just not worth the time spent getting ready to pay and playing the games.

I have a friend who was a pro baseball player. He puled the plug after the season when he turned 35, and he was still a good player. I asked him how come. He got tired of the grind and being away from his family so much. He also said the body doesn't recuperate as fast and the aches and pains last longer. He also said it's different when you turn 30. You look at the game and what you have to do to be good differently. He flat said he'd had enough.
    What motivates someone is unique to that individual. I think it's fair for us to say that we have reached the point where it is going to be year-to-year with Fitz. However, the juices that spark all the greats still flow through Larry. He doesn't want to limp away, but as long as he is performing up to his standards, and is confident that he is playing for a team committed to winning, with a QB who can maximize his (deteriorating but still tremendous) talents, I think Fitz will always consider coming back for another year (if his body tells him he can do it.)

Keep in mind, every year that Larry just puts up a "pretty good" season, say 80rec/900yards/8TD, he gets that much closer to Rice, and surpassing some of his "insurmountable" records becomes more and more possible.

Rice played into his 40's, and actually had a 1000 yard season at 40.

Fitz is in great shape and turns 34 right before the season starts.

IF he averages 80/900/8 for 5 more years- here's what it looks like:

Jerry Rice (retired after age 42 season) 1549rec 22,895yards 197TD

Larry Fitzgerald (after age 38 season) 1525rec 18,889yards 144TD

At that point, it is within reason that Fitzgerald could pass Rice in receptions and yards.

Don't underestimate that as motivation as long as Larry feels his body is holding up and he has a QB.

Larry is a fierce competitor to the bone..you don`t just walk away from that,can`t just turn it off..he will be playing somewhere until his motor gives out
    The Big A era begins

The media and its insatiable hunger for a 'story.' Sometimes an athlete or sports organization wants some attention or air a hint of something they deem necessary and you can see the media snap at the bait. If an inexperienced player makes a hasty or ill-timed comment the media is all too happy to chew it to death. This so-called news about Larry and his projected retirement is a non-story.

The only people Larry needs to converse with is his employer for obvious reasons. Anyone else becomes a weak link in the chain of awareness and a player shouldn't go there until an announcement is forthcoming. Larry is a saavy guy and if he tells the media this subject is off the table til seasons' end so be it. I would rather him tell the media he will keep playing until he decides not to, maybe three to four more seasons. The sports media will be too happy to further a 'controversy' until Larry puts a period on this personal issue.

Throughout my following the NFL there have been players who preferred to retire while having their health and had the notion of enough is enough, i.e. Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders, and there have been players who were pursuing an immortality of the record book, such as Emmitt Smith or Jerry Rice. All current players nowadays are challenged between these extremes in this very personal decision. For myself, I would love to see Larry continue his career on his terms for only the athlete can decide when further playing is contributory or an embarrassment.

Larry Fitzgerald is my all-time favorite Cardinal player and needn't add to his reprotoire, but when I witnessed his performance at Soldier Field against the Bears I knew he had plenty left in the tank and am anxious to compare that with what he will do against the Colts on September 17th.

Purely for comparison, I think Boldin is either two or three years older than Fitzgerald. And IMO Boldin was still playing at a high level last year, and I'd bet dollars to donuts Boldin's body took a lot more punishment over the years. Of course that doesn't measure the relative interest of each to keep playing, etc.. I wouldn't fault Fitzgerald if he hung it up after this year, there's no shame in retiring and having a reasonably functioning set of joints in his 40s and beyond. And I've heard from someone who would know that Fitzgerald is notoriously tight with the wallet, so I doubt money is an issue.