Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: 4 free agent RBs Cardinals could add for depth behind David Johnson

Default Article: 4 free agent RBs Cardinals could add for depth behind David Johnson

The Arizona Cardinals could use some experienced depth at running back behind David Johnson. They reportedly had a contract offer on the table for LeGarrette Blount, who ultimately signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. That contract offer was refuted locally, saying the Cardinals had no interest at all in him.

Either way, it highlights a need the Cardinals have a veteran running back in the room who has something left in the tank.

Here are four free agents at the position who could be that guy behind Johnson.

1. Chris Johnson
    2. Rashad Jennings
    3. James Starks
    4. Jonathan Grimes

The article goes into a little more details on each of the RB's listed above:

http://cardswire.usatoday.com/2017/0...vid-johnson/4/

Thoughts?

Not really excited about any of these guys considering the fact Charles, Peterson, Lacy, and Blount, and Murray were all out there for the pickings.

Isn't Chris Johnson on the team?

I would hope we could resign Chris Johnson but Idk if he wants to stay another year.

I like Williams tho as the back up..prob add someone else like you said.Guess Ellington could also be plugged in if needed to.
    The more you care..the more it hurts.

No one knows if CJ can be the guy he was at the beginning of the season years ago. The rest on this list....eh.

I've read they love Penney as a bigger version of DJ who can do a lot of the same things as him. Then we have KW and Ellington if needed as fast little guys. And then another fast little guy we just drafted.

For the entire KEIM era (which I've loved) the two things I bring up every year is the need to address getting a dedicated stud KR/PR in the draft who can develop into a position player like WR or CB, and a beast between the tackles short yardage and goal line traditional back. I know it's not BAs style to have backs the never catch and just plow forward, but there is a place for one of those guys on every NFL team. The situations where you need inches or feet or someone to punish the guys up the middle, or kill clock, happen all the time.

BASK hired a guy like that in Jonathon Dwyer their first year and he quickly was lost to a DV incident. I liked Blount as that guy this year. Don't really see anyone else out there who could fill that role well. I'm curious to see more of Penney.

Oh, and I'm hopeful we actually found a KR/PR in the draft...finally!

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    No one knows if CJ can be the guy he was at the beginning of the season years ago. The rest on this list....eh.

I've read they love Penney as a bigger version of DJ who can do a lot of the same things as him. Then we have KW and Ellington if needed as fast little guys. And then another fast little guy we just drafted.

For the entire KEIM era (which I've loved) the two things I bring up every year is the need to address getting a dedicated stud KR/PR in the draft who can develop into a position player like WR or CB, and a beast between the tackles short yardage and goal line traditional back. I know it's not BAs style to have backs the never catch and just plow forward, but there is a place for one of those guys on every NFL team. The situations where you need inches or feet or someone to punish the guys up the middle, or kill clock, happen all the time.

BASK hired a guy like that in Jonathon Dwyer their first year and he quickly was lost to a DV incident. I liked Blount as that guy this year. Don't really see anyone else out there who could fill that role well. I'm curious to see more of Penney.

Oh, and I'm hopeful we actually found a KR/PR in the draft...finally!
    We also have a kid named James Summers. UDFA I presume...6'3" 210. Haven't heard a word about him, but from E Carolina.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    We also have a kid named James Summers. UDFA I presume...6'3" 210. Haven't heard a word about him, but from E Carolina.
    http://247sports.com/Player/James-Summers-7433

Summers' stats at ECU are at the link. We have to assume Summers did something interesting at school to get SK's attention. I don't see 'interesting' in the stats. But that's also why I'm not a GM.

I would resign Chris Johnson. Id feel a lot more comfortable with him running the ball if David were to go down with injury, the other backs are too small to handle a pounding for a full game. When cj2k played for us his first year, he got hit a lot and got a lot of touches.. and he was on his way up to another 1000 yard season of it weren't for injuries. He can still move pretty good and can still juke players, I really enjoyed watching him play for us and hopes he comes back..

James Starks has always produced when called upon up in GB. Never understood why he didn't get more playing time.

But amount of money wanted may be a problem coupled with age. But should not be that big of a problem If we really have a need in the RB room. Not sure we do.

JosEPh

Starks or CJ. Either one would work. I think CJ is hoping to latch on with a team that will and can give him more carries than the Cards. I could see him returning if he doesn't find a team that will give him those carries.

Starks is so so. He had some good years and not so good years in GB. I'd really hate to have to depend on him for any length of time if DJ missed a bunch of games. The other two don't move the needle.