Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 122

Thread: Gut feeling who the cardinals may pursue for Qb after Palmer

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    I don't think you go after an Alex Smith at his age with BA still in place.
    Agree. That's why BA has to adjust his playbook or file for Social Security.

    It is easier to replace a Head Coach than it is to find a winning QB.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    If Smith is the best QB that Cards can bring aboard, then BA will just have to either adjust his O or file for SS. We can hire the OC from the Chiefs to join Alex Smith here.

    It is about Wins-vs-Loss, not how many TD went to WRs. Did you not see the W-L records of Palmer and Smith that I posted?

    Would you not take Joe Montana because he ran the dink-and-dunk West Coast offense?

    Alex Smith is a proven QB and an option I would prefer over a wholesale mortgage of our draft pick future to move up and gamble on a college newbie.

    Who do you want instead???
    What do I want?

    First for you to recognize that we hired Arians not Reid and that Keim drafted wideouts (Brown, JJ) to help implement his offensive approach.

    Changing an offensive system is more complicated than ripping out pages and adding some to a play book. Personnel comes into play, blocking schemes change. It's not simply plug and play.

    It's the BA & SK tandem running the shop and I suspect they'll be searching high and wide before turning to Captain Checkdown, which, to pick up your point, would probably drive BA into retirement

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    7,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    What do I want?

    First for you to recognize that we hired Arians not Reid and that Keim drafted wideouts (Brown, JJ) to help implement his offensive approach.

    Changing an offensive system is more complicated than ripping out pages and adding some to a play book. Personnel comes into play, blocking schemes change. It's not simply plug and play.

    It's the BA & SK tandem running the shop and I suspect they'll be searching high and wide before turning to Captain Checkdown, which, to pick up your point, would probably drive BA into retirement
    This is so true. When BA was brought in he with Keim's help did one of the largest roster revamps I've ever seen to fit what BAs offense is. Stanton was brought in because he knew BAs offense. Then Palmer was brought in because he is a prototypical BA offense type QB. The speed. The blocking TEs. The pass catching RBs. A guy like Smith or Kaep just doesn't fit the bill. Some coaches do adapt an offense to personnel. BA builds a roster for his offense.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    This is so true. When BA was brought in he with Keim's help did one of the largest roster revamps I've ever seen to fit what BAs offense is. Stanton was brought in because he knew BAs offense. Then Palmer was brought in because he is a prototypical BA offense type QB. The speed. The blocking TEs. The pass catching RBs. A guy like Smith or Kaep just doesn't fit the bill. Some coaches do adapt an offense to personnel. BA builds a roster for his offense.
    Agree on the history of the reconstruction of the Cards roster by BASK.

    It all falls apart when you can't find the BA-prototype QB to plug in and run the show. Recall Whiz's repeated explanation that 'the system works.' We all saw that it doesn't when you don't have the QB to run it. And, for all the churning of the roster that has been accomplished by BASK, they have not been able to get a QBOTF in place---in fact, an argument can be made that they haven't even tried.

    It is looking more-and-more likely that the kind of QB that BA covets is just not going to be there when Palmer retires. That includes both a pro vet QB or a college draftee. The quality pro guys are going to demand a high contract and teams like Detroit and Wash will be fools to let them walk. A drafted college QB is not going to 'fit the system' because BA's offense is not one being used/taught at the college level. To run BA's offense requires a deep knowledge of pro-level defenses---not something a college QB is going to have a clue about.

    Do Card fans really want to suffer through a few years of a college QB learning on the job . . . with no guarantee that the guy will turn into anything. The jury is still out on Winston, Carr, Mariotta.

    Card fans have really got to have their fingers crossed that Gabbert is going to be a BA QB.

    Once again, BA may have to tear pages out of his playbook and put in more of a West Coast O if the only sound QB available is a game manager dink-and-dunk guy like Alex Smith.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,121

    Default

    Ah. The coaching staff. BA is the biggest wild card on the staff. Will he continue to force the deep ball like he does or will he have learned to take his shots when available. That's the biggest question. This line the way it's constructed isn't set up for those long developing pass plays. Most of the guys on the line are better run blockers. Not saying their not decent pass blockers, but their not good enough pass blockers for those long developing pass plays. Get the defense thinking about the short quick passes and the runs then they will have time for an occasional deep pass. But if BA goes bombs away from the get go Carson is going to be on his back side a lot.

    Not saying BA has to go west coast, but he has to get more 3 and 5 step drops in the game plan. He has to make the D guess when he is going for the deep ball. Make the D play more straight up. And use your TE more BA !!!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Agree. That's why BA has to adjust his playbook or file for Social Security.

    It is easier to replace a Head Coach than it is to find a winning QB.
    Man. I really thought you were better than that for some stupid reason. Better reel in and change to a fresh new hook and some better bait.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Regardless of who the head coach is, and how good the runningback is, or how good the defense is; I still would rather swing and miss on a great QB than settle for a game manager. I do not care if we can win with a less impressive QB. I want to dominate the other team with an awesome QB. This argument of we can win with an average guy is ridiculous, we can win more with a great player at the most important position.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Agree on the history of the reconstruction of the Cards roster by BASK.

    It all falls apart when you can't find the BA-prototype QB to plug in and run the show. Recall Whiz's repeated explanation that 'the system works.' We all saw that it doesn't when you don't have the QB to run it. And, for all the churning of the roster that has been accomplished by BASK, they have not been able to get a QBOTF in place---in fact, an argument can be made that they haven't even tried.

    It is looking more-and-more likely that the kind of QB that BA covets is just not going to be there when Palmer retires. That includes both a pro vet QB or a college draftee. The quality pro guys are going to demand a high contract and teams like Detroit and Wash will be fools to let them walk. A drafted college QB is not going to 'fit the system' because BA's offense is not one being used/taught at the college level. To run BA's offense requires a deep knowledge of pro-level defenses---not something a college QB is going to have a clue about.

    Do Card fans really want to suffer through a few years of a college QB learning on the job . . . with no guarantee that the guy will turn into anything. The jury is still out on Winston, Carr, Mariotta.

    Card fans have really got to have their fingers crossed that Gabbert is going to be a BA QB.

    Once again, BA may have to tear pages out of his playbook and put in more of a West Coast O if the only sound QB available is a game manager dink-and-dunk guy like Alex Smith.
    Yes.


    Plus this entire thread is based on the idea that Mahomes is ready to start after this year. Wasn't everyone telling me a month ago how unready that guy would be to play NFL QB after 1 year?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, Home of Champions
    Posts
    5,437

    Default

    Our next QB is going to be here a lot longer than BA. Gotta keep that in mind.

    Arians being only able to work with one model of quarterback seems like more of the Whisenhunt "system works" than not. Tom Brady rarely throws more than ten or fifteen yards.
    He does when he has to, but that's all. Same with Montana. Those guys wouldn't get a look from this team if we were blindfolded and just told of their playing style.
    Once my pants are on, I make the playoffs- Ayy Zee Crazy

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    5,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    I agree---don't see much comparison between Smith and DA as players. DA had the strong arm (but inaccurate).

    Perhaps he means that Whiz/Graves brought in DA to be their answer with the end result they ended up on the street and for SK to bring in Smith would be a similar bad move????
    Thank you. Logic is our forte.

    My concern was that a Smith hiring results in another major FO disappointment.

    If I was GM, I'd pursue Kirk Cousins before Alex Smith in 2018. Youth is the biggest difference here, and Cousins is proven durable and effective with a mediocre Redskins offense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •