Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gut feeling who the cardinals may pursue for Qb after Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    The guy in my opinion can keep the cardinals competitive and there is no guarantee BA will be around after this season. He don't have to fit BA's offense perfectly there is not many out there that do.

If you can run the ball which we can we can also throw the ball with smith.
    If it's all about running the ball and checkdowns there are no shortage and cheaper alternatives to be found.

Cards may be a the point where it is not getting a superior QB that they really want, it is getting a competent QB who can manage a offense.

Alex Smith certainly doesn't match up well with BA's vertical deep-pass offense. The key point is that it may be BA who is the sticking point and his reluctance to modify the O to match the QB is the problem.

A superior coach will take the talent he has and put in a game plan that will maximize those players on the roster.

Alex Smith is dink-and-dunk . . . but so was Joe Montana. It is the coach and the game plan that may have to change if Gabbert doesn't work out.

Since joining KC, Alex Smith has gone (record as the starting QB):

2013 11-4
    2014 8-7
    2015 11-5
    2016 11-4

For the four years, 41-20-0

Since joining AZ, Palmer has gone:

2013 10-6
    2014 6-0
    2015 13-3
    2016 6-8-1

For the four years, 35-17-1

The records look pretty comparable. We can do a lot worse than Alex Smith---just have to adjust BA's offense to match the player and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Cards may be a the point where it is not getting a superior QB that they really want, it is getting a competent QB who can manage a offense.

Alex Smith certainly doesn't match up well with BA's vertical deep-pass offense. The key point is that it may be BA who is the sticking point and his reluctance to modify the O to match the QB is the problem.

A superior coach will take the talent he has and put in a game plan that will maximize those players on the roster.

Alex Smith is dink-and-dunk . . . but so was Joe Montana. It is the coach and the game plan that may have to change if Gabbert doesn't work out.

Since joining KC, Alex Smith has gone (record as the starting QB):

2013 11-4
    2014 8-7
    2015 11-5
    2016 11-4

For the four years, 41-20-0

Since joining AZ, Palmer has gone:

2013 10-6
    2014 6-0
    2015 13-3
    2016 6-8-1

For the four years, 35-17-1

The records look pretty comparable. We can do a lot worse than Alex Smith---just have to adjust BA's offense to match the player and not the other way around.
    One doesn't 'adjust' the Arian's offence with the arrival of Smith, you effectively trash it.

Smith is a dink and dunk west coaster with terrible numbers outside the hash marks and the dubious distinction of not throwing one TD to a wideout a few seasons back.
    Last edited by Crazy-Canuck; 05-19-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    One doesn't 'adjust' the Arian's offence with the arrival of Smith, you effectively trash it.

Smith is a dink and dunk west coaster with terrible numbers outside the hash marks and the dubious distinction of not throwing one TD to a wideout a few seasons back.
    IMG_2030.JPG

Sorry, I had to. Also had to correct your spelling to the American version of "offense".
    Last edited by Dry Heat; 05-19-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    IMG_2030.JPG

Sorry, I had to. Also had to correct your spelling to the American version of "offense".
    Funny!

And I use the English spelling, America for some odd reason uses the French spelling for defence and offence.
    Last edited by Crazy-Canuck; 05-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Alex Smith = Derek Anderson = Steve Keim getting fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post

If Smith is the best QB that Cards can bring aboard, then BA will just have to either adjust his O or file for SS. We can hire the OC from the Chiefs to join Alex Smith here.

It is about Wins-vs-Loss, not how many TD went to WRs. Did you not see the W-L records of Palmer and Smith that I posted?

Would you not take Joe Montana because he ran the dink-and-dunk West Coast offense?

Alex Smith is a proven QB and an option I would prefer over a wholesale mortgage of our draft pick future to move up and gamble on a college newbie.

Who do you want instead???

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Alex Smith = Derek Anderson = Steve Keim getting fired.
    How do you come up w/ THAT? I don't see many similarities at all....
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    How do you come up w/ THAT? I don't see many similarities at all....
    I agree---don't see much comparison between Smith and DA as players. DA had the strong arm (but inaccurate).

Perhaps he means that Whiz/Graves brought in DA to be their answer with the end result they ended up on the street and for SK to bring in Smith would be a similar bad move????

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    If Smith is the best QB that Cards can bring aboard, then BA will just have to either adjust his O or file for SS. We can hire the OC from the Chiefs to join Alex Smith here.

It is about Wins-vs-Loss, not how many TD went to WRs. Did you not see the W-L records of Palmer and Smith that I posted?

Would you not take Joe Montana because he ran the dink-and-dunk West Coast offense?

Alex Smith is a proven QB and an option I would prefer over a wholesale mortgage of our draft pick future to move up and gamble on a college newbie.

Who do you want instead???
    I don't think you go after an Alex Smith at his age with BA still in place.
    The question of Daryl Washington.