Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Which defensive player has more to prove this season? Nkemdiche or Mathieu?

Default Article: Which defensive player has more to prove this season? Nkemdiche or Mathieu?

Which defensive player has more to prove this upcoming season? Robert Nkemdiche or Tyrann Mathieu?

TEMPE, Ariz. -- This might be one of the toughest yet most important questions of the offseason.

Both Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu and defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche, in their own ways, have plenty to prove in 2017. But I think it's more urgent for Mathieu.

The fifth-year safety is coming off a third season (out of four) that ended with him on injured reserve. Despite his immense talent, hes injury-prone. And with that comes a constant concern about his next issue. When Mathieu is healthy, hes proved hes one of the best defenders in the NFL and, arguably, the best safety. One area where hes risen above all other defensive players is his ability to find the ball. No one defender in the NFL has the ball-hawking skills of Mathieu, just another reason why having him on the field has been a significant benefit to the Cardinals.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...dinals-in-2017

Ya, I agree. Nkmdiche or whatever his name is was a boom or bust roll of the dice. I don't think it would surprise anybody if he turns out to be a bust.
    Mathieu has to prove he's worth that big contract. I think if he gets hurt again its time to rethink that contract, and I think he will probably get hurt again.

The game is brutal. Major injuries happen. Mathieu's athleticism and intensity are remarkable and he delivers maximum force on every play. Likewise, he is not afraid of the punishment that comes with each hit delivered. That he has been on IR at the end of several seasons is unfortunate. But, I don't think he has anything to prove to himself or the game. Mathieu will never take a play off. He's all in, all the time.

Nkemdiche is just getting started in his career. His job is far different compared to Mathieu's. Let's give Nkemdiche some more time. BASK don't seem concerned. Me neither.

What a crappy article by Weinpuss. And he got Paid for writing it too! smh

JosEPh

I think we can all agree that when healthy Mathieu is a great player. Problem is the kid can't stay healthy. he has missed one full season. Last year he wasn't near to form. Same in 2014. At some point if he keeps this up you have to cut your losses.

Nkimdichke is a total different matter. Another player who wasn't ready for the pro game his 1st year. This is a big year for him. Pretty much a make or break year. He really needs to put all that talent to work. If not time to move on from him after his rookie contract is up, or maybe even before.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    I think we can all agree that when healthy Mathieu is a great player. Problem is the kid can't stay healthy. he has missed one full season. Last year he wasn't near to form. Same in 2014. At some point if he keeps this up you have to cut your losses.

Nkimdichke is a total different matter. Another player who wasn't ready for the pro game his 1st year. This is a big year for him. Pretty much a make or break year. He really needs to put all that talent to work. If not time to move on from him after his rookie contract is up, or maybe even before.
    Nk has to just be productive not reach his full potential I would like him to but he has a little time to reach his full potential. However we are spending far too much for a player that can't make it through a full season. The badger has to show he can make to the playoffs and be healthy for the playoffs. Nk time will come his make or break season will be next year unless he proves himself this season. I think the badger definitely is in a make or break it season this year. There are several guys this is it for them this season. Nk is not there yet but with a solid,season this year he can erase the critics if he produces this season.

One guy is super dedicated and plays to 100 percent of his potential. Injuries are just something he has little control of , perhaps he will train differently.

The other guy is just a lazy dud who's had it easy all his athletic life. One draft day when he was surrounded by all his peeps all dressed up like it was a tacky musical I knew this guy would be a bust. He spends most of his days at banana republic outfitting his boys and not enough dedicated to his craft. I have virtually no faith in this guy.
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    Nk has to just be productive not reach his full potential I would like him to but he has a little time to reach his full potential. However we are spending far too much for a player that can't make it through a full season. The badger has to show he can make to the playoffs and be healthy for the playoffs. Nk time will come his make or break season will be next year unless he proves himself this season. I think the badger definitely is in a make or break it season this year. There are several guys this is it for them this season. Nk is not there yet but with a solid,season this year he can erase the critics if he produces this season.
    Just an added thought here about the Honey Badger and the endless "make or break" chatter, he's already done both figuratively, e.g., draft idol, new personality, Pro Bowl pick, All Pro First Team, and a repaired body (twice). Folks, HB is one of the hardest workers, earns every dime, and is living the dream. He has nothing to prove unless it's impressing some fans again and picking out a Super Bowl ring for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Just an added thought here about the Honey Badger and the endless "make or break" chatter, he's already done both figuratively, e.g., draft idol, new personality, Pro Bowl pick, All Pro First Team, and a repaired body (twice). Folks, HB is one of the hardest workers, earns every dime, and is living the dream. He has nothing to prove unless it's impressing some fans again and picking out a Super Bowl ring for himself.
    He has nothing to prove with his work ethic or performance when healthy but you can't continue to get injured being paid what he is paid. He will not be around for a SB ring if we were to get that far according to his past. I love the Badger but not at that price tag if he can't be on the field when we need him most.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    I'm in agreement with your thoughts on the subject. HB doesn't have to "prove" anything. I think about somebody that needs to prove something, but can't because he's always hurt and Niklas comes to mind immediately. I mean, the guy just has had terrible luck that way and has been unable to stay on the field long enough to have much impact.
    In HB's case it's more he need to prove himself AGAIN? It makes more sense to me to say he has to show that he can return to being his old self.

Nkemdiche? Yeah, he needs to prove that he might have what it takes to eventually become the new #90. Some people act like he was taken at #3 or #6 though, instead of at 29. There's a lot of players that don't have much impact in their first year anyway.
    The question of Daryl Washington.