Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 116

Thread: Article: Robert Nkemdiche suffers injury, could miss rest of minicamp

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    We're all speculating on here lets not kid anybody. We could just put out facts and it wouldn't be much of a fan forum.

    That being said I'm 100 sure Robert performed poorly last season based on his attitude of having everything handed to him since high school AND the fact he spends to much shopping at Banana Republic.

    Its not like Robert is learning the toughest position in football and has Brett Favre in front of him.

    As a poster, you have talent but your a little immature to be separate relevant facts from an emotional position. I'm hopeful that you'll grow out of it and realize that the human condition is very nuanced and it's virtually impossible to narrow down the difference between great and failure in a pro-athlete. I'm pretty sure the percentage of high ankle sprains and hamstring injuries that occur while shopping in Banana Republic are statistically irrelevant.
    Last edited by Biggs; 07-16-2017 at 11:00 AM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    As a poster, you have talent but your a little immature to be separate relevant facts from an emotional position. I'm hopeful that you'll grow out of it and realize that the human condition is very nuanced and it's virtually impossible to narrow down the difference between great and failure in a pro-athlete. I'm pretty sure the percentage of high ankle sprains and hamstring injuries that occur while shopping in Banana Republic are statistically irrelevant.
    I think Keim recognized and learned a couple of things drafting Robert. And he has hinted in so during interviews.

    Just look at the first couple of picks this year. These two guys top qualities , outside of clear talent which is paramount, was their work ethic.

    I don't think Keim will ever go the route of Nkimdeche again. The uber talented , everything handed to him on every level, but questionable attitude and poor work ethic.
    season ticket holder

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    I think Keim recognized and learned a couple of things drafting Robert. And he has hinted in so during interviews.

    Just look at the first couple of picks this year. These two guys top qualities , outside of clear talent which is paramount, was their work ethic.

    I don't think Keim will ever go the route of Nkimdeche again. The uber talented , everything handed to him on every level, but questionable attitude and poor work ethic.
    I look at our first round pick this year as an uber talent who was picked because his measurable are off the chart. He's measurable jump out at you and that's why he was picked where he was picked.

    What percentage of uber talented NFL first round draft picks weren't handed everything to them on every level? I suspect 90 plus percentage of NFL first round picks where the stars on their peewee, JV and high school teams. Very few were walk ons, almost all of them had multiple full scholarships and many of them got jobs that paid them for doing absolutely nothing. Almost all of them who went to big time college programs got tutors, exemptions from classes, free passes through college, etc., etc., etc. Humphries would not have been drafted last year and Badger certainly shouldn't have been drafted at all let alone giving a cap killing contract when he has a history of injuries and drug abuse.

    Dan Marino was the 5th QB taken in his draft. There are two other QB's who are also in the HOF from that class. You could make the argument that Elway should have gone before Marino but I'm sure if you looked at the tape of both of them without taking into consideration the rumors, Marino would have been No. 1 on many GM boards. One thing is for sure he had a much better career than the other 4 QB' taken ahead of him, including Jim Kelly who as good as he was, shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Marino when talking about the greatest QB' in NFL history.

    I suspect Keim will do what he does. Rate players based on all kinds of data and stick to his board. If he has an opportunity to move up or down based on his board he will do it. He's a good GM and is likely not going to change his philosophy based on a past failure or success. If he is making huge changes based on one pick he probably isn't going to be around very long. That doesn't mean he doesn't learn, but Keim is not a rookie GM who is likely to be phased by one pick based on one years lack of production.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Of course and that's fair. But lets put it into context. He had an ankle injury that he fully recovered from . He could easily have been a rotation guy but he couldn't even do that. He showed up like he did in college and thought he could just put the pads on. AND he still didn't get it as the year went on. You would think a light would have gone off and he could have flashed something, anything, at the end of the year. But nope.

    Now the question is going into year two. Is he going to be a professional and work on his craft or was he in Scottsdale with his buddies getting outfitted at Banana republic. Gotta look good with the boys when you head into the club.

    My guess is you'll still see little of this guy this year.
    Who on this forum is privvy to what is going on with players and their work ethic inside the Card's facility and/or during their off-season workouts and playbook study? When you start speculating on what is going on inside a player's head and his attitude, you say more about your own attitude and what is going on inside your head.

    Cards are notorious for hiding injuries and, when acknowledged, downplaying the severity. Players continue to hit the field with less than expected results and fans are left doubting the player's talent level because we don't know that he is operating with a bad injury (see Bethel attempting to play CB on a bad foot).

    High ankle sprains can take FOREVER to heal under the best of conditions let alone when you are banging with big dudes who are intent on stopping your forward motion. What was the condition of NKM's ankle at the end of last year? I don't know if he was fully recovered---but until we do know it is unfair to the player to judge him as having a flawed character when he was playing on a flawed ankle.

    As to hitting Banana Republic and treating his friends to some new threads---big deal. Guy finally has some money coming in and wants to spend it on his boys. Think of it as an early Christmas.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I look at our first round pick this year as an uber talent who was picked because his measurable are off the chart. He's measurable jump out at you and that's why he was picked where he was picked.

    What percentage of uber talented NFL first round draft picks weren't handed everything to them on every level? I suspect 90 plus percentage of NFL first round picks where the stars on their peewee, JV and high school teams. Very few were walk ons, almost all of them had multiple full scholarships and many of them got jobs that paid them for doing absolutely nothing. Almost all of them who went to big time college programs got tutors, exemptions from classes, free passes through college, etc., etc., etc. Humphries would not have been drafted last year and Badger certainly shouldn't have been drafted at all let alone giving a cap killing contract when he has a history of injuries and drug abuse.

    Dan Marino was the 5th QB taken in his draft. There are two other QB's who are also in the HOF from that class. You could make the argument that Elway should have gone before Marino but I'm sure if you looked at the tape of both of them without taking into consideration the rumors, Marino would have been No. 1 on many GM boards. One thing is for sure he had a much better career than the other 4 QB' taken ahead of him, including Jim Kelly who as good as he was, shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Marino when talking about the greatest QB' in NFL history.

    I suspect Keim will do what he does. Rate players based on all kinds of data and stick to his board. If he has an opportunity to move up or down based on his board he will do it. He's a good GM and is likely not going to change his philosophy based on a past failure or success. If he is making huge changes based on one pick he probably isn't going to be around very long. That doesn't mean he doesn't learn, but Keim is not a rookie GM who is likely to be phased by one pick based on one years lack of production.
    And Marino dropped because of a party reputation and a fondness for Mary Jane.
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    And Marino dropped because of a party reputation and a fondness for Mary Jane.
    Exactly. He was considered dumb, crappy work ethic and rumors of smoking pot. He also had one of the greatest throwing motions in NFL history, great size, great field vision and turned out to be arguably one of the 5 greatest QB's in the history of the game. Every NFL GM with the exception of the Elway pick were second guessed by their fan base. The Pats and Jets both in the same division had fans killing their GM's for years over passing on Marino. You could make an argument that even Bills fans recognize that Marino would have won a few of the SB Kelley didn't win with the best overall team in football.

    There is no magic formula for drafting. Sometimes when you're at the bottom of a round you take a chance on outsized talent. It's much easier at the top of a loaded draft to take character because it comes with outsized talent. That said there are plenty of examples, Marino being one where passing on ubber talent for character has been a disaster for GM's.
    Last edited by Biggs; 07-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I look at our first round pick this year as an uber talent who was picked because his measurable are off the chart. He's measurable jump out at you and that's why he was picked where he was picked.

    What percentage of uber talented NFL first round draft picks weren't handed everything to them on every level? I suspect 90 plus percentage of NFL first round picks where the stars on their peewee, JV and high school teams. Very few were walk ons, almost all of them had multiple full scholarships and many of them got jobs that paid them for doing absolutely nothing. Almost all of them who went to big time college programs got tutors, exemptions from classes, free passes through college, etc., etc., etc. Humphries would not have been drafted last year and Badger certainly shouldn't have been drafted at all let alone giving a cap killing contract when he has a history of injuries and drug abuse.

    Dan Marino was the 5th QB taken in his draft. There are two other QB's who are also in the HOF from that class. You could make the argument that Elway should have gone before Marino but I'm sure if you looked at the tape of both of them without taking into consideration the rumors, Marino would have been No. 1 on many GM boards. One thing is for sure he had a much better career than the other 4 QB' taken ahead of him, including Jim Kelly who as good as he was, shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Marino when talking about the greatest QB' in NFL history.

    I suspect Keim will do what he does. Rate players based on all kinds of data and stick to his board. If he has an opportunity to move up or down based on his board he will do it. He's a good GM and is likely not going to change his philosophy based on a past failure or success. If he is making huge changes based on one pick he probably isn't going to be around very long. That doesn't mean he doesn't learn, but Keim is not a rookie GM who is likely to be phased by one pick based on one years lack of production.
    Clearly all these guys were stars and had some sort of star treatment/privilege. But it's how you handle it that is important. Some like Robert become lazy with it and once they get paid its pretty well over. He's still young and has a chance but I have big time doubts about this guy.

    And our first rounder this year was a walk on (I believe) at his college and used his work ethic to get near the top. That is impressive!!

    And I have no issue at all with going out with the posse and treating your friends. But the statement at the draft was too much. All showboat when you need to show some humility.
    And no need for Banana republic 6 times a week. Mix it in a bit. Old Navy works sometime!! And flip the playbook open while your peeps are in the dressing room.
    season ticket holder

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Clearly all these guys were stars and had some sort of star treatment/privilege. But it's how you handle it that is important. Some like Robert become lazy with it and once they get paid its pretty well over. He's still young and has a chance but I have big time doubts about this guy.

    And our first rounder this year was a walk on (I believe) at his college and used his work ethic to get near the top. That is impressive!!

    And I have no issue at all with going out with the posse and treating your friends. But the statement at the draft was too much. All showboat when you need to show some humility.
    And no need for Banana republic 6 times a week. Mix it in a bit. Old Navy works sometime!! And flip the playbook open while your peeps are in the dressing room.
    Would you have passed on Randi Moss and Dez Bryant?

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Clearly all these guys were stars and had some sort of star treatment/privilege. But it's how you handle it that is important. Some like Robert become lazy with it and once they get paid its pretty well over. He's still young and has a chance but I have big time doubts about this guy.

    And our first rounder this year was a walk on (I believe) at his college and used his work ethic to get near the top. That is impressive!!

    And I have no issue at all with going out with the posse and treating your friends. But the statement at the draft was too much. All showboat when you need to show some humility.
    And no need for Banana republic 6 times a week. Mix it in a bit. Old Navy works sometime!! And flip the playbook open while your peeps are in the dressing room.
    Stop stereotyping. It's insulting and ignorant.

    I once again draw your attention to perhaps the greatest ever to play his position on Draft Night.

    deion1.jpg

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Stop stereotyping. It's insulting and ignorant.

    I once again draw your attention to perhaps the greatest ever to play his position on Draft Night.

    deion1.jpg
    OH hear comes the social media warrior.

    He's very close to calling me a racist I'm sure.
    season ticket holder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •