Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirk Cousins OR Matthew Stafford

Default Kirk Cousins OR Matthew Stafford

Let's play imaginary GM with two more possible vet QB choices who might be available to the Cards at the end of 2017.

In this round, let's weigh the choice between Kirk Cousins (Washington) vs Matthew Stafford (Lions). I put these two head-to-head because both are ready to get big contracts and to lure them to the Cards, SK will have to lay down the big bucks for either one. Also, both have some of the QB qualities that BA likes in the QB position.

Both QBs are in discussions with their teams for long-term contracts. Seems to be more discord in Washington with Cousins and mgmt. and he has already earned a fortune in one-year contracts. With Stafford, perhaps Detroit has seen enough to decide that he's just not the guy to get them to the next level---his career record is a losing one at 51-59. Not too exciting for a #1 pick and a guy looking at a huge contract.

Cousins was drafted the same year as RGIII and after RGIII went down with injuries, came in and played well enough to capture the job as RGIII never got right with his health issues. Stafford was the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft (the same year the Cards took Beanie Wells).

Here's the comparison stats for both for their careers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...00&idx=players

NOTE: If this type of topic doesn't appeal to you, please don't clog up the thread with your statements that this type of thread doesn't appeal to you. There are plenty of other forum topics to chime in on OR get creative and propose one of your own.

Neither one is an Arron Rogers or Brady. Neither have shown they can win when it counts. With the type of money both are going to command I wouldn't want either one.

Stafford by a longshot. He fits BA's system to a T. Offer him the bank and then some. This is refreshing after Smith, Gabbert, Bradford, etc
    discussion.

Stafford is a perfect fit for BA's system. I can't see Detroit letting him go. Washington seems like a team with an owner who could open the door for Cousins to leave. I would take either over Alex Smith a proven winner with a great record as a starting QB who compares favorably with Kurt Warner and Bubby Brister according to Pro-Football reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Neither one is an Arron Rogers or Brady. Neither have shown they can win when it counts. With the type of money both are going to command I wouldn't want either one.
    But you like/want Palmer? Makes sense...

Cousins = most likely going to 49ers
    Stafford = staying in Detroit
    Last edited by monsterike; 06-07-2017 at 09:54 AM.

I think monsterstrike is right about where both land, but I'd love to see what Stafford could do in BAs offense and on a team with a great RB and defense to boot.

I like Cousins a lot as well. This first round is a bit like Pam Anderson vs Kate Upton

Pretty sure the thread starter said he knows its a long shot, so we probably don't need 50 people telling him it won't happen.

Stafford all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Were talking about replacing Carson Palmer who has a cap hit of 24.125 million in 2017

Stafford.

Ive always liked him. I think hes been a victim of being on a bad team with few weapons (other than Calvin Johnson) for a long time. He puts up good numbers. Good accuracy which is HUGELY important to me. Big arm for BAs system.

I think Stafford could be a franchise QB for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Stafford is a perfect fit for BA's system. I can't see Detroit letting him go. Washington seems like a team with an owner who could open the door for Cousins to leave. I would take either over Alex Smith a proven winner with a great record as a starting QB who compares favorably with Kurt Warner and Bubby Brister according to Pro-Football reference.
    Hold back those horses!

Plan is to compare the forum choice of Gabbert vs. A Smith with the forum choice of Cousins vs. Stafford. The thread on Gabbert vs A Smith is still playing out. Once we line up some choices in this single elimination round-robin we'll narrow it down and you'll be able to vote down Smith. LOL.