Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Favorites for 2018 1st round pick.

Default Early Favorites for 2018 1st round pick.

(assuming we pick in the range of 24 to 32)

1. Quenton Nelson, G. Notre Dame. Keim loves Notre Dame guys. I think Nelson is a perfect fit for 3 reasons: first because he will be the BPA at that pick. Second, he will allow us to cut Iupati and save some money. Future at G being Nelson+Dorian. And Lastly, with Carson gone, we will be a 100% run team, much like Dallas. David Johnson all the way. Meaning we need to invest in the line, much like Dallas. Nelson is an elite, day 1 G.

2. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. Quietly one of the best QBs in college football for the last 3 years. and hes a BA guy. 6'5, 235. Brickhouse.
    I think hes the easy choice if BA has a shot at him. Id be happy with him. With David as our centerpiece, we only need a QB to not screw up. Rudolph is safe with the ball. Only threw 4 picks last season, while still racking up 4,000 yards.

3. Tarvarus Mcfadden, CB, Florida State. No relation to Bryant Mcfadden. 6'2, 200. 4.40 40. All ACC and top CB awards winner. Still need that #2 CB.

4. Vita Vea, DT/NT, Washington. A massive, earth moving NT whos surprisingly quick. Hes not just a space eater. He actually provides significant interior pressure. With Golden + Chandler on the edges, having a dominant interior linemen would create a massive protection issue for the OL.

5. Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn. The dark dark horse. I expect him to be this years Solomon Thomas. No name who quietly climbs into the 1st round as the draft process goes on. What we know now: very little. But when he has played, he looks like a cool headed pocket passer who makes good decisions and is extremely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

1. Quenton Nelson, G. Notre Dame. Keim loves Notre Dame guys. I think Nelson is a perfect fit for 3 reasons: first because he will be the BPA at that pick. Second, he will allow us to cut Iupati and save some money. Future at G being Nelson+Dorian. And Lastly, with Carson gone, we will be a 100% run team, much like Dallas. David Johnson all the way. Meaning we need to invest in the line, much like Dallas. Nelson is an elite, day 1 G.

2. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. Quietly one of the best QBs in college football for the last 3 years. and hes a BA guy. 6'5, 235. Brickhouse.
    I think hes the easy choice if BA has a shot at him. Id be happy with him. With David as our centerpiece, we only need a QB to not screw up. Rudolph is safe with the ball. Only threw 4 picks last season, while still racking up 4,000 yards.

3. Tarvarus Mcfadden, CB, Florida State. No relation to Bryant Mcfadden. 6'2, 200. 4.40 40. All ACC and top CB awards winner. Still need that #2 CB.

4. Vita Vea, DT/NT, Washington. A massive, earth moving NT whos surprisingly quick. Hes not just a space eater. He actually provides significant interior pressure. With Golden + Chandler on the edges, having a dominant interior linemen would create a massive protection issue for the OL.

5. Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn. The dark dark horse. I expect him to be this years Solomon Thomas. No name who quietly climbs into the 1st round as the draft process goes on. What we know now: very little. But when he has played, he looks like a cool headed pocket passer who makes good decisions and is extremely accurate.
    Too early for me to think about but I do have a question...why so big on first round guards? Weren't you the one pushing Forest Lamp so hard as the #13 pick this year? I do see your reasoning though for 2018. Have to think it will be a QB though, possibly even a move up for one.

I think it'll likely be Rudolph as he fits the BA qb of the future with his rifle arm, ability to go deep.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

I think we'll be drafting between 18-20. If so, I hope Keim is aggressive if he likes a QB (One of the big three in Darnold, Allen, Rosen). Stidham will be interesting to watch at Auburn. Rudolph or Falk and some others I wouldn't touch until round 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Too early for me to think about but I do have a question...why so big on first round guards? Weren't you the one pushing Forest Lamp so hard as the #13 pick this year? I do see your reasoning though for 2018. Have to think it will be a QB though, possibly even a move up for one.
    Yep, 100%. Huge Lamp fan.

Reason: see Dallas Cowboys.

Theres this perception that somehow sacks that guards give up arent as bad as sacks that T's give up. And so we spend big money on T's, and half a ham sandwhich on G's (and Center), and then are surprised when Aaron Donald eats us alive from the interior.

If I could spend 5 1st rounders on 5 Olineman, I would. You get what you pay for. Gs are just as important as Ts. Im very happy with Dorian Johnson. He was a 2nd round rated G who fell because of his liver thing. Now I want an elite G for the otherside to replace an ageing, slowing Iupati.

And the biggest benefit being what I already talked about, becoming a primary run team with David, we should get the best blockers possible. IE 1st rounders on the line.
    Last edited by Zaz; 06-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Agree with you on McFadden. Others:

Christian Wilkins, 4-3 DT but can play 3-4 DE, Clemson
    Arden Key, Edge, LSU
    Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas

Key probably goes top-10 though if he has the season he should.

As a Florida State fan, I'd love Tarvarus McFadden if we can't get one of the top QBs. Also plenty of WRs I like (Callaway, Washington, Cain, Tate, Sutton, etc.)

Yep, 100%. Huge Lamp fan.

Reason: see Dallas Cowboys.

Theres this perception that somehow sacks that guards give up arent as bad as sacks that T's give up. And so we spend big money on T's, and half a ham sandwhich on G's (and Center), and then are surprised when Aaron Donald eats us alive from the interior.

If I could spend 5 1st rounders on 5 Olineman, I would. You get what you pay for. Gs are just as important as Ts. Im very happy with Dorian Johnson. He was a 2nd round rated G who fell because of his liver thing. Now I want an elite G for the otherside to replace an ageing, slowing Iupati.

And the biggest benefit being what I already talked about, becoming a primary run team with David, we should get the best blockers possible. IE 1st rounders on the line.
    We took Cooper in the first, Humphries in the first, spent huge money on Veldheer and Iupati, took Dorian this year, an early Center last year, signed a Pro Bowl Super Bowl winning G from Denver in Mathis last year, and tons of other lower level draft picks and moves on the Oline, all in the short BASK era. They aren't being cheap on the Oline by any means.

2018 is the year we draft a QB in round 1. We might mortgage the future and trade up

I'm all in with this 2018 QB class

Interesting not one WR on your list, despite every mock draft this year telling us we will take a WR as a 'Fitz replacement' haha. I know BA doesn't 'value' WR in the first round, but it will be interesting this year if Fitz does retire there is one big whole to fill in the slot and on third/fourth downs. Then if John Brown doesn't look the same player he could quite easily go elsewhere as he is in a contract year, there goes one of our speed guys. Jaron Brown is also in a contract year and coming off the back of a knee, there is goes our red zone target. God knows which of the guys currently working out will make the roster but it's likely to be Fitz, John Brown, Chad Williams, JJ Nelson, Jaron Brown and Brittan Golden (imo). Hopefully Nelson carries on progressing and becomes John Brown-lite and Chad Williams can become that big bodied red zone target. Two names spring to mind in the draft as potential first rounders and that is going to be Christian Kirk and Calvin Ridley. It is too early though to say if either of these guys are going to be WR1 material. Courtland Sutton is meant to be a really good prospect but I Have seen jack all of him, though I do worry about selecting big WR's from small schools, especially first round. I'm a big fan of James Washington too, after watching a lot Oklahoma State when checking out Rudolf, he could be a great pick up in the second/third round. I don't think WR was a position of need this draft but next year, worst case, it could be.

(PS this is my first post, please be gentle. I'm a UK based fan who has only been following the game for a couple of years. Last year was my first year watching college ball but I love the draft process and seeing how it all develops.)