Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Favorites for 2018 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Interesting not one WR on your list, despite every mock draft this year telling us we will take a WR as a 'Fitz replacement' haha. I know BA doesn't 'value' WR in the first round, but it will be interesting this year if Fitz does retire there is one big whole to fill in the slot and on third/fourth downs. Then if John Brown doesn't look the same player he could quite easily go elsewhere as he is in a contract year, there goes one of our speed guys. Jaron Brown is also in a contract year and coming off the back of a knee, there is goes our red zone target. God knows which of the guys currently working out will make the roster but it's likely to be Fitz, John Brown, Chad Williams, JJ Nelson, Jaron Brown and Brittan Golden (imo). Hopefully Nelson carries on progressing and becomes John Brown-lite and Chad Williams can become that big bodied red zone target. Two names spring to mind in the draft as potential first rounders and that is going to be Christian Kirk and Calvin Ridley. It is too early though to say if either of these guys are going to be WR1 material. Courtland Sutton is meant to be a really good prospect but I Have seen jack all of him, though I do worry about selecting big WR's from small schools, especially first round. I'm a big fan of James Washington too, after watching a lot Oklahoma State when checking out Rudolf, he could be a great pick up in the second/third round. I don't think WR was a position of need this draft but next year, worst case, it could be.

(PS this is my first post, please be gentle. I'm a UK based fan who has only been following the game for a couple of years. Last year was my first year watching college ball but I love the draft process and seeing how it all develops.)
    Kyle, welcome to the Board! Your thoughts about American football and especially the Arizona Cardinals team are greatly valued here.

Agreed, WR1 (and QB) likely will be major team needs by 2018. How the Cardinals fare in 2017 will certainly affect future draft and FA needs. I have no WR1 draftee in mind today. He might be playing at the pro level already. Meanwhile, I'm excited about the current veterans group and prospects for a much improved W/L record this year.

🇺🇸

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Kyle, welcome to the Board! Your thoughts about American football and especially the Arizona Cardinals team are greatly valued here.
    Thanks for the welcome. Like I say, I am still learning the intricacies of the game, but hope to add/learn something where I can. I am a long time reader of the boards but only just plucked up the courage to sign up and post haha.

Interesting not one WR on your list, despite every mock draft this year telling us we will take a WR as a 'Fitz replacement' haha. I know BA doesn't 'value' WR in the first round, but it will be interesting this year if Fitz does retire there is one big whole to fill in the slot and on third/fourth downs. Then if John Brown doesn't look the same player he could quite easily go elsewhere as he is in a contract year, there goes one of our speed guys. Jaron Brown is also in a contract year and coming off the back of a knee, there is goes our red zone target. God knows which of the guys currently working out will make the roster but it's likely to be Fitz, John Brown, Chad Williams, JJ Nelson, Jaron Brown and Brittan Golden (imo). Hopefully Nelson carries on progressing and becomes John Brown-lite and Chad Williams can become that big bodied red zone target. Two names spring to mind in the draft as potential first rounders and that is going to be Christian Kirk and Calvin Ridley. It is too early though to say if either of these guys are going to be WR1 material. Courtland Sutton is meant to be a really good prospect but I Have seen jack all of him, though I do worry about selecting big WR's from small schools, especially first round. I'm a big fan of James Washington too, after watching a lot Oklahoma State when checking out Rudolf, he could be a great pick up in the second/third round. I don't think WR was a position of need this draft but next year, worst case, it could be.

(PS this is my first post, please be gentle. I'm a UK based fan who has only been following the game for a couple of years. Last year was my first year watching college ball but I love the draft process and seeing how it all develops.)
    Welcome to the board...what part of the U.K.? Going to the London game?

Thanks for the welcome. Like I say, I am still learning the intricacies of the game, but hope to add/learn something where I can. I am a long time reader of the boards but only just plucked up the courage to sign up and post haha.
    Welcome Kyle. Are you an NFL fan or a Cardinal fan? Just curious what made you pick the Cardinals if that's the case?
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Agree with you on McFadden. Others:

Christian Wilkins, 4-3 DT but can play 3-4 DE, Clemson
    Arden Key, Edge, LSU
    Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas

Key probably goes top-10 though if he has the season he should.
    Assuming we pick 24-32, those guys wount be there.

Key is a top tenner lock. Malik is an early teen. Wilkins will likely be a teen. Maybe a slim chance of falling to us, but not likely enough to put him on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    We took Cooper in the first, Humphries in the first, spent huge money on Veldheer and Iupati, took Dorian this year, an early Center last year, signed a Pro Bowl Super Bowl winning G from Denver in Mathis last year, and tons of other lower level draft picks and moves on the Oline, all in the short BASK era. They aren't being cheap on the Oline by any means.
    Then Nelson will fit right in. We got very very lucky with Dorian. I dont like relying on chance to land top guys. If Nelson is there next year, I say take him. An elite G is not sexy but its ultimately one of the single most beneficial additions you can make long term.

The worst argument that Ive heard is that "Cooper was a bust, therefore you shouldnt take Gs in the 1st". Leinart was a bust. Should you not take QBs in the 1st as well? The lunacy of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    2018 is the year we draft a QB in round 1. We might mortgage the future and trade up

I'm all in with this 2018 QB class
    Assuming we pick 24-32, moving up to the top 5 will take a trade that will set you back a decade.

I disagree. Unless its Andrew Luck, you dont cut your teams head off. Theres always next year.

Actually I think we are very good shape WR-wise. Theres alot of TBD involved. Is John healthy? Is Chad any good? Is Jarons knee healed up? If all those check out, then I feel good about this unit post Fitz.

We have our 2 bigs on the outside with Jaron and Chad. John in the slot. JJ the deep man.
    Last edited by Zaz; 06-08-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Yeah I think QB and CB2 are our biggest needs depending on if we resign John Brown and JJ Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Agree with you on McFadden. Others:

Christian Wilkins, 4-3 DT but can play 3-4 DE, Clemson
    Arden Key, Edge, LSU
    Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas

Key probably goes top-10 though if he has the season he should.
    Here is a writeup on Malik Jefferson (Reddick 2.0) ?? http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...mjefferson.php

Others to add:
    • Toliver CB LSU
    • James Washington WR, OSU
    • Courtland Sutton WR, SMU
    • Andrew Brown DT/DE Virginia

[QUOTE=Zaz;1171697]

Assuming we pick 24-32, moving up to the top 5 will take a trade that will set you back a decade.

Yeah, obviously KC will not be relevant again until 2027.
    Last edited by CardCore; 06-08-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

I disagree. Unless its Andrew Luck, you dont cut your teams head off. Theres always next year.
    It took the Falcons two firsts, a second and two fourths to move up from 26 to 5 in 2011 for Julio Jones. We have two 3rds next year.
    Last edited by Birdgang95; 06-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    It took the Falcons two firsts, a second and two fourths to move up from 26 to 5 in 2011 for Julio Jones. We have two 3rds next year.
    That was for a WR. When the player up for sale is a QB, the price goes way up because there will likely be many other teams trying to trade for him as well.