Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Palmer with a ring to the Hall of Fame?

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerCardinal View Post
    It's funny that you should mention the era thing. There are 3 others from his era that will be knocking on the door, or mentioned as possible candidates of the HOF and all three have very similar regular season statistics. Especially when you factor in number of games played. Eli and Big ben have the Super Bowls but Phillip Rivers does not.

I've purposely stayed away from this thread as most would see it as only being a Palmer homer. As his friend I would love to see him get it. If nothing else he has been consistent in climbing the all-time list. Outside of his first year and years were he was injured for a majority of the year he has consistently been at or above 4000 yds per year. And if he plays 2 more years, which at this point is at a minimum "likely", and have just average years for him. He will end his career in the top 10 all time in yards and TD passes. Passing even John Elway who played more years. He would be the highest ranked person on the lists to NOT make the HOF and surrounded by many that did make it with less stats. And even an equal number of SB wins (zero). Vinny Testaverde would be the next highest and he had to play 21 years to get there. And Carson will blow past him by the 8th game this year.

CP played for 3 teams that when he joined each of them they were poorly performing teams. The Great Dan Marino played for a storied franchise and didn't get the SB ring either. And I'm not trying to compare CP to Marino. But rather to point out that fate has a hand in things too. Was it Bill Parcels or maybe one of the Ryan brothers that said "you are what your record is". Well, one could say, "you are what your stats are".
    Good post and this is the reason I don't think Warren Moon should be in the HOF just because he stats are there. Eli is going in on durability and beating Brady head to head twice on the big stage. In many ways Eli is the anti-Payton. Tin head, nerves of steel in the clutch. He has also been amazingly durable and playing in NY doesn't hurt. Ben has to go in. The guy is simply a huge playmaker. You can't ignore that and just go with stats. Rivers is interesting. To me very good but he ain't Dan Marino and doesn't go in without a ring. He played for some really good teams that came up short. Championships matter, how you play in the big spots matter. Ben and Eli played big in big games and that counts.

Marino is in the conversation of one of the top 5 QB's of all time. He carried mediocre teams and is an all time great that transcends era. I can't see mentioning Palmer in the same sentence even though I just did.

Default Breakng News ?

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerCardinal View Post
    And if he plays 2 more years, which at this point is at a minimum "likely"
    If CP does play 2 more years and increases his yardage by 8,800 yds, then he has a shot. Of course if Philip Rivers gets in the HOF with no SB appearances, then one could argue CP should also get in; however I do think at this point CP needs to at least get the Cards to the SB and play well in the game. I really hope us Card fans are at the beginning of a magic ride for 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    If CP does play 2 more years and increases his yardage by 8,800 yds, then he has a shot. Of course if Philip Rivers gets in the HOF with no SB appearances, then one could argue CP should also get in; however I do think at this point CP needs to at least get the Cards to the SB and play well in the game. I really hope us Card fans are at the beginning of a magic ride for 2017.
    Rivers has been consistently better. Much better won/lost. Higher completion percentage, more TD's, less INT's, higher Adjusted yards per attempt, higher QBR. You could argue it but Rivers is better on all the statistical points.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Rivers has been consistently better. Much better won/lost. Higher completion percentage, more TD's, less INT's, higher Adjusted yards per attempt, higher QBR. You could argue it but Rivers is better on all the statistical points.
    And Rivers is still not a HOF QB.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    And Rivers is still not a HOF QB.
    Based on the era and the QB's that are his contemporaries, I agree. That said the HOF seems to put a premium on very good with longevity over burst of great that create championships.

If he wins these next two Superbowl's, then probably a good chance. One won't do it, he doesn't have the playoff numbers or consistency. 2 rings and his stats by then would probably put him in.