Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmer with a ring to the Hall of Fame?

Default Palmer with a ring to the Hall of Fame?

Don't kill me, I'm just the messenger.

Article considers Palmer going the HOF if he gets a SB ring:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...m-hall-of-fame

Even if Palmer wins a ring, I don't think that gets him into the hall. The guy has never been an elite QB. sure he has a couple years where he has been good. He also has had more than his share of years where he wasn't so good. Guy even with a ring is not a HOF QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Even if Palmer wins a ring, I don't think that gets him into the hall. The guy has never been an elite QB. sure he has a couple years where he has been good. He also has had more than his share of years where he wasn't so good. Guy even with a ring is not a HOF QB.
    He was absolutely elite for 3 seasons including 2015 with the Cardinals. Those weren't good seasons they were elite seasons. I still don't see him as a HOF QB. Of course they're are QB's in the HOF who weren't elite either.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    He was absolutely elite for 3 seasons including 2015 with the Cardinals. Those weren't good seasons they were elite seasons. I still don't see him as a HOF QB. Of course they're are QB's in the HOF who weren't elite either.
    See Troy Aikman and Joe Namath.

Both from teams with lots of media attention but little in the way of superior player stats.

At 1st i was..CP HOF..NO way...but then there is the Distinction of being the 1st QB to win The Cardinals a SB....He would be a first rounder..

Not only that,Az would probably rename that State Bird after him
    Last edited by RimrockCard; 06-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

I posted something along these lines before last season --- if CP passes for 4,200-4,500 yds this year, he will be the 9th all-time QB in Yardage and only 600 more yds away from 8th. If Cardinals would beat the Patriots (Brady) or Steelers (Ben) in the SB, I would think he definitely would have a chance but I think he would need to out duel a future HOF to make the cut. BTW: It wouldn't hurt his chances if he beat Aaron Rodgers in the NFC championship game to make it to the SB and then go onto win the SB over another all-time QB ... of course this is my dream scenario for the 2017 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    See Troy Aikman and Joe Namath.

Both from teams with lots of media attention but little in the way of superior player stats.
    I saw them both and would put both of them in. Namath completely changed the game of football. Very short career full of injuries but he belongs, freak talent. I compare Namath at QB to Sayers at running back. If you saw them when healthy you knew they were something special. Lombardi and Walsh both thought Namath was amazingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I saw them both and would put both of them in. Namath completely changed the game of football. Very short career full of injuries but he belongs, freak talent. I compare Namath at QB to Sayers at running back. If you saw them when healthy you knew they were something special. Lombardi and Walsh both thought Namath was amazingly good.
    Unfortunately for me, I remember the Cards drafting Namath only to have him sign with the now AFC. His career stats are pretty mediocre---he barely reached a 50% completion percentage; 173 TDs vs 220 Int.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...N/NamaJo00.htm

You are right about the injuries---he came into the league with bad knees and they only got worse.

He had some flash and brash---predicting a Jet win over the heavily favored Colts in the SB---but he was a hero to the NY media and that's why he is in the HOF.

(Don't get me started on Aikman---another straw man pushed into the Hall because he played for the Cowpies)
    Last edited by Canyonram; 06-10-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Unfortunately for me, I remember the Cards drafting Namath only to have him sign with the now AFC. His career stats are pretty mediocre---he barely reached a 50% completion percentage; 173 TDs vs 220 Int.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...N/NamaJo00.htm

You are right about the injuries---he came into the league with bad knees and they only got worse.

He had some flash and brash---predicting a Jet win over the heavily favored Colts in the SB---but he was a hero to the NY media and that's why he is in the HOF.

(Don't get me started on Aikman---another straw man pushed into the Hall because he played for the Cowpies)
    Namath was pretty much done after 72. He came into the league injured. You have to realize that even early in his career when he had low completion percentage he was still leading the league in yards per attempt. He completely changed the game. If you really want to see why Joe is in the HOF you should look at tape of the Colts game in 1972. He and Unitas got into a classic shoot out. Namath was 15 for 28 for 496 yards and 6 TDF's. it was also one of Unitas best games. Think about the total yards and the completion percentage? 6 TDs 496 yards on 15 completions. He was a total anomaly. He couldn't move forward or side to side but had an amazingly quick and deep drop and an absolute rocket of an arm and the ball came out in an instant. He played in an era where it wasn't easy to throw the ball and teams generally didn't. Unitas in 67, arguably one of his greatest seasons had a much higher completion percentage but they completed almost the exact same amount of passes. Namath had over 4,000 yards, Unitas had over 3400 yards. Namath record stood for 12 years. He wasn't a game manager he was drawing up plays in the dirt and throwing down the field. When the Jets had a solid over all team he dialed it back and won a SB. He literally changed the passing game in the NFL. He was also the biggest draw every game he played in on the road.

The reason I compare him to Sayers is Sayers like Namath weren't just football players. They were the circus back than. You literally couldn't take your eyes off of them. Dan Marino, never won a SB but if you watch lots of tape on him it's hard to not think he might have been the greatest QB of all time. Sometimes freak talent has to be separated from the team aspect and just enjoyed for the show. Namath was the show.

Aikman was almost the exact oppositie but you can't take away his rings. 3 rings equals automatic HOF for a QB.
    Last edited by Biggs; 06-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Definitely seeing it being considered if he were to win it all for the cards this may sound contradictory. I always reference two great Qb's that didn't win it all and I thought they should be candidates for the HOF and that is Dan Fouts and Dan Marino. That is just my opinion. Winning a SB does not determine if a player was great at his position or not .SB teams are champions because the over all talent on the team in my opinion.

Although there are personal performances by players that should have them considered for the HOF in my opinion. I think for Palmer if he were to win it all he should be in the conversation for the HOF.