Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Palmer with a ring to the Hall of Fame?

I like Carson but no

He's always been in that Eli tier to me even though Eli had 2 good playoff runs. Always put up pretty good numbers but never a point where I thought "yeah he's a legit top 5 QB".

No. Heck no.

In fact I find it ridiculous that Kurt Warner is in our ROH. He gave us 3 good seasons. 2 winning records. Got benched for Leinart and Mccown in the other 2. And 1 superbowl appearance.

I think Warners success here is more a reflection of how little success we've had in AZ, and thus the little Warner gave us is considered legendary.

Consider that in essentially the same amount of time Colin Kaepernick won more games for SF and took them to 3 NFC championships and 1 superbowl.

CK had a complete team around him. Warner never did. CK had Gore in his prime. The Smith boys plus others on defense. Probably one of the top 2 defenses for a number of years. Let's don't compare CK to Warner. One was a real QB and the other was a wanna bee QB. And if you need me to tell you which is which you don't know that much about football.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    No. Heck no.

In fact I find it ridiculous that Kurt Warner is in our ROH. He gave us 3 good seasons. 2 winning records. Got benched for Leinart and Mccown in the other 2. And 1 superbowl appearance.

I think Warners success here is more a reflection of how little success we've had in AZ, and thus the little Warner gave us is considered legendary.

Consider that in essentially the same amount of time Colin Kaepernick won more games for SF and took them to 3 NFC championships and 1 superbowl.

I'll go on record as agreeing w/ you on the subject of Warner in the ROH.

The guy is a great humanitarian, great Christian, philanthropist and all that, gotta give him that. I really don't see how 2 very good seasons with the team gets him in the ROH though. With a record of 9-7 in 2008 and 10-6 in 2009, it has to be primarily based on a losing SB performance.

YeeHaw! The playoff run of 2008 was awesome as a fan, but that alone shouldn't be reason to put the guy in the ROH. His loyalty is to the Rams anyway.
    Last edited by CardCore; 06-14-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Default ROH Cred

The Cardinal franchise, like many around the NFL, have a PDA for their star players and contributors. This recognizes the feelings of their fans for beloved players and coaches and owners who have contributed above and beyond to the history of the team and the league.

To my knowledge, the Bidwill ownership has never made public any criteria for ROH consideration. This is perfectly acceptable and appropriate. It is their decision and perogative to manage their PR as they see fit. For instance, maybe QB Jim Hart is being honored this year because the year is 2017 and he proudly wore No.17 for a record number of years with the team, or, could it be that Jim's health has become too delicate and the team wants to see him enjoy the festivities to their fullest? The point is is that now he joins the rollcall...ooh rah!

For me, KW is well deserving because he had the cred to do what no other QB had yet done for us. His class, and talent, and courage, and leadership and other attributes combined to put the Cardinals and the Valley on the NFL map. Could Fitzgerald have set that playoffs' run NFL record without him? Ask Larry that question? Do you realize how difficult it must be for a QB to lead a wildcard team to a SB? Ask NFL head coaches' that?

He came to the Cardinals organization not to be the starter but a backup to a young pup QB. KW took the talent he had and moved the team in a direction where winning wasn't a surprise but possible. The benefits of what KW has done for the Cardinals are being built upon by MB and will be for many years to come. Personally, I don't care if KW was a one year wonder, which he was not, you fans have enjoyed a historical experience.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahah

Default Some facts about KW

Looking at KW's career, he came to the Cardinals after being in two Superbowls with the Rams. He won one Superbowl and was voted the Superbowl MVP his second MVP with the Rams. Coaches have said that he was the most accurate passer they have ever seen. He set the NFL record for passing accuracy with the Cardinals vs the Jacksonville Jaguars (need over 20 completions to be considered). He set another NFL record with the Cardinals when he beat the Green Bay Packers by throwing more TDs than incompletions in a playoff game. He owns 3 of the top 5 passing yardage totals in Superbowl history. He was in 13 playoff games and ranks #1 in completion percentage (66.5%) and #1 in yards per attempt (8.55).

He led a wild card Cardinal team to the Superbowl, with two outstanding receivers but a mediocre OL and poor protection. Kurt was not mobile at all but teams were careful about blitzing him, because he could read a defense quickly, find the open man and with a very quick release could get the ball to him. Besides his laudable personal qualities he was not easily daunted, even playing with a cast on his arm. Kurt had a lot of native talent and that is why the committee voted him into the hall of fame.

To me he has well deserved his HOF status. He is also considered the best undrafted NFL player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahah
    Darn, I re-read the whole thread and I still can't find the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by onanygivensunda View Post
    My criteria for a HoF player is that he is the best, or one of the best players at his position during his era.

Palmer doesn't come close. He's not even within sniffing distance.
    I like your point because when you look at stats it doesn't take into consideration the era and rule changes. Looking at players compared to other players of the same era is a good way to look at it. No matter what the rules great is visible during an era and average is also visible. Palmer was a guy who was separating into the elite mold until his devastating injury in the Pittsburgh playoff game followed by a protracted battle with the Bengals organization. He may well have been a HOF QB but it's clear at best he has had a nice late career with a good team and quarter back friendly coach. Very good but certainly not in the class of the HOF group of his era.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I like your point because when you look at stats it doesn't take into consideration the era and rule changes. Looking at players compared to other players of the same era is a good way to look at it. No matter what the rules great is visible during an era and average is also visible. Palmer was a guy who was separating into the elite mold until his devastating injury in the Pittsburgh playoff game followed by a protracted battle with the Bengals organization. He may well have been a HOF QB but it's clear at best he has had a nice late career with a good team and quarter back friendly coach. Very good but certainly not in the class of the HOF group of his era.
    It's funny that you should mention the era thing. There are 3 others from his era that will be knocking on the door, or mentioned as possible candidates of the HOF and all three have very similar regular season statistics. Especially when you factor in number of games played. Eli and Big ben have the Super Bowls but Phillip Rivers does not.

I've purposely stayed away from this thread as most would see it as only being a Palmer homer. As his friend I would love to see him get it. If nothing else he has been consistent in climbing the all-time list. Outside of his first year and years were he was injured for a majority of the year he has consistently been at or above 4000 yds per year. And if he plays 2 more years, which at this point is at a minimum "likely", and have just average years for him. He will end his career in the top 10 all time in yards and TD passes. Passing even John Elway who played more years. He would be the highest ranked person on the lists to NOT make the HOF and surrounded by many that did make it with less stats. And even an equal number of SB wins (zero). Vinny Testaverde would be the next highest and he had to play 21 years to get there. And Carson will blow past him by the 8th game this year.

CP played for 3 teams that when he joined each of them they were poorly performing teams. The Great Dan Marino played for a storied franchise and didn't get the SB ring either. And I'm not trying to compare CP to Marino. But rather to point out that fate has a hand in things too. Was it Bill Parcels or maybe one of the Ryan brothers that said "you are what your record is". Well, one could say, "you are what your stats are".