Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BA on QBs

Default BA on QBs

Summary article with BA's '10 pearls of wisdom' regarding what he looks for in a NFL QB:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/15...s-qb-whisperer

Article looks to be an expansion of this AZCentral podcast with Kent Summers:

http://www.azcentral.com/videos/spor...fast/99791226/

I love BA but don't trust him with QB evaluations. He favors size and arm strength over everything else that goes into becoming a successful QB (accuracy, intelligence, etc).

[QUOTE=Birdgang95;1171763]I love BA but don't trust him with QB evaluations. He favors size and arm strength over everything else that goes into becoming a successful QB (accuracy, intelligence, etc).[/QUO

Don't know how anyone who read the piece can come to that conclusion.

[QUOTE=Crazy-Canuck;1171767]
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    I love BA but don't trust him with QB evaluations. He favors size and arm strength over everything else that goes into becoming a successful QB (accuracy, intelligence, etc).[/QUO

They think that because BA has groomed big QB's like Manning, Luck, Rothlesburger etc.. Yes he does favor big QB's because thats how his offense works! Stay in the pocket and make the deep pass.. Its not science. Big boys just arent as fragile ie: Honey Badger.

[QUOTE=Crazy-Canuck;1171767]
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    I love BA but don't trust him with QB evaluations. He favors size and arm strength over everything else that goes into becoming a successful QB (accuracy, intelligence, etc).[/QUO

Agree. Looks like BA is talking about a package of traits that he looks for with size being one. He does downplay the 'rocket arm' as compared to good arm strength.

BA can spread the ** but in a general discussion of what he looks for in a QB, see no reason to not trust him.

Note the question posed to guys he brings in to evaluate when they sit down and look at that QB's bad plays. BA looks for accountability instead of putting the blame on his teammates. Gabbert take note if your attitude is to blame your teammates when a play goes bad.

Default I don't think Gabbert was a "reach" in 2011

My recollection is that he was rated around his draft spot on all the public boards at the time. In Bob McGinn's interviews with scouts and GMs 16 of 24 preferred him to Newton in that draft. Bit of revisionist history in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    My recollection is that he was rated around his draft spot on all the public boards at the time. In Bob McGinn's interviews with scouts and GMs 16 of 24 preferred him to Newton in that draft. Bit of revisionist history in that article.
    Yes. Even NFL.com in their pre-draft review had Gabbert rated-high, perhaps the first QB off the board

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ert?id=2495441

That revisionist history was from the author of the article and not a direct quote of BA's. I do believe BA stated that he had his own high eval of Gabbert prior to the draft.

My takeaway from all the BA quotes is that we now have some guidelines as to what BA is going to seek out in a QB. That goes for a vet QB or one taken in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Yes. Even NFL.com in their pre-draft review had Gabbert rated-high, perhaps the first QB off the board

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ert?id=2495441

That revisionist history was from the author of the article and not a direct quote of BA's. I do believe BA stated that he had his own high eval of Gabbert prior to the draft.

My takeaway from all the BA quotes is that we now have some guidelines as to what BA is going to seek out in a QB. That goes for a vet QB or one taken in the draft.
    Agreed. However, a lot of those qualities he looks for we will never know about. Makes me wonder if BA was really that high on Mahomes since he came out of an air raid and had to call no plays or make any presnap adjustments.

The problem with BA's style of QB it might not fit whit what the next coach wants. Lets face it BA isn't going to be around coaching all that much longer. If everything goes right I'd say 3 years tops. So now we have a QB that doesn't fit with what the new coach wants.

I hope SK takes all this into account when we get that new QB. I think Gabbert if he shows anything might be a stop gap for a couple 3 years, and give the Cards time to find their guy with a new head coach. Next guy comes in might want to run some form of west coast. Not BA's style of chuck it down the field.

I really like the match of Gabbert with Arians and the situation he's in now. Blaine has been through just about the worst situations imaginable for a young QB in the league. Having to start at 21 without benefit of pre season prep due to lockout, team being sold halfway through his first season, coaching turnover mid season, record setting injuries on the team his first two years. Then injuries of his own just as he started to get rolling, new staff on 5 year plan with high draft pick deciding to find "their guy". Landing in S.F. behind a QB who was just signed to a $120m deal and was only a couple years older. Having things blow up around him on the 9ers. Taking over as starter in his second year there only to have the coaching staff fired again at the end of the season. Winning the job again in camp only to have the team ripped apart by Kaepernick's race politics. Thrown under the bus by Chip Kelly once the season was lost to polish up Chip's murky race reputation. This is by far the healthiest football environment Gabbert has been in as a pro, and he still has all the tools that made him so attractive in 2011. Along with significant starting experience in all sorts of different systems. He had 40 starts before he turned 27. Brady, Brees, Palmer, Rodgers, Rivers, Wilson, etc. only had a few more at the same age. All of them had less than 50, I think. Cousins had 9 at that age, Romo 10.