Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BA on QBs

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    The problem with BA's style of QB it might not fit whit what the next coach wants. Lets face it BA isn't going to be around coaching all that much longer. If everything goes right I'd say 3 years tops. So now we have a QB that doesn't fit with what the new coach wants.

I hope SK takes all this into account when we get that new QB. I think Gabbert if he shows anything might be a stop gap for a couple 3 years, and give the Cards time to find their guy with a new head coach. Next guy comes in might want to run some form of west coast. Not BA's style of chuck it down the field.
    Do you really think any coach would turn their nose up at inheriting Rothlisberger, Manning or Luck?

Quote Originally Posted by boomer719 View Post
    Do you really think any coach would turn their nose up at inheriting Rothlisberger, Manning or Luck?
    Chip Kelly.

A whole lot of college coaches in line for a coaching job in the pros.

The guys you mentioned are all 'old school' dinosaurs. BenRoth is a hit away from retiring, P.Manning is history, Luck was a QB tutored by BA and has yet to rise above his poor surrounding team.

The rule changes that have gone toward protecting the offensive players now puts a premium on QBs who are mobile scramblers. DBs can't breath heavily on a WR or else it is pass interference.

Game in the college ranks is evolving away from the traditional old school offense and dinosaur QBs. The old school NFL coaches are on the way out as well as the old school QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Chip Kelly.

A whole lot of college coaches in line for a coaching job in the pros.

The guys you mentioned are all 'old school' dinosaurs. BenRoth is a hit away from retiring, P.Manning is history, Luck was a QB tutored by BA and has yet to rise above his poor surrounding team.

The rule changes that have gone toward protecting the offensive players now puts a premium on QBs who are mobile scramblers. DBs can't breath heavily on a WR or else it is pass interference.

Game in the college ranks is evolving away from the traditional old school offense and dinosaur QBs. The old school NFL coaches are on the way out as well as the old school QBs.
    And yet Chip enjoyed his best NFL success with Foles.

I would say that if a GM/Owner was looking to hire a new HC, the subject of QB would be high on the list of topics and that if a new prospective HC were to suggest they couldn't envision success with a Manning, Roethlisberger, or Luck? The interview would end post haste and the search for another option would begin immediately.

I also disagree with the idea that "old school" NFL coaching is on the way out. Or that the college game is going to produce massive change in the way the professional game is played. You have it backwards.

Running QB's do fine while they're young. After they've been SLAMMED into the ground a few hundred times they start rethinking their options. It might take a number of years for it to sink in, but eventually they all come around.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    I really like the match of Gabbert with Arians and the situation he's in now. Blaine has been through just about the worst situations imaginable for a young QB in the league. Having to start at 21 without benefit of pre season prep due to lockout, team being sold halfway through his first season, coaching turnover mid season, record setting injuries on the team his first two years. Then injuries of his own just as he started to get rolling, new staff on 5 year plan with high draft pick deciding to find "their guy". Landing in S.F. behind a QB who was just signed to a $120m deal and was only a couple years older. Having things blow up around him on the 9ers. Taking over as starter in his second year there only to have the coaching staff fired again at the end of the season. Winning the job again in camp only to have the team ripped apart by Kaepernick's race politics. Thrown under the bus by Chip Kelly once the season was lost to polish up Chip's murky race reputation. This is by far the healthiest football environment Gabbert has been in as a pro, and he still has all the tools that made him so attractive in 2011. Along with significant starting experience in all sorts of different systems. He had 40 starts before he turned 27. Brady, Brees, Palmer, Rodgers, Rivers, Wilson, etc. only had a few more at the same age. All of them had less than 50, I think. Cousins had 9 at that age, Romo 10.

I appreciate your efforts for assembling this post. It sheds even more light on the rough journey that Gabbert has endured and goes into a lot more detail than previous posts about perennial changes of HC & OC. I had forgotten about the lockout and the Jags ownership change happening while he was with them. He probably feels like he has landed in heaven here.

I applaud SK for basically reaching into the bargain bin and coming home with what could be a diamond in the rough. Lol...When I was a youngster in Phoenix I was playing in the front yard and found a ring that I assumed came from a bubble gum machine. I gave it to my younger sister instead of throwing it away. Unlike me, she actually cleaned it up & looked at it before deciding to save it. Many years later she learned that what I had assumed was cheap plastic was an opal.

I just hope BA & SK can rub the dirt off BG the same way.

Makes me can't help but wonder what he saw in Logan as opposed to Prescott.....or Gabbert as opposed to Kap'? And that 5'11 QB that Pete Carroll took, that BA rejects, has led his team to back to back SB appearances winning one and putting his team in the position of winning the second one if weren't for questionable play calling in the final seconds. I guess I'm a little surprised and dismayed by this article though granted no one is perfect no matter how good they are at their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhammer View Post
    Makes me can't help but wonder what he saw in Logan as opposed to Prescott.....or Gabbert as opposed to Kap'? And that 5'11 QB that Pete Carroll took, that BA rejects, has led his team to back to back SB appearances winning one and putting his team in the position of winning the second one if weren't for questionable play calling in the final seconds. I guess I'm a little surprised and dismayed by this article though granted no one is perfect no matter how good they are at their job.

Sounds like what you would LIKE to say is this: No one is perfect no matter how good they are at their job. Regardless of that fact, I want to piss and moan about BASK not taking Wilson, who was passed over by every team twice and surprised even Carroll by actually beating out Flynn.

You REFUSE to accept the fact that Kap SUCKS at standing in a pocket and delivering long passes with any accuracy whatsoever. It's not JUST that either. Here's an example of what you get with Colin: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/...eave-receivers

I will give you this. Drafting Logan Thomas displayed the same myopic mindset that Kaepernick displayed in the above clip. They had made up their mind what they were going to do, and when Prescott was right there for the taking, they stuck to their stupid plan.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    Sounds like what you would LIKE to say is this: No one is perfect no matter how good they are at their job. Regardless of that fact, I want to piss and moan about BASK not taking Wilson, who was passed over by every team twice and surprised even Carroll by actually beating out Flynn.

You REFUSE to accept the fact that Kap SUCKS at standing in a pocket and delivering long passes with any accuracy whatsoever. It's not JUST that either. Here's an example of what you get with Colin: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/...eave-receivers

I will give you this. Drafting Logan Thomas displayed the same myopic mindset that Kaepernick displayed in the above clip. They had made up their mind what they were going to do, and when Prescott was right there for the taking, they stuck to their stupid plan.
    lol..That 4 second clip shows you everything you need to know about Kap
    forget his politics ,forget his running..The Rams knew who he was
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post

I said what I wanted to say and always do so don't try and put words in my mouth. Meanwhile you can continue to try and downplay Kaps performance as though that (his performance) is the real issue all you want....but in doing so.......all you're showing is that facts don't matter as much as your own personal opinion which you continue to try and pass off as fact. That's the only "refusal". Furthermore, to accuse the experts of being dumb for decision making only makes you and your assessments look dumber, especially given someone with BA's QB track record and coach of the year awards. Finally when you say "I'll give you this", I would like to try and give you something in return but you haven't brought much with you for me to credit.

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    lol..That 4 second clip shows you everything you need to know about Kap
    forget his politics ,forget his running..The Rams knew who he was

Looks to me like what the Rams knew was where the play was going, not about some lack of respect for Kap. Judging from the wide receiver's frantic attempt to get Kap's attention at the bottom of the screen, it appears to me that he (Kap') is at fault for not reading the defense and calling an audible (assuming he had that option). That happens to every QB in the league at some point which is why a sack can occur.

Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    .. and had a better won/loss record under Gabbert the past two seasons, than under Kaepernick. That's the bottom line, how well the team performs, not that they were great with either at QB. But they scored more on average and gave up fewer on average with Gabbert guiding the ship. That seems to get overlooked when the politically correct crowd starts sputtering about what a victim Squidward is.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/9/2...ichael-bennett

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rs-starting-qb