Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Ain't easy being a Homer (and I don't mean Simpson)

Default It Ain't easy being a Homer (and I don't mean Simpson)

Fans like to believe that the coaching staff on their team is going to be the one to maximize a QB (even one with a losing record over his career);

Fans like to believe that the surrounding teammates on their team is to be the group to maximize a QB (even one who had plenty of talent at his previous stops);

Fans attitude toward a QB or player often have nothing to do with performance but instead the media image that they have been fed (the guy is a ‘game manager,’ the guy ‘has a big arm,’ the guy has ‘lost a step,’ the guy ‘is/is not mobile,’ etc). Stats on a guy can't trump the media image.

A good season or highlights in an important game live on forever in the fan’s imagination. The less knowledge the fan has about a player, the more the highlights or good game remain in memory as the defining image of that player.

Name recognition is very important in over estimating a player’s continued value—injuries and age are ignored if the name rings a bell. Once the player with name recognition is cut, fans all chime in to sign the guy to their team—what they are clamoring for is the past reputation and not necessarily the current value.

Fans overestimate loyalty by either the player to the team or the management to the player. Pro-football is a business and loyalty has little to do with where a player signs, who gets cut or traded, who is benched, etc. The player has a short window to make his bucks and management has a short window to put a winning product on the field before fans drift away. Fans are offended if a guy leaves of mgmt cuts a favorite player.

Fans posture over social issues only when it involves a marginal player or player with declining skills. A superstar player at his peak is forgiven almost all trespass. Even fans who voice disgust at a player will be back in front of the TV or in their seats once the player leads them to wins.

Hope springs eternal for fans and all manner of team weakness is overlooked by mental chess games to imagine how it is all going to work out for the best. On paper the team is lousy with plenty of holes in the roster; the fan's imagination everything is going to fall in perfect place. When the season goes down the drain, those same fans will proclaim that they ‘knew it all along’ and why didn’t mgmt solve the problem that they saw all along.

The more money a player makes the more his play is over valued and the longer it takes for fans to jump ship and realize he isn’t earning that salary. Minimum contract guys get cut and fans barely notice; a high contract guy gets cut and fans are in an uproar wondering what happened.

***Add some of your own***
    Last edited by Canyonram; 06-13-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Correct typos

Pretty good summation of this board.

JosEPh

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    Pretty good summation of this board.

JosEPh
    Actually the list is my confession for being a lifelong Cards fan. At one time or another, I have been guilty of each and every one of the comments on being a HOMER. LOL.

OK, so now I know that I am a homer. What do we call the, so called, fans that always seem to take a pessimistic view at every turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir60 View Post
    OK, so now I know that I am a homer. What do we call the, so called, fans that always seem to take a pessimistic view at every turn?
    We call those AriS

If you are talking about a long-term Cardinal fan, you call them a realist.

Realistic.
    Able to see the big picture.
    Honest.
    Last edited by Cardiac Card; 06-15-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Internet Antagonist
    Last edited by RimrockCard; 06-15-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

Add the following two points to my original list of Homerism philosophy:

The higher a player is taken in the draft, the more his play is over valued and the more leeway he is given for poor play. A high draft pick gets to keep his roster spot over a more qualified but lower round guy since teams are loathe to admit draft mistakes. It takes longer for fans and team management to jump ship and realize he wasn't worth the high pick. Lower round guys get cut and fans barely notice; a high draft guy gets cut and fans are in an uproar wondering how the scouting dept. and GM could be so stupid.

Each fan believes he knows more about pro-football than their team's management and coaching staff. Double down on that opinion when it comes to other fans of the team. If only they would just listen.

Quote Originally Posted by ecnelis View Post
    We call those AriS
    There is no sports fan worse then a homer like Joseph.

the team could have rod graves running it and put pile of **** on the field and him and mama will watch the games convinced the super bowl is right around the corner.

Thankfully I bring some levity to the situation.