Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only person upset the Cards didn't trade a 6th rounder for Greg Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    The Rams took him #2 overall. You dont think they tried EVERYTHING in order to salvage him before they cut him? They tried him at LT, G, RT. Everywhere. He impressively failed at all of them.
    What I know is -- Greg Robinson DESTROYED Alabama on running plays in college and was one of the best run blockers in college in last 10 yrs. Zaz -- please read this article from a Ram reporter citing that G. Robinson started his career at guard (for a whopping 3 games his rookie year) but from then on the "Offensive Genius" of Jeff Fisher played him at tackle thereafter .. in fact Left Tackle where he had to go against 260 lbs 3-4 OL athletic freaks so either you make Robinson get down to 305 to help with speed or to have Robinson stay at 320-325 and have him destroy people on run downs.

See his combine #'s which are VERY, VERY good for any OL but for someone weighing 335 lbs it is stellar -- http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...son?id=2543458 Only Taylor Lewan performed better than Robinson at the combine but he weighed 26 lbs less than Robinson.

IMO -- this was a lost opportunity unless Robinson shows up at Lions training camp at 340 plus or has a drug/alcohol issue -- the guy is an athletic freak for his size and easily is worth a 6th round draft pick. Time will tell.

Who would you cut from the current Card OL if the Cards had traded for Robinson? (Of course, this early in the roster building process you could cut anyone but to keep it simple, let's consider OL)

Also, I assume that the Cards are going to finish higher in the standings than the Lions and will have a lower pick in the 6th round of the next draft. Would Cards need to top the Lions #6 by offering a #5?

So far, SK is hoarding both picks and $$$. Is he building up assets to be free to make some bold moves next year? If so, he may want to hold on to as many picks/cap space as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Crazy how the Rams got away with grand theft of the Redskins for RGIII and the only player they still selected that's still even on the team is Alec Olgetree. Talk about a waste
    and Broeckers...

2 of 8

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Who would you cut from the current Card OL if the Cards had traded for Robinson? (Of course, this early in the roster building process you could cut anyone but to keep it simple, let's consider OL)

Also, I assume that the Cards are going to finish higher in the standings than the Lions and will have a lower pick in the 6th round of the next draft. Would Cards need to top the Lions #6 by offering a #5?

So far, SK is hoarding both picks and $$$. Is he building up assets to be free to make some bold moves next year? If so, he may want to hold on to as many picks/cap space as possible.
    Raze brought up G. Robinson many weeks ago and I posted that I liked the idea of trading for him .... So then the Cards could have gotten Robinson prior to Lions even being involved since the Lions only made a call once they lost their tackle recently

Secondly -- Toner is gone if Robinson beats him out. Heck a 2nd benefit of bringing in a motivated Robinson is to send a signal to Iupati that he needs to step it up because SK just got a VETERAN who could take your place. Boehm is the center and Dorian is the RG after this season so if Robinson shows coaches he is still a gifted athlete and is a great guard then bye-bye to Iupati in 2018 and his $10M + salary cap hit.

Watch the week 16 game in LA last season

We ate that entire OL up

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    What I know is -- Greg Robinson DESTROYED Alabama on running plays in college and was one of the best run blockers in college in last 10 yrs. Zaz -- please read this article from a Ram reporter citing that G. Robinson started his career at guard (for a whopping 3 games his rookie year) but from then on the "Offensive Genius" of Jeff Fisher played him at tackle thereafter .. in fact Left Tackle where he had to go against 260 lbs 3-4 OL athletic freaks so either you make Robinson get down to 305 to help with speed or to have Robinson stay at 320-325 and have him destroy people on run downs.

See his combine #'s which are VERY, VERY good for any OL but for someone weighing 335 lbs it is stellar -- http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...son?id=2543458 Only Taylor Lewan performed better than Robinson at the combine but he weighed 26 lbs less than Robinson.

IMO -- this was a lost opportunity unless Robinson shows up at Lions training camp at 340 plus or has a drug/alcohol issue -- the guy is an athletic freak for his size and easily is worth a 6th round draft pick. Time will tell.

Your defense of him is nothing but college, college, college.

Doesnt matter. In the NFL hes a bust, plain and simple. His glory days dont matter. Vernon Gholston was one of the most dominant college DE's of all time, zero career NFL sacks. I could name 50 "all time great" college players who washed out in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post

Sorry I forgot to add the link showing Robinson only played guard 3 games his rookie year until an injury forced him to play tackle which was his position every game thereafter for ALL remaining seasons -- http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...t_pick_up.html
    Last edited by SurpriseCardFan; 06-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    Watch the week 16 game in LA last season

We ate that entire OL up
    Sorry that doesn't prove anything since G. Robinson was INACTIVE for game 16 (maybe he would have improved their OL play) .... remember in 2016 teams put 8 in the box to dare Goff to throw and the Rams didn't have anyone really on the outside as a receiver threat (Tavon is over-rated as he is good on WR screens and jet sweeps only) so the OL didn't have much of a chance. However -- please read this and know Greg Robinson was not active for the game vs. Cards -- https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/1...-17-inactives?

ill also point out you are very enamored by size.

Arguably the best OG in the NFL for the last 5 years, Marshal Yanda, is an average size guard at 6'3 310. FYI, that is an ENORMOUS human being. Anything more is not necessary. USC OT Zach Banner who went undrafted is 6'8 350 pounds. There is a point of diminishing returns.

Your idea is that at his size he can be a dominant G because he will just be an immovable object. The issue is that G's need to be every bit as mobile as Ts. That is the sole purpose we drafted Cooper. Extremely nimble.

For whatever reason, both Robinson and Cooper, both 1% talents in this world, cant hang in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    ill also point out you are very enamored by size.

Arguably the best OG in the NFL for the last 5 years, Marshal Yanda, is an average size guard at 6'3 310. FYI, that is an ENORMOUS human being. Anything more is not necessary. USC OT Zach Banner who went undrafted is 6'8 350 pounds. There is a point of diminishing returns.

Your idea is that at his size he can be a dominant G because he will just be an immovable object. The issue is that G's need to be every bit as mobile as Ts. That is the sole purpose we drafted Cooper. Extremely nimble.

For whatever reason, both Robinson and Cooper, both 1% talents in this world, cant hang in the NFL.
    Admittedly I am enamored by FREAK athletes with good tape (why I said Cards should draft David Johnson in 3rd round 2 months before draft - did you see DJ's combine #'s ??) -- hmmmm ... apparently you missed my post above where if I coached the Rams I would have wanted Robinson to get to 305 lbs.

So let me be clear -- in lieu of G. Robinson having a alcohol/drug issue or a Levi Brown issue (has no interest in playing football but it earns him a nice check), I think G. Robinson playing in the 315-320 lbs range at guard (especially at 6'5") can be very good especially in more of a man blocking scheme. Greg Robinson at greater than 330 lbs playing LT trying to to take on DE's who can run 4.6 40's -- I posted a couple of years ago a plethora of players who failed at tackle but got moved inside to guard and made multiple Pro Bowls so it is very possible.

Of course the problem is the Lions are going to play him at tackle (due to injury to their tackle) so he may very well fail in Detroit.